Why is Eric Bieniemy available as an OC?

Virgil

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I think it says a lot that the Chiefs did not try to match the contract offer or the title he got from the Commanders.

It says that EB and Mahomes hated each other. That is why the Chiefs were letting him go. That relationship has totally broken down. Reid and EB are still tight but he knows it is Pat's show. What Pat wants, Pat gets. Pat wanted a new OC, Andy has known for weeks EB is out hence he did that pump up job right after the Superbowl about how great a job he did. That was a pal, firing a pal he's rather not fire, doing his guy a solid. 

This topic was brought up about a week ago on the Schopp and Bulldog show with their weekly guest Ross Tucker.

Ross said he has heard through his league connections and unnamed sources that Bieniemy "does not interview well" but he said he's surprised he hasn't been promoted to HC as well.

Schopp brought it up.

On 2/13/2023 at 3:16 PM, MJS said:

There has been lots of smoke for years about there being turmoil in KC and Bieniemy is not well liked by the players and other coaches.

He has also been interviewed many times for a HC position, and the rumors are that he interviews terribly.

Where there is smoke, there is fire. There is something about him that is blocking him from getting more opportunities. I don't think he will ever be a head coach.

Every year I read somewhere that he's a POS and nobody likes him

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

This topic was brought up about a week ago on the Schopp and Bulldog show with their weekly guest Ross Tucker.

Ross said he has heard through his league connections and unnamed sources that Bieniemy "does not interview well" but he said he's surprised he hasn't been promoted to HC as well.

Schopp brought it up.

That was certainly the case the first time he hit the interview circuit. Whether he has got any better I'm not sure. 

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It says that EB and Mahomes hated each other. That is why the Chiefs were letting him go. That relationship has totally broken down. Reid and EB are still tight but he knows it is Pat's show. What Pat wants, Pat gets. Pat wanted a new OC, Andy has known for weeks EB is out hence he did that pump up job right after the Superbowl about how great a job he did. That was a pal, firing a pal he's rather not fire, doing his guy a solid. 

Technically didn't fire him, they just didn't renew his contract.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It’s funny you mentioned those comments right after the Super Bowl ended. I watched virtually none of the postgame coverage but I did see Reid say that, and thought to myself….geez that’s an odd thing to say at that moment. 

• Like (+1) 1

I was driving today and heard EB’S presser after being hired by the commanders.  I can see why he would be perceived as a bad interviewer. His press conference was over enthusiastic in a non professional way. In addition it was one cliche after another strung together for the entire time. There was not one sign of original thought, just a run on from one cliche to the next as I listened on Sirius nfl network channel.  His “ enthusiasm” , imo, came across as non genuine and he sounded over the top like you might expect to hear from some young, newly hired high school coach, not someone at the highest professional level in the worlds most successful sports league who had just finished 10 years under a HOF HC , winning 2 SB’S along the way. 

If you get a chance to hear his presser , ask yourself if you have EVER heard McD sound so overly , almost insincere like , in his enthusiasm. Mcd is enthusiastic , but very calculated and professional, and if all someone’s vision for his offense is a playbook of coaching cliches, there is no way I hire them as their prior success is most likely a product of their association with a very creative supervising  coach.   I am not impressed by just the rah , rah approach in coaching adult professional athletes.  It would wear thin very quickly.    Couple that with a criminal, violent history regarding women in the past and i am not shocked , even with an emphasis to hire minority coaches , that EB made this type of lateral move to have any shot at a HC position should Rivera’s health fail. Just one full press interview and the quality difference between how mcd comes across and how EB came across is pretty eye opening, and  told me all i needed to know regarding his past failures to land a HC position. 

EB seems to be in a no win situation perceptually. If he has success , it’s because he is using Reid’s system and is again under a very experienced head coach. If the offense struggles, it’s because he is now own his own , away from Reid  and Mahomes, and he probably wont be seen as someone who can take a struggling offense and creatively turn it around. ( Dorsey found out similar things with daboll  gone , but he at least has support from a premiere QB and mcd, and hasn’t been turned down for several years attempting to land a HC job.)   I just don’t see this going well for EB ; grasping at a lateral move in a very dysfunctional organization for your most likely final path to becoming a HC, seems like a desperate last ditch attempt to by whatever means become a HC. It feels like a vulture sitting in a  tree looking down knowing rivera’s health  is EB’S main determinant regarding his head coaching future rather than getting the position based solely on merit. Opportunistic , or distasteful? Just an opinion, but i hate cliches as ones main communication go to. 

On 2/13/2023 at 2:58 PM, Virgil said:

I remember hearing Eric's name in HC positions, but now I'm seeing that his contract is up and he's applying for other OC jobs.  My first point of thought would be, Reid calls all the plays and runs the show, so maybe he just wants to make a name for himself elsewhere.  However, is it not off that the Chiefs wouldn't try to keep him on the staff? 

For me, it's hard to not want someone who's been around Reid and the offensive game planning on our staff.  Whoever actually called the plays in the SB was the real MVP to me.  Outside of the first Kelce touchdown, Mahomes was throwing to wide open people.  

But yeah, anyone know why this guy is available?

i think its very telling that he cant get a hc sniff, chiefs win 2nd sb under him and theyre ready to let him walk this easy. where theres fire theres fire

8 hours ago, DrPJax said:

I was driving today and heard EB’S presser after being hired by the commanders.  I can see why he would be perceived as a bad interviewer. His press conference was over enthusiastic in a non professional way. In addition it was one cliche after another strung together for the entire time. There was not one sign of original thought, just a run on from one cliche to the next as I listened on Sirius nfl network channel.  His “ enthusiasm” , imo, came across as non genuine and he sounded over the top like you might expect to hear from some young, newly hired high school coach, not someone at the highest professional level in the worlds most successful sports league who had just finished 10 years under a HOF HC , winning 2 SB’S along the way. 

If you get a chance to hear his presser , ask yourself if you have EVER heard McD sound so overly , almost insincere like , in his enthusiasm. Mcd is enthusiastic , but very calculated and professional, and if all someone’s vision for his offense is a playbook of coaching cliches, there is no way I hire them as their prior success is most likely a product of their association with a very creative supervising  coach.   I am not impressed by just the rah , rah approach in coaching adult professional athletes.  It would wear thin very quickly.    Couple that with a criminal, violent history regarding women in the past and i am not shocked , even with an emphasis to hire minority coaches , that EB made this type of lateral move to have any shot at a HC position should Rivera’s health fail. Just one full press interview and the quality difference between how mcd comes across and how EB came across is pretty eye opening, and  told me all i needed to know regarding his past failures to land a HC position. 

EB seems to be in a no win situation perceptually. If he has success , it’s because he is using Reid’s system and is again under a very experienced head coach. If the offense struggles, it’s because he is now own his own , away from Reid  and Mahomes, and he probably wont be seen as someone who can take a struggling offense and creatively turn it around. ( Dorsey found out similar things with daboll  gone , but he at least has support from a premiere QB and mcd, and hasn’t been turned down for several years attempting to land a HC job.)   I just don’t see this going well for EB ; grasping at a lateral move in a very dysfunctional organization for your most likely final path to becoming a HC, seems like a desperate last ditch attempt to by whatever means become a HC. It feels like a vulture sitting in a  tree looking down knowing rivera’s health  is EB’S main determinant regarding his head coaching future rather than getting the position based solely on merit. Opportunistic , or distasteful? Just an opinion, but i hate cliches as ones main communication go to. 

The main reason Eric Bieniemy can't get an HC job is the same reason Leslie Frazier gets zero consideration.

He's not the reason for the unit's success, and everyone around the league knows it.  The Chiefs offense ultimately belongs to Andy Reid, just like the Bills defense ultimately belongs to Sean McDermott.

Granted, that is not the ONLY reason... but it's a giant checkmark against him.

Frazier also has a failed stint with the Vikings, and the final impression he leaves at season's end is always of the defense choking.  For Bieniemy, he also has multiple off-field arrests.  Nothing hugely alarming or serious, but it's still a concern when you are talking about being the leader of a professional football organization.  In addition, it's been widely reported that his past interviews for HC jobs have gone poorly.  I don't recall seeing specifics, but it's something we've heard from reporters many times.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.