GunnerBill

On 4/5/2023 at 10:32 AM, gonzo1105 said:

My sleepers in this draft are:

Nick Saldiveri OG/OC Old Dominion

Marte Mapu LB/S Sacramento State

Karl Brooks DT Bowling Green

Nic Jones CB/S Ball State 

Jake Andrew C Troy

This post got me looking into Saldiveri a couple days ago.  Idk if it’s just the poor level of competition he played against, but he really impressed me. I see the upside.

let me know if you watch any of my crush, LB- Drake Thomas-   

Has anyone watched him? 

On 4/5/2023 at 11:26 AM, GunnerBill said:

I am on record as not thinking this is the strongest draft I've ever seen (understatement). But there are still a few guys that as I have worked through the tape have taken my eye as potential sleepers. This thread in previous years has been where I've highlighted the likes of Robby Anderson, DJ Reed, Juwan Johnson, our own Tyrel Dodson and Jaylen Watson, the Chiefs 7th round rookie corner who started in the Superbowl. 

So here is my list for this year's draft (grades are where I have them not where I necessarily think they will be drafted):

Jose Ramirez, EDGE, Eastern Michigan

4th round grade

Ramirez flashed for me in the East-West Shrine game back in January. He is just a natural pass rusher. Love his explosion, love his rip move and when he gets those long arms on blockers they find it difficult to get back into the down. He is an older prospect, will turn 24 right after the draft, but that means he comes in as a man ready to go. He is probably a situational pass rusher at the next level in sub packages rather than an every down starter but I expect a team to take a swing maybe around the round 4 comp pick range.

Darius Rush, Cornerback, South Carolina

2nd round grade

It is rare I include someone on a sleeper list that I am this high on but even after impressive display at the Senior Bowl the hype train has been slow to kick into gear for Rush. He ran a 4.36 at the Combine, he has size, super long arms and he is aggressive at the catch point. Okay he doesn’t have the quick twitchy feet you might ideally want and maybe he is more of a zone guy than someone who can mirror receivers in man coverage, but I think this is a plug and play outside corner at the next level.

Bryce Ford-Wheaton, Wide Receiver, West Virginia

5th round grade

The reasons to like Ford-Wheaton are obvious. He is 6’4, ran a 4.38 at the Combine, has long arms and really good hands in contested catch situations. The reasons to dislike him are the route running which is imprecise, the route tree which is non-existent, and the fact that he doesn’t seem to play to his speed or separate that well. But he must be worth a punt for someone because if you can coach him up he can be a monster.

Jalen Graham, Linebacker, Purdue

5th round grade

One of my favourite players in the draft and the consensus on him seems to be he could even go undrafted. But man does this guy play with energy and passion. He is like a cannonball firing at the snap and when he hits you know you have been hit. He also displays good coverage skills as a former safety, especially in zone. You might need to commit some time to his development but this kid can play.

Trey Dean III, Safety, Florida

4th round grade

Another that I know I am higher than the consensus on, but I love him. He is probably too easy to manipulate in coverage to be an every down starter early, but he can be used as a matchup weapon in the passing game. I think as a sub package dime he could cover some of the league’s more athletic tight ends and even match up with bigger slot receivers.

Jordan Mims, Running Back, Fresno State

6th/7th round grade

Jordan Mims isn’t going to wow anyone with speed, he isn’t a power back either, but he is the kind of guy who can carve out a niche for himself in the NFL as a receiving back on 3rd down. He has good vision both when rushing and running after the catch and he has some return value. Kid has a chance to stick on a roster somewhere and make an impact.

Chandler Zavala, Guard, North Carolina State

3rd round grade

I only watched Zavala this week after a friend messaged me on the back of his pro-day. Zavala wasn’t even invited to the Combine but did play at the Shrine game. He wasn’t one that particularly took my eye that day either but watching his film I like this guy. I think he is a better pass blocker than run blocker, but he has nice nimble feet, he can move when he gets out in front and he uses his hands well. The only negative is his age - he is already 24 - but I think he can start in the NFL as a rookie.

As ever the invitation is for people to flame away / disagree or add their own! Last year Pacheco, Woolen and Malcom Rodriguez were all mentioned by posters in the sleeper thread. 

how was Zavala not invited to the combine!!   

I agree, likely 3rd round pick there.  

20 hours ago, NewEra said:

Anyone have thoughts on Drake Thomas?

https://thedraftnetwork.com/sr-prospect/drake-thomas-fcafb114-0a24-4bbf-8ad9-de285b8d675f/

What am I missing other than short with short arms?  Trouble shedding blocks.    Dude looks like a baller to me.  

Thanks for mentioning this guy, never heard of him before.  Looks like the only knock is size, I think Nick Bolton had that draft issue also.  Could be a solid Rd. 3-4 guy.  

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

This post got me looking into Saldiveri a couple days ago.  Idk if it’s just the poor level of competition he played against, but he really impressed me. I see the upside.

let me know if you watch any of my crush, LB- Drake Thomas-   

Has anyone watched him? 

Day one of the Senior Bowl practices.

He actually has s good first rep against Young  from Bama.  It goes downhill from there. I'd encourage you to  watch day 2 also.

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

how was Zavala not invited to the combine!!   

I agree, likely 3rd round pick there.  

Thanks for mentioning this guy, never heard of him before.  Looks like the only knock is size, I think Nick Bolton had that draft issue also.  Could be a solid Rd. 3-4 guy.  

Np-

Most are saying he’s 5-7th rd.  I’ve only watched highlights, so the lowlights might be plentiful- idk.  

Word is that he was like a blanket in coverage at the shrine game practices 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CookieG said:

Day one of the Senior Bowl practices.

He actually has s good first rep against Young  from Bama.  It goes downhill from there. I'd encourage you to  watch day 2 also.

I’m not trying to be a jerk but the vast majority of these reps aren’t 1 on 1s. When the Lineman were spread out it was a technique drill. The OL guys are trying to reach block the DL man and get to their outside shoulder. The DL look like they can either wrong arm the Oline or bull the OL to deter that from happening. 

The tight formations were the true 1 on 1s and he did fine he had like 4 reps and looked good on 2 of them 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2023 at 5:26 PM, GunnerBill said:

I am on record as not thinking this is the strongest draft I've ever seen (understatement). But there are still a few guys that as I have worked through the tape have taken my eye as potential sleepers. This thread in previous years has been where I've highlighted the likes of Robby Anderson, DJ Reed, Juwan Johnson, our own Tyrel Dodson and Jaylen Watson, the Chiefs 7th round rookie corner who started in the Superbowl. 

So here is my list for this year's draft (grades are where I have them not where I necessarily think they will be drafted):

Jose Ramirez, EDGE, Eastern Michigan

4th round grade

Ramirez flashed for me in the East-West Shrine game back in January. He is just a natural pass rusher. Love his explosion, love his rip move and when he gets those long arms on blockers they find it difficult to get back into the down. He is an older prospect, will turn 24 right after the draft, but that means he comes in as a man ready to go. He is probably a situational pass rusher at the next level in sub packages rather than an every down starter but I expect a team to take a swing maybe around the round 4 comp pick range.

Darius Rush, Cornerback, South Carolina

2nd round grade

It is rare I include someone on a sleeper list that I am this high on but even after impressive display at the Senior Bowl the hype train has been slow to kick into gear for Rush. He ran a 4.36 at the Combine, he has size, super long arms and he is aggressive at the catch point. Okay he doesn’t have the quick twitchy feet you might ideally want and maybe he is more of a zone guy than someone who can mirror receivers in man coverage, but I think this is a plug and play outside corner at the next level.

Bryce Ford-Wheaton, Wide Receiver, West Virginia

5th round grade

The reasons to like Ford-Wheaton are obvious. He is 6’4, ran a 4.38 at the Combine, has long arms and really good hands in contested catch situations. The reasons to dislike him are the route running which is imprecise, the route tree which is non-existent, and the fact that he doesn’t seem to play to his speed or separate that well. But he must be worth a punt for someone because if you can coach him up he can be a monster.

Jalen Graham, Linebacker, Purdue

5th round grade

One of my favourite players in the draft and the consensus on him seems to be he could even go undrafted. But man does this guy play with energy and passion. He is like a cannonball firing at the snap and when he hits you know you have been hit. He also displays good coverage skills as a former safety, especially in zone. You might need to commit some time to his development but this kid can play.

Trey Dean III, Safety, Florida

4th round grade

Another that I know I am higher than the consensus on, but I love him. He is probably too easy to manipulate in coverage to be an every down starter early, but he can be used as a matchup weapon in the passing game. I think as a sub package dime he could cover some of the league’s more athletic tight ends and even match up with bigger slot receivers.

Jordan Mims, Running Back, Fresno State

6th/7th round grade

Jordan Mims isn’t going to wow anyone with speed, he isn’t a power back either, but he is the kind of guy who can carve out a niche for himself in the NFL as a receiving back on 3rd down. He has good vision both when rushing and running after the catch and he has some return value. Kid has a chance to stick on a roster somewhere and make an impact.

Chandler Zavala, Guard, North Carolina State

3rd round grade

I only watched Zavala this week after a friend messaged me on the back of his pro-day. Zavala wasn’t even invited to the Combine but did play at the Shrine game. He wasn’t one that particularly took my eye that day either but watching his film I like this guy. I think he is a better pass blocker than run blocker, but he has nice nimble feet, he can move when he gets out in front and he uses his hands well. The only negative is his age - he is already 24 - but I think he can start in the NFL as a rookie.

As ever the invitation is for people to flame away / disagree or add their own! Last year Pacheco, Woolen and Malcom Rodriguez were all mentioned by posters in the sleeper thread. 

I like a lot of guy on your list except for the running bk there’s much better sleepers at that position. I like some of these scat bks like Keaton Mitchell or Duece Vaughn

Just now, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I like a lot of guy on your list except for the running bk there’s much better sleepers at that position. I like some of these scat bks like Keaton Mitchell or Duece Vaughn

I like Vaughn too. Can only throw so many out. Not watched a single minute of Mitchell. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.