We are the 90's Packers

Mikie2times

The Bills are the 1990s Marty Schottenheimer Chiefs. Good regular seasons, division titles, high expectations for playoffs, a bit of success. And then just when you think the breakthrough is coming, think again. Disappointing loss. Soul crushing defeat. Wipe out. 

Edited by beebe

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I don't see the Packers comp.........they were dominant and their HC called his own plays.

The Bills comp right now is more like the 2006-2009 San Diego Chargers.

The Chargers dominated the AFC West........were often cited as having the best roster in the NFL and got lot's of love from Vegas just like these Bills........pundits usually said things like "Philip Rivers is going to win a SB in the next few years" which are very familiar to Bills fans with JA17............their defensive minded HC was all about process and loving each other..........and even if they were a favorite they usually made an early, unceremonious exit in the divisional round.

Don't shoot the messenger...........but the reality is that this team isn't memorable like the 90's Packers.........at this point they are just Chargers of that era and the Chiefs and Bengals are the Patriots and Colts of that era.  

Good post. Sort of the point of my post was to say we aren't the Colts or the Patriots. I think the Phillip Rivers era Chargers is a bit off as well. If we ran with your analogy we fit into what other have said. The Steelers. That is, if the Chiefs and Bengals occupy Brady/Manning, we would be Pittsburgh and Pittsburgh was always in it. They had a year they broke through. We will have that year, within that we will have no more steady incline on our trajectory. We will get to the SB because it's inevitable we do. Not because we are so dominant we hold the spot for multiple years.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

Good post. Sort of the point of my post was to say we aren't the Colts or the Patriots. I think the Phillip Rivers era Chargers is a bit off as well. If we ran with your analogy we fit into what other have said. The Steelers. That is, if the Chiefs and Bengals occupy Brady/Manning, we would be Pittsburgh and Pittsburgh was always in it. They had a year they broke through. We will have that year, within that we will have no more steady incline on our trajectory. We will get to the SB because it's inevitable we do. Not because we are so dominant we hold the spot for multiple years.  

The Steelers went to 3 super bowls and won 2 of them during that Brady/Manning/Roethlisberger era you are referencing. The Bills aren’t the Steelers either. 

3 hours ago, KzooMike said:

Josh didn’t lose this game and for years he has made plays no player in FB can make.

Favre was the same way and he ended up winning a title, but for how great he was, generating multiple MVP’s, widely considered one of the best of all time…..He just wasn’t consistent enough to be a late season closer. He made deep playoff runs each year, but each year he would typically be the team who lost in the Divisional or Championship round only winning one SB.

Josh is similar to Favre. He is adored for his guts and heart and recognized for his freakish ability to do things nobody else can. With this, he’s been the bridesmaid for several years now. At this point I don’t know how anybody could make Buffalo the favorites. They will challenge each year, but at the end of the day, better or worse, we ride Allen’s back on offense and that just doesn’t work against the better teams for multiple games in a row. It’s also not always on Josh where that breakdown occurs. Our version of the Tampa 2 doesn’t seem to hold past the Wild Card.

I wish I knew the fix. I don’t think one exists. Like Favre, I think we will win a Super Bowl one day. With that, we will never be consistent. We will constantly be in the deep playoffs but we won’t break into being in the SB with consistency.  What allows us to get to that position is also the thing that prevents us form consistently getting deeper. We will remain a lethal team but eventually our style will hinder our ability to get far or deep in the playoffs with consistency.   

What QB other than Brady "consistently" won Super Bowls year after year?

People thinking because you have an elite QB means you will win the SB every year are living in some alternate reality. It doesn't happen like that.

Favre didn't win one until year 6.

Manning didn't win one until year 7.

Elway didn't win one until year 15.

Marino never won one 

Kelly never won one 

Nothing is guaranteed no matter how good your QB is 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

The difference IMO is maybe that the Steelers had reached a SB with Bill Cowher and sustained their competitive ways for a very, very long time with just a blip year between Kordell and Roethlisberger.     Cowher went over a decade between SB appearances.   I agree that Cowher and Schottenheimer situations are VERY similar though..........the Steelers just stuck with him and kept pounding at the door and eventually caught some breaks and won a SB.    The Chargers cut bait and switched to Norv Turner and his lack of attention to detail(like Wade) helped eventually drag the team down.    I think we reflect poorly on Rivers but early in his careers River was really, really good.    Josh is more like Big Ben in style of course but Big Ben stepped into a top 5 NFL organization.   Josh has had to build this from the ground up with McD.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

This is an interesting and well thought out take, likely hated by most people here.

So here's a question for you, but I think I know the answer.  

Would you swap Josh Allen straight up for Joe Burrow this offseason, if you could?

I personally wouldn’t make the swap.  I’m certain Joe Burrow would get murdered behind our offensive line.  Joe has had some subpar o-lines but I think even at their worst it was better than what we offer

29 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I don't see the Packers comp.........they were dominant and their HC called his own plays.

The Bills comp right now is more like the 2006-2009 San Diego Chargers.

The Chargers dominated the AFC West........were often cited as having the best roster in the NFL and got lot's of love from Vegas just like these Bills........pundits usually said things like "Philip Rivers is going to win a SB in the next few years" which are very familiar to Bills fans with JA17............their defensive minded HC was all about process and loving each other..........and even if they were a favorite they usually made an early, unceremonious exit in the divisional round.

Don't shoot the messenger...........but the reality is that this team isn't memorable like the 90's Packers.........at this point they are just Chargers of that era and the Chiefs and Bengals are the Patriots and Colts of that era.  

Bingo 100%. It’s exactly the same. 

52 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The difference IMO is maybe that the Steelers had reached a SB with Bill Cowher and sustained their competitive ways for a very, very long time with just a blip year between Kordell and Roethlisberger.     Cowher went over a decade between SB appearances.   I agree that Cowher and Schottenheimer situations are VERY similar though..........the Steelers just stuck with him and kept pounding at the door and eventually caught some breaks and won a SB.    The Chargers cut bait and switched to Norv Turner and his lack of attention to detail(like Wade) helped eventually drag the team down.    I think we reflect poorly on Rivers but early in his careers River was really, really good.    Josh is more like Big Ben in style of course but Big Ben stepped into a top 5 NFL organization.   Josh has had to build this from the ground up with McD.

Also I think people don't realize that sometimes luck plays a huge role in winning a SB too.

The Rams won theirs because the 49ers defender dropped a game sealing INT thrown right to him.

Sometimes a bounce here or there or a dropped INT, etc can be the difference between winning and losing.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

So here's a question for you, but I think I know the answer.  

Would you swap Josh Allen straight up for Joe Burrow this offseason, if you could?

Reminds of a long-running thread on the old BBMB in the mid-oughts:

"Would you trade JP Losman for Tom Brady straight up?"

Amazingly, the results were like 50-50, lol

We are the 90's Bills except the conference is loaded so we never actually make the big dance. I still suspect the Bills could beat the Cheifs next week if they had a shot at them. The problem is just as the Chiefs start to decline a bit a new bully emerges in the Bengals. 

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.