Draft prospect to keep an eye on IMO for the Bills: RB, Roschon Johnson, Texas

Alphadawg7

Looking at the draft and trying to envision how the early rounds could unfold and who might be targets as we start entering into day 3, there is one guy that keeps standing out to me, and that is RB, Roschon, Johnson from Texas.

I already know there are going to be people here whose first response is that he isn't fast enough.  He ran fast enough at the combine to silence those concerns, but if anyone is focusing on just that anyway then they are missing the bigger picture with Johsnon who was the backup to Bijan this year.  His acceleration is the same as both Bijan and Gibbs, they just have a higher long ball speed.  But we already have home run speed in Cook, what we need is that slasher tough runner who can keep moving the chains, and Roschon is all that and more.  

A former 4 star recruit at QB, converted to RB out of team necessity, he has gone on to excel in just about every way imaginable for a RB.  Not only is he is tough runner, he is very good in all the other aspects of being a RB including as a receiver, blocking, and pass protection.  He was also the best special teams player for Texas.  

Everything about this guy has McBeane written all over him.  And most people didn't even notice that the Bills took him out to dinner because the Bills took both him and Bijan out together and everyone was so focused on Bijan.  So there is established interest here both in the player and the position by Beane and the Bills.

We carried a RB in Taiwan for years despite providing no contributions at RB just because of what he brought to ST's.  Roschon is a guy who could contribute both as a RB and a ST ace.  He is rising up the draft boards as GM's have been salivating at how versatile he is.  I've seen a lot of chatter that some GM's even think he might be the most versatile back in the draft.  

While I am not posting with this based on any "inside" knowledge of the significance of the Bills interest, I do think the fit here is intriguing as a duo with Cook.  And based on what I know of Beane and McD, he feels like someone who would be in real consideration as we get into day 3 and on of the draft.  We already have our faster home run threat in Cook, Roschon could be that potential compliment to Cook to groom behind Harris this year while also being a valuable ST contributor.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He has some Karlos Williams about him. Upright style, bigger back, not super fast. Think we took Karlos round 5. That is about the right place for this guy too. 

He isn't a lead back but if you are a team with an undersized speed back as your #1 (we might be) then a bigger change of pace guy isn't the worst idea.

EDIT: he isn't gonna be Taiwan Jones on STs as a rookie though. I don't think people realise how good Jones was at his job.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He has some Karlos Williams about him. Upright style, bigger back, not super fast. Think we took Karlos round 5. That is about the right place for this guy too. 

He isn't a lead back but if you are a team with an undersized speed back as your #1 (we might be) then a bigger change of pace guy isn't the worst idea.

EDIT: he isn't gonna be Taiwan Jones on STs as a rookie though. I don't think people realise how good Jones was at his job.

The comparison to pre-fat Karlos Williams makes a lot of sense.  As far as being Taiwan Jones level of special teams ace, yeah I wasn't suggesting that he would be as good as Taiwan was as a rookie, but more highlighting the degree that McBeane value ST contributions by carrying someone like Taiwan solely for his ST contributions.  And Roschon represents an opportunity to get someone who could both contribute at their designated position and be valuable on special teams. 

There is a lot of buzz he is rising up draft boards, so I am not sure he gets to us in the 5th.  I think he could go anywhere between the 3rd and 5th rounds, so will be interesting to see how it plays out. 

14 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Looking at the draft and trying to envision how the early rounds could unfold and who might be targets as we start entering into day 3, there is one guy that keeps standing out to me, and that is RB, Roschon, Johnson from Texas.

I already know there are going to be people here whose first response is that he isn't fast enough.  He ran fast enough at the combine to silence those concerns, but if anyone is focusing on just that anyway then they are missing the bigger picture with Johsnon who was the backup to Bijan this year. 

A former 4 star recruit at QB, converted to RB out of team necessity, he has gone on to excel in just about every way imaginable for a RB.  Not only is he is tough runner, he is very good in all the other aspects of being a RB including as a receiver, blocking, and pass protection.  He was also the best special teams player for Texas.  

Everything about this guy has McBeane written all over him.  And most people didn't even notice that the Bills took him out to dinner because the Bills took both him and Bijan out together and everyone was so focused on Bijan.  So there is established interest here both in the player and the position by Beane and the Bills.

We carried a RB in Taiwan for years despite providing no contributions at RB just because of what he brought to ST's.  Roschon is a guy who could contribute both as a RB and a ST ace.  He is rising up the draft boards as GM's have been salivating at how versatile he is.  I've seen a lot of chatter that some GM's even think he might be the most versatile back in the draft.  

While I am not posting with this based on any "inside" knowledge of the significance of the Bills interest, I do think the fit here is intriguing as a duo with Cook.  And based on what I know of Beane and McD, he feels like someone who would be in real consideration as we get into day 3 and on of the draft.  We already have our faster home run threat in Cook, Roschon could be that potential compliment to Cook to groom behind Harris this year while also being a valuable ST contributor.  

Great prospect!  Just wondering though, if we keep 4 RB on the roster this year?  Hines is our new special teamer (Jones), but also gets on the field for a small number of passing downs.

As the draft approaches, my love affair for Roschon has only increased.  I can't shake what an ideal fit he would be in Buffalo and his stock is only continuing to rise to the point now that I think he very well could go day 2 in the 2nd round.  It wouldn't surprise me if he was the 3rd or 4th RB off the board.  

And that being said, if he was there in the 2nd at 59, I honestly would not be upset if we took him that early because I think he is going to be that good and an excellent pairing with Cook as a tandem for the next few years.  I had hoped to get him in the 3rd, but I think there is a solid chance he is gone before that pick. 

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Sad 1

On 4/18/2023 at 6:42 AM, Herb Nightly said:

One of the guys I would like to see them take ,for the reasons you mentioned. But,I don't think he has shown much as a receiver; maybe thats just lack of use. 

Why does every HB we get have to show much as a Receiver? You get a guy like that for third and 1 so you do not have to use JA as a battering ram every game. 

46 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

As the draft approaches, my love affair for Roschon has only increased.  I can't shake what an ideal fit he would be in Buffalo and his stock is only continuing to rise to the point now that I think he very well could go day 2 in the 2nd round.  It wouldn't surprise me if he was the 3rd or 4th RB off the board.  

And that being said, if he was there in the 2nd at 59, I honestly would not be upset if we took him that early because I think he is going to be that good and an excellent pairing with Cook as a tandem for the next few years.  I had hoped to get him in the 3rd, but I think there is a solid chance he is gone before that pick. 

He's definitely going higher than we'll want to draft a dude, I think 3rd rd is his floor. Which is too bad, because for awhile his stock was getting undervalued...

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I love him too…. But 59, oh man.  I’d rather trade up for Bijan.  

and I reaaaally don’t want to trade up for Bijan

Edited by NewEra

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I love him too…. But 59, oh man.  I’d rather trade up for Bijan.  

and I reaaaally don’t want to trade up for Bijan

I also would much prefer the 3rd, just saying I wouldn't be upset if he ended up being the pick in the 2nd because I don't think he makes it to us in the 3rd.  Or maybe we trade up from our 3rd to get him too, I would be ok with that as well.

On 4/17/2023 at 5:08 PM, GunnerBill said:

The guy who I always found to be truly impressive was Zach Charbonnet. Your thoughts on him? I think he has the style and talent to be a pretty good pro.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The guy who I always found to be truly impressive was Zach Charbonnet. Your thoughts on him? I think he has the style and talent to be a pretty good pro.

Yea he is my next guy up after Bijan and Gibbs. I have a 2nd/3rd borderline on him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea he is my next guy up after Bijan and Gibbs. I have a 2nd/3rd borderline on him.

I agree on where Charbonnet likely goes and I think it’s a close grade between him and Roschon personally.  I personally prefer Roschon for his versatility though

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Charbonnet is an interesting e v a l. He's got a phenomenal build, and for it tested pretty well. I got to see him live last year and he certainly looks the part. 

The thing I keep coming back to is Chip Kelly RBs. Yes, it's helmet scouting, but Chip RBs haven't faired well in the NFL and Charbonnet transferred from Michigan for a reason. For the draft price it will take to get him (agree on the late 2/early 3 grade) I would probably pass on him/rather we spend the pick elsewhere and take a guy like Evans or Kendre Miller later in the draft, but can definitely see a scenario where he becomes a bellcow back in this league. Can also see him being a massive bust...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.