There was nothing fancy they just got beat

78thealltimegreat

Figured after settling down a bit I’d rewatch the game. The bengals are a solid team but only ran one or two wrinkles and Burrow made some nice throws just a better Tua in this game.

The difference they were just physically manhandling the dline. They just lined up and knocked the daylights out of the front seven. 

For those that remember this game was reminiscent of the Titans game a few years back during Covid years. Where they just lined up and clocked the defense. 

In other words the base nickel defense just ain’t working anymore. 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

43 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Figured after settling down a bit I’d rewatch the game. The bengals are a solid team but only ran one or two wrinkles and Burrow made some nice throws just a better Tua in this game.

The difference they were just physically manhandling the dline. They just lined up and knocked the daylights out of the front seven. 

For those that remember this game was reminiscent of the Titans game a few years back during Covid years. Where they just lined up and clocked the defense. 

No, while I agree the lines were manhandled & Burrow wasn't asked or did anything spectacular, the issue was the Bills were ill prepared yesterday and that I blame on coaching.

Even after being manhandled the first quarter, the Bills got it to 14-7 and had the ball before half at 17-7 and could have made it a game.  A score then and then to start the third and it may play out differently.

What happens?  Bad play calling after getting inside Cincy territory and then first & goal and 3 more lousy play.

Then of course they allow a 7 minute drive & Cincy TD.

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

58 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

No, while I agree the lines were manhandled & Burrow wasn't asked or did anything spectacular, the issue was the Bills were ill prepared yesterday and that I blame on coaching.

Even after being manhandled the first quarter, the Bills got it to 14-7 and had the ball before half at 17-7 and could have made it a game.  A score then and then to start the third and it may play out differently.

What happens?  Bad play calling after getting inside Cincy territory and then first & goal and 3 more lousy play.

Then of course they allow a 7 minute drive & Cincy TD.

Which is what I’m referring to the three times it was a one score game 7-0 …14-7, 17-10….when they needed a stop the Bengals just lined up and rammed it down the middle of the D nothing fancy Mixon was averaging 6 yards a carry 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Football games are won up front.  Always has been, always will be.  We need to upgrade the lines.

No more journeyman offensive lineman. Q stood tall a few times. Saffold played well at first, then folded down the stretch.  Need to draft a few early round guys who can provide youth to the line.

Need better defense line coaching or a change in scheme.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Football games are won up front.  Always has been, always will be.  We need to upgrade the lines.

Which is amazing considering the resources spent on the d-line. Makes me wonder if scheme is really the issue considering most teams seem to be able to generate pressure on Allen. I.e. what we do on offense is so obvious defensive lineman can go full pass rush giving them an advantage.

Edited by Shortchaz

11 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Which is what I’m referring to the three times it was a one score game 7-0 …14-7, 17-10….when they needed a stop the Bengals just lined up and rammed it down the middle of the D nothing fancy Mixon was averaging 6 yards a carry 

It was both sides.  The Bills though there were concerns were 14-3 (three one score losses) and then at home in the playoffs came out flat, had no answers and turtled.  

An embarrassing performance.

How does a backup OL dominate a healthy DL?

Thats more than just Jimmy’s and Joe’s. 

Why is Frazier playing off coverage and zone when the blueprint to slow down Burrow is press man and disrupt his quick rhythm throwing?

Theyre more talented than us.  

They aren’t 27-10 in a game that had zero life to it better. 

2 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

They won up front on both lines. I don't think it is anything to do with base nickel. It was up front we lost on both sides. Neither line even got remotely close to competitive. 

The entire defensive scheme was a mess yesterday and everyone could see it except for the Bills coaching staff. You don’t call an all out blitz, and have your secondary playing ten yards off the WRs. Just unbelievable! That might work against Skylar, but not against Burrow. Pathetic 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.