Sean is not a bad coach, just a bad fit for this team and era

Billsflyer12

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

So it’s not so much the team is bad they just didn’t meet the high expectations of the fans. That’s basically it right

No that's not a correct assessment of what I said John. 

I'd be foolish to say the Bills are a bad team. Of course they are a very good team. Allen alone with a couple of key pieces make them very good.

My issue is they haven't been good enough. In a six year time frame the team has had moderate playoff success. That shouldn't be acceptable. The organization has failed to surround Allen with enough weapons and protection. The highly rated defense looks anything but that when the playoffs come around. Lots of this falls on the coaches and the organization.

I think it's reasonable to think that fans have and had high expectations for the Bills. Over the last few years, thinking Super Bowl has been more than realistic. Listen to Allen and Diggs and they've overtly shared this sentiment. 

After huge playoff losses to KC and Cinci you could see the disappointment on the players faces. In fact, many talked about how disappointed they were. 

Most Bills fans were equally disappointed. I think most fans had higher expectations for this team. I think it's safe to say the team didn't meet its goal nor it's expectations.

As a Bills fan are you satisfied with the last three years of playoff results? I'm not!

Hope that clarifies my thinking and opinion. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mango said:

I like McDermott. I think he’s a pretty good coach. But sometimes good coaches lose rosters and I think McD is really toeing the line. If he stays long term he’ll have to pull the team back. 

On another note, I just want him to be honest instead of disappearing into oblivion this offseason. Just come out and say we sucked against Cinci, it was embarrassing as a staff, and we’re going to make adjustments and win the damn thing in 2023-24. Im tired of hearing stuff like “we didn’t get the outcome we had hoped for”.  

If i were a Bills player he’d lose me. I’d be tired of hearing his coach speak. I sure hope he’s a lot more competitive behind the scenes.

6 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I'd be foolish to say the Bills are a bad team. Of course they are a very good team. Allen alone with a couple of key pieces make the team a very good team.

My issue is they haven't been good enough. In a six year time frame the team has had moderate playoff success. That shouldn't be acceptable. The organization has failed to surround Allen with enough weapons and protection. The highly rated defense looks anything but that when the playoffs come around. Lots of this falls on the coaches and the organization.

I think it's reasonable to think that fans have and had high expectations for the Bills. Over the last few years, thinking Super Bowl has been more than realistic. Listen to Allen and Diggs and they've overtly shared this sentiment. 

After huge playoff losses to KC and Cinci you could see the disappointment on the players faces. In fact, many talked about how disappointed they were. 

Most Bills fans were equally disappointed. I think most fans had higher expectations for this team. I thinking it's safe to say the team didn't meet its goal nor it's expectations.

As a Bills fan are you satisfied with the last three years of playoff results? I'm not!

I'm not really partial to the argument that the players' inability to execute, caused by a lack of talent, by itself accounts for the difficulties experienced by the team in 2022. I don't think the narrative begins with the playoffs, though problems are more likely to surface then.

It's the coaches job to get the team ready to play and they seemed unprepared for a good part of the year. Injuries to key personnel was certainly a factor affecting team performance but not the only problem. Injuries can derail your season and are unavoidable but if no progress is made in 2023 I think the staff may lose the locker room. That would likely bring things to a head in a hurry and force Peg's hand. Just a personal view of course and one with which many disagree but right now I have little confidence in this staff making things better. Changing a team's philosophical approach can be like doing a 180 with an aircraft carrier. This typically occurs only after a new staff is put into place. 

The current crew has a reprieve for 2023. Unless they are able to make good with this opportunity and if a year from now, or sooner, we are having the same kinds of discussions, then I think it will be high time for them to leave and for the team to have a fresh start.

It wasn't JUST coaching as it was a complete team letdown, Buffalo players on both sides of the ball outplayed. Little or no pass rush, couldn't keep the Bengals D off Allen. 

What are you talking about? Burrow was throwing the ball in 2.5 seconds because no one was guarding his wide receivers 

15 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Depends on how you see things. 

The Bills have primarily disappointed it's fan base with early playoff exits. Sure they have won playoff games. The bar is clearly different now. Expectations are higher and should be high.

I'd argue that the Bills organization has failed to reach it potential. Especially, the last two years of the playoffs. Winning one playoff game really wasn't the goal. The team really missed a golden opportunity to advance and possible win the Super Bowl. They haven't done enough! Your illustration falls far too short in my eyes.

They have a franchise QB who is without a doubt one of the best QBs in the league. They have failed to properly build solid pieces around him. Relying too much on him. It's really been a common theme for a few years. Thus, you get the Allen Superman conversations. This year's playoffs more than ever showed the vulnerability of the Bills roster. 

The old wait til next year theme rears its ugly head again. Trust the GM and coach to make that Super Bowl. Did you watch the Cinci game? Did you see the 13 second disaster? Trust your eyes not your heart. 

Do you watch football and follow other teams? I'd argue with confidence that KC and Cinci are much better teams than Buffalo. I'd argue that teams like the Jets, Miami, Chargers, and Jags have closed the gap on the Bills. The Bills are likely no longer a dominate team. They are not feared or looked at as unbeatable. Yes they are good and still a top 10 team. Do they look like a Super Bowl team? 

Doesn't mean the Bills can't and won't make a Super Bowl run. Anything can happen. However, my confidence is dwindling not increasing since its 6 years of Allen and counting. The excuses never end. Trust and wait. I'm tired of waiting and trusting. Every year for decades that hasn't worked out.

Fast forward to Beane's press confetence. That was hardly a boost in confidence. Almost seemed like he was giving excuses and telling the fans his hands are severely tied. Not good!

The Bills have a myriad of issues to contend with. Cap issues, coaching deficiencies, and holes to fill on the roster. Not sure how this emboldens a fan to have confidence? 

I read it all and agree 100%

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, HomeTeam said:

I'm confident that McDermott and Beane were watching the championship and Superbowl games and will make the necessary adjustments. 

I know it hurts to see the Chiefs win again but we have to stay the course. That's my thoughts on the matter. 

You have to be kidding me!!!  Your post is sarcasm right?

They have watched 5 of last 7 Super Bowl winners score 31 or more points, and then decided to double down on freaking defense with an elite QB on the roster!

Edited by Billsflyer12
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, HomeTeam said:

I'm confident that McDermott and Beane were watching the championship and Superbowl games and will make the necessary adjustments. 

I know it hurts to see the Chiefs win again but we have to stay the course. That's my thoughts on the matter. 

Yeah McDermott doesn’t get that benefit of the doubt anymore, and neither does Beane.

They haven’t had a good draft in 3 years. 

8 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I'd be foolish to say the Bills are a bad team. Of course they are a very good team. Allen alone with a couple of key pieces make them very good.

Most Bills fans were equally disappointed. I think most fans had higher expectations for this team. I think it's safe to say the team didn't meet its goal nor it's expectations.

this is just spot on.

Sean McDermott is Doug Collins before Phil Jackson.

We have MJ (Josh Allen). 

We have to get our Jerry Kraus (GM) to make a bold move. That move is to fire McClappy asap for an offensive minded head coach. Strike lightning in a bottle with Ben Johnson or another bright offensive mind who does whatever it takes to build around 17! That’s what matters. BUILD AROUND JOSH FREAKIN ALLEN OR WE ARENT GOING ANYWHERE FURTHER THAN ROUND 2.

Edited by McBean
  • Like (+1) 2

No Sean McDermott is a bad coach you can see it tonight both those teams are way better than the Buffalo Bills. Patrick Mahomes played on one leg tonight that is leadership. After this Super Bowl I question giving Josh Allen all that money and his leadership. I am tiring of Josh Allen sorry excuse to running to the golf course the bum should have represented the Buffalo Bills at the Pro Bowl that is his job he can play golf on his own time. Josh Allen is no Patrick Mahomes nor is he Jalen Hurts. I question how much better Josh Allen is going to get. If Josh Allen doesn’t get to the Super Bowl next season if some dumb NFL team wants to give the Buffalo Bills 5 first rounders I would consider it for Josh Allen. I think the Buffalo Bills needed to put there money into a offensive line not Josh Allen. The Philadelphia Eagles offensive line is really good. I can put a quarterback behind a great offensive line and get by the Philadelphia Eagles showed us that tonight in the Super Bowl. As much as I am a huge Josh Allen fan the Buffalo Bills overpaid Josh Allen unfortunately that contract is going to prevent the Buffalo Bills from ever being Super Bowl champions potentially because of that outlandish contract to Josh Allen in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Dislike 1

3 hours ago, McBean said:

this is just spot on.

Sean McDermott is Doug Collins before Phil Jackson.

We have MJ (Josh Allen). 

We have to get our Jerry Kraus (GM) to make a bold move. That move is to fire McClappy asap for an offensive minded head coach. Strike lightning in a bottle with Ben Johnson or another bright offensive mind who does whatever it takes to build around 17! That’s what matters. BUILD AROUND JOSH FREAKIN ALLEN OR WE ARENT GOING ANYWHERE FURTHER THAN ROUND 2.

Great basketball analogy. As a fan of both sports I can appreciate the references. 

Nice solid post. 👍

• Thank you (+1) 1

Regardless of whether McDermott is the right man to lead this team, my fear is that if we do hit on a good offensive coordinator (whether it's Dorsey or anyone else) any success there will lead to that guy leaving for a head coach position. So success is the goal but it will lead to constant long-term offensive turnover.

yes, the same can happen with a D coordinator but that doesn't worry me nearly so much given how today's game is more offensively vital.

Let’s look at the last 4 Super Bowls, the Mahomes era.

1).  Both the winners and losers of last 4 Super Bowls were coached by offensive coaches.

2).  The defensive ranking of the winner of last 4 Super Bowls have gotten lower and lower each season.  None in top 5.  The last 2 Super Bowl winners rank 15th and 16th in Total Defense.

3).  The last 5 Super Bowl winners have a top 10 Total Offense, 4 of those 5 were top 5 in Total Offense.

Your point of a team winner Super Bowl with a terrible defense may be true.  A mid table defense is enough if you have an elite offense.  The offense in this Mahomes Era is so much more important and this team has neglected it.  An offensive minded Head Coach has literally made 100% of Super Bowls in this Mahomes era.  Could it happen to this version of Bills, maybe?  You wouldn’t bet a whole lot on the small chance it could with the Bills as currently constructed.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.