Updated: categorization of Josh Allen fumbles

Beck Water

1 hour ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

No I don’t disagree but it’s amusing how most of the fans on this board overreact/fall apart if Allen makes any mistake/turnover. My point Kelly was much more worse with his turnovers and was 1,000 times more reckless with the ball than Allen’s ever been since playing here. I want to know if this board would react the same if this board existed back then or if we would’ve given Kelly a pass because most on here view Kelly as a god in Buffalo for some reason. 

I can tell you at the time, media coverage was highly critical and in their fan mailbags would be calls for Reich to start, after every loss with careless play

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

He continues to hold the ball out and away from his body like a cantaloupe.  But I have yet to see someone knock it loose in the last couple seasons. The biggest problem are the blindside strip sacks.  With a better OL these can be minimized. 

Shady McCoy was the same way.

58 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Man you really hate Allen don’t you?

He hates all things Bills.  He hates Allen.  He hates Beane.  He hates Frazier. He hates McD.  

22 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Run 2 (0).  The runs are short yardage; in one case Josh lost it on a shotgun snap, scooped it up and ran in for a TD, in the other it was a short run, fighting to avoid a sack.

Thanks for putting this together. Is this the one against the Lions? If so, I would actually recategorize that one as an aborted snap. Just watched the replay and Allen fumbles the ball as soon as it hits his hands and before he ever starts any sort of running motion or even tucking the ball in. 

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Thanks for putting this together. Is this the one against the Lions? If so, I would actually recategorize that one as an aborted snap. Just watched the replay and Allen fumbles the ball as soon as it hits his hands and before he ever starts any sort of running motion or even tucking the ball in. 

Y

Thanks!

He is always going to have more fumbles than other QB's simply because Allen always has a shot of breaking a tackle or a sack so he takes chances trying to do it.  If he were to just fold at contact like most ordinary QB's do it wouldn't be a problem.  Allen though isn't ordinary.  He 100% can correct that anytime he wants to. 

Edited by ChrisWatson#21
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Man you really hate Allen don’t you?

He’s just a troll, here to stir the *****.  Put him in your “ignore” file if it’s hard to just walk on by

38 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

47-18 as the starting QB since 2019 - 4 seasons.  

4 straight trips to the playoffs. 

3 straight years in the AFC Final Four.  

How do we categorize that?

It doesn’t fit in the overall category “fumble”

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ChrisWatson#21 said:

He is always going to have more fumbles than other QB's simply because Allen always has a shot of breaking a tackle or a sack so he takes chances trying to do it.  If he were to just fold at contact like most ordinary QB's do it wouldn't be a problem.  Allen though isn't ordinary.  He 100% can correct that anytime he wants to. 

In previous years, Allen has had quite a bit fewer fumbles - 8 and 9 the previous two years.  So it seemed worth looking at what’s going on.

“As far as 100% can correct that anytime he wants”, dunno - I think movement patterns get to be habits.  I think it’s possible that previously, Allen was getting movement coaching “two hands on the ball in the pocket” that left the building when Daboll and Tierney moved to NJ and Dorsey took on a new role; if so, that’s something the Bills will want to fill as a coaching gap.  

I don’t think it’s an accident that Allen had 8 of his 16 fumbles against Miami.  I think they were focused on keeping him in the pocket and blitzing very aggressively, and that was a byproduct.  Then add in some QB/C exchange fumbles that don’t normally happen due to Morse’s elbow injury and needing to work with our 3rd string center, and there you go.

I think the offensive scheme is mostly to blame. Too much Josh ball. It’s balls to the wall all the time, how many times did we see them go long when we needed 3rd and 1? This OL has regressed as well, I suspect it’s coaching as well, changed up their protections or something. We need a new OC who can call more than Josh Ball plays. He needs a running game and short passing game, get it out of his hands and all of the weight off of his shoulders.

They put too much on him. 

Edited by gflande1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.