Pressure is on McBeane - PFT discussion

balln

Just now, Gregg said:

He isn't owning up to his biggest mistake and that is keeping Frazier on as DC.

I don't share the opinion that Frazier is a problem. His defenses historically rank at the top of the league, and that has not changed during his time with the Bills. Even with all the injuries this season, the defense performed extremely well.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, CheshireCT said:

I don't share the opinion that Frazier is a problem. His defenses historically rank at the top of the league, and that has not changed during his time with the Bills. Even with all the injuries this season, the defense performed extremely well.

His defense does very well against bad/mediocre teams which leads to high rankings, but they get exposed against good teams with good QB's. Burrow and Mahomes could probably light the Bills D up for 35 points or more while playing in their sleep. Bills D = paper tiger.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Gregg said:

Beane has to do 3 things well this offseason for the Bills to have a good chance to win the Super Bowl.

1. Improve the OL. Everyone knows it's been said a billion times on this message board.

2. Get an #2 WR

3. Plug in the holes on D as we are probably losing Edmunds and Poyer.

If the Bills restructure a lot of contracts, they can keep Edmunds. If they do, Beane must have a killer draft.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ga boy said:

I think these areas will get better.  Other AFCE teams will be better.  It would take a 7 or 8 win season to axe the coach.  Won’t happen.  Even with 13 seconds and Cincy, McD is in the same security category as Tomlin.  He’s secure unless a complete collapse which can’t happen as long as JA17 is healthy.

Tomlin has 2 rings to keep secure. Who knows if clappy will ever snif one.

3 hours ago, balln said:

I was saying early this year, pressure is ratcheting up on McD. Needed to make super bowl this year - team looked stacked early in the year. Now national media ( i think of all the talking heads - sims and florio are the most reasonable and legit ) starting to recognize McD and Beane arent getting the job done. Sims is a little more on the side of needing more impact players which I agree. I still think think the right move was keeping Daboll and leaving frazier and McD in kc parking lot after 13 seconds (and hous and kc playoff game poor D performances)

Pressure from who,the Pegulas? Do you think Terry is knowledgable enough,and tough enough, to sit McBeane down and give them specific directions and strict ultimatum?

For example; would he insist ( depending on how free agency goes)that Beane draft 3 or 4  offense players before picking defense?

7 minutes ago, Herb Nightly said:

If the Bills restructure a lot of contracts, they can keep Edmunds. If they do, Beane must have a killer draft.

Then there is this. I don't know if Beane can make it work cap wise though...

Adam Schefter on Twitter: "Rams and nine-time All-Pro LB Bobby Wagner mutually agreed Thursday to part ways, sources tells ESPN. Rams needs more cap space and Wagner wants to win. He will now be a notable part of this year’s free-agent class. https://t.co/1A3KvudOhj" / Twitter

We saw it with Andy Reid. One championship completely flips the narrative.

McD is already flying up the leaderboard with respect to coaching statistics. He wins one championship and we likely have a future HOF coach leading the Bills.

The willingness to toss him overboard very much feels like drought-era logic to me. A seemingly never-ending, grass is always greener churn resulting in prolonged mediocrity. These Bills are NOT mediocre. They are a very, very good football team.

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, schoolhouserock said:

Can you please name said coaches?

i did.

i'll go one step further for the people who think playoff wins over wind tunnel conditions vs baltimore, squeaking past indy and miami w a 3rd string qb, and a solid beat down over new england (who we have beaten all but one time since brady left) make a great coaching staff while we are blessed w the goat JA17 at qb: aside from averaging a win in the playoffs per year, we are no better than the marvin lewis coached bengals to date.

it's true that team never won in the playoffs, but they lost to strong teams, including a super bowl winner, which is more than we can say in terms of who ended our season.

look, i don't want to hate our FO, and i don't want to be a lil debbie downer, but get out coached and out schemed in the playoffs every single year, and we dump boat loads of cap and resources into positions that either don't make an impact at all when it counts, or are literally riding the bench as part of a rotation, while have zilch at other important positions.  all these little sins are adding up to big ones, and they must be addressed quickly.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

McDermott has gotten his way since 2017.

That's because he's the boss.  He's going to continue to get his way.

Beane works for him.  That has always been my belief and I think it's how they do things.

As weird as that sounds, it's not totally unknown in NFL circles.  Would never happen in the NHL for example.

3 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

The pressure's been on to make the SB the last two years. Nothing's changed. I don't think "media pressure" should be a thing. Not something that affects a franchise, anyway. I'm more interested in what the owners think and what kind of pressure they're putting on the FO, which we may never know.

Honestly terry has bigger things going on to attend to than a coach who won 13 games with everything that went on last season. I don’t really think terry is putting any pressure on the fo at all right now. That could change after next year though

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

That's because he's the boss.  He's going to continue to get his way.

Beane works for him.  That has always been my belief and I think it's how they do things.

As weird as that sounds, it's not totally unknown in NFL circles.  Would never happen in the NHL for example.

An interview was done with Terry Pegula when they first got hired. Terry said both men report to him and neither one was the boss of the other.

1 hour ago, CheshireCT said:

Not in the playoffs!  Including against a team using a 3rd string QB.

Who cares what his regular season stats look like?  You don't win a SB by winning the regular season.

Gotta perform at your best in the playoffs against the best teams and best coaches.  

That's the standard that counts.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CheshireCT said:

What do his playoff defenses historically rank? That's the real question. 

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

What do his playoff defenses historically rank? That's the real question. 

I would have made a change after 13 seconds. To blow a 3-point lead with just 13 seconds left and KC starting at their 25 is just unbelievable.

• Like (+1) 1

some perspective: going back 15+ years, the biggest super bowl favorite preseason has been 5-1 odds.

the 2018 Patriots, 2015 Seahawks, 2014 Seahawks, 2014 Broncos were all 5-1 to win the Super Bowl. 

that's a 20% chance. 

the chiefs are preseason favorites in 2023. they're 6-1 (16% chance). 

in the end, good fortune, health and luck plays a monster role!

• Like (+1) 1

Florio said, and Simms said he didn't disagree, that if the Bills don't make a deep playoff run this season that there's a good chance Pegula cleans house with management and coaching.

We have a generational QB but we've only been the conference championship once. 

People actually disagree with this take? Really? I'm genuinely interested in hearing why many people don't agree with that. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.