What if the Bills refuse to play the Patriots?

HOUSE

11 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Because it was physically impossible to play the game. Come on. It’s not physically impossible to play the game this weekend, it’s a mentality thing. 

How about losing out on the Pats game not going to have an overall impact, as it will just be replaced by a play off game anyway - one which is not guaranteed at the start of the season?

Edited by UKBillFan
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

I’m sure Damar would want his brothers to play. 

Bulldog took issue with someone saying this as we shouldn’t assume what someone would want… but anyone who’s ever played team sports at a competitive level knows EXACTLY how they’d want their teammates to respond..

2 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Because it was physically impossible to play the game. Come on. It’s not physically impossible to play the game this weekend, it’s a mentality thing. 

If you really cared about the breadline people you wouldn’t say that.  

1 hour ago, ArtVandalay said:

So Josh Allen plays the day after his grandmother died.

Many other athletes, like Brett Favre played a day after his dad died. 

Redskins played 2 days after Sean Taylor died. 

The league pushed pause for 1 weekend then resumed after 9/11 attacks.

The Bruins played 2 days after the marathon bombing.

...but the Bills need 2 weeks off for a teammate that suffered a medical emergency and is alive recovering in the hospital??

This is going too far.

Feel terrible for Hamlin and wish him a full recovery but spending weeks wallowing in self-pity is not healthy nor appropriate. Awful things happen in the course of life, things we wish never came upon us but that is not for us to decide, all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.

It does feel like all the media attention and hours of footage impacted things. 

1 hour ago, ArtVandalay said:

So Josh Allen plays the day after his grandmother died.

Many other athletes, like Brett Favre played a day after his dad died. 

Redskins played 2 days after Sean Taylor died. 

The league pushed pause for 1 weekend then resumed after 9/11 attacks.

The Bruins played 2 days after the marathon bombing.

...but the Bills need 2 weeks off for a teammate that suffered a medical emergency and is alive recovering in the hospital??

This is going too far.

Feel terrible for Hamlin and wish him a full recovery but spending weeks wallowing in self-pity is not healthy nor appropriate. Awful things happen in the course of life, things we wish never came upon us but that is not for us to decide, all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.

None of those things were witnessed first hand. It's far worse to witness something tragic, than to be told something tragic happened. That's a fact.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

You'd be a terrific spokesman for mental health awareness.👍

Speaking of that .. if they don't play Sunday, .. and this is just my personal view .. I’d really start to get worried about their mental health as a collective and how they’re choosing to respond to this tragedy. 

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Speaking of that .. if they don't play Sunday, .. and this is just my personal view .. I’d really start to get worried about their mental health as a collective and how they’re choosing to respond to this tragedy. 

If everyone could choose how they respond to tragedy there would be no sadness, no tears, no mourning.

Glad you’re able to do that. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Bulldog took issue with someone saying this as we shouldn’t assume what someone would want… but anyone who’s ever played team sports at a competitive level knows EXACTLY how they’d want their teammates to respond..

So I can speak to this a little bit. I had a teammate almost die at practice. He had a heart attack rowing, his boat flipped when it happened, he was alone and under water. Another teammate jumped out and swam to him.

We had some selection to do for the World Cup season. We pushed it off. A few weeks. 

That didn’t bother Aaron. 

Of course he, and I am sure Damar, would be upset if they forfeited the season. But we’re talking a game that in the grand scheme of things isn’t all that meaningful since they stopped the KC game. 

If only a guy on the USNT knew what it was like to be on a competitive team. 

Edit: I have 6 national championships. I don’t have any issue giving the Bills the space and freedom that they need to make the best decision for themselves. 

Edited by Mango

3 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

How about losing out on the Pats game not going to have an overall impact, as it will just be replaced by a play off game anyway - one which would is not guaranteed at the start of the season?

How dare you speak so arrogantly from a level of security. Just because you don’t need the income, doesn’t mean thousands don’t. I’d love to see anyone here live a week in some of these peoples shoes. Maybe you can go a week without a paycheck, but not everyone has that privilege. This is the problem with the world, not everything revolves around elite people when you guys pee on everyone else. The world is more than just 1 person. 

1 minute ago, WotAGuy said:

If everyone could choose how they respond to tragedy there would be no sadness, no tears, no mourning.

Glad you’re able to do that. 

Of course there can be … but you can’t let it consume you. 

1 minute ago, IronMaidenBills said:

How dare you speak so arrogantly from a level of security. Just because you don’t need the income, doesn’t mean thousands don’t. I’d love to see anyone here live a week in some of these peoples shoes. Maybe you can go a week without a paycheck, but not everyone has that privilege. This is the problem with the world, not everything revolves around elite people when you guys pee on everyone else. The world is more than just 1 person. 

So if they don’t play, but Pegula pays them for the game, we cool here? 

Or was this really not about the people working at the stadium for you?

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

If only I was an elite person. 

You failed to answer the question.

ETA - In fairness, Mango’s response is far better than mine.

Edited by UKBillFan

Just now, Mango said:

So if they don’t play, but Pegula pays them for the game, we cool here? 

Or was this really not about the people working at the stadium for you?

Sure, if Peg pays for the direct workforce, that would help. What about the indirect workforce? Those that prepare food, those that depend on restaurant tips from the added traffic? 

• Haha (+1) 1

Sure, if Peg pays for the direct workforce, that would help. What about the indirect workforce? Those that prepare food, those that depend on restaurant tips from the added traffic? 

The Bills need to play because of the economic impact on Erie county. That’s the hill you’re gonna die on?

If it gets you to stop rambling about how when men were men, and athletes should be prepared for death, I fully support this conversation. 

• Haha (+1) 1

That is sadly a risk for companies which rely on a NFL team to such an extent. For example, what must have happened in Oakland when the Raiders moved to Vegas, or what happened in San Diego when the Chargers moved (back) to LA?

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Every single person responds differently to a traumatic event. Some will he fine, some will not. But to sit here and say this is the correct way and that way it's not, that's not for us to say. And this is just my personal view.....It's nobody's business what the players mental health is, except the team and the people they are close with, you need not worry.

12 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Then why are you watching the "elite" play a kids game? And spending time on a forum talking about the "elites"?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, UKBillFan said:

That is sadly a risk for companies which rely on a NFL team to such an extent. For example, what must have happened in Oakland when the Raiders moved to Vegas, or what happened in San Diego when the Chargers moved (back) to LA?

It’s not about the companies. It’s about American’s living paycheck to paycheck that have no other options but to work for these companies that rely on a NFL to such an extent. You guys don’t get it, it’s why our country is the way it is. People don’t care about the poor mans situation. Just keep watching more tents pop up, and then wonder why. The world can’t just shutdown. It didn’t shutdown for 9/11 and it isn’t going to shutdown now. Maybe if the economic security was different in this country, I’d be more inclined to say let’s all grieve for a week or 2, but that’s not the reality for most Americans, or most people living on this planet. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.