Texans LT Laremy Tunsil Wants to be Highest Paid Tackle

EmotionallyUnstable

21 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

A tackle on a bottom tier team without a quality QB sets the market?

If Tunsil convinces Houston to pay it, only have one question to ask?

Who is higher?

It makes zero sense for a lousy team with no QB to pay huge money for an OLman.

In this way, I never had a problem with the Bills letting Peters go, when they did.  At that time, paying him a fortune would not have really made the team better, while still eating up huge salary.

• Disagree 1

8 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

No.  we do not.  Orlando Brown SUCKS.  

Orlando Brown does not suck. He isn't as good as Tunsil. But he does not suck. 

9 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

It makes zero sense for a lousy team with no QB to pay huge money for an OLman.

In this way, I never had a problem with the Bills letting Peters go, when they did.  At that time, paying him a fortune would not have really made the team better, while still eating up huge salary.

To me it makes no sense for a team not paying a Quarterback to let a prime age asset at a premium position leave because they don't want to pay him.

• Agree 1

On 12/29/2022 at 8:51 AM, Eastport bills said:

Is the difference between Darrisaw and Tunsil worth 20 million a year with the Texans winning 2 games? That’s my point.

A few points of agreement and disagreement with this:

- I don’t think teams get a lot of value for elite OTs at market rates. I’d much rather get an above average one at the lesser MV. So I agree with that. But Houston has so little talent I think they’re stuck with him and have to pay him unless they want to trade him. 

- HOU winning 2 games this season doesn’t matter at all. You could use that rationale to dump any player from any bad team. The point should be to maximize future wins and Tunsil can do that - especially considering he’d be protecting a rookie QB who might need that security. That’s huge in my book.

- You have to factor in the opportunity cost for pick 11 (ish).  It could be used on an addition to the team at another important position like WR or Edge. Also there’s no guarantee that the LT they would select would be as successful as Darrisaw. Just look at the 2020 draft to see the good, bad and mediocre possibilities.

Other posters pointed out that Tunsil is rated the 12th best tackle. That’s from PFF so I’ll use their stats for this. That rating includes RTs, which still have a slightly easier job than LTs. They also have Tunsil rated the #1 pass blocker of any OT. That’s huge and worth a lot more than run blocking at LT. I think Houston has little choice than to pay him, and probably overpay him at that. But he could be huge in helping their new rookie QB become successful and they certainly have the cap space for him. Plus they need pick 11 for a WR (or maybe edge). 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 12/29/2022 at 1:04 PM, BearNorth said:

Grading out as the 12th best tackle, he's already the fourth highest paid tackle, cap hit is $35MM in 2023 as it stands now.

there are 4 tackles on their rookie deals [Darrisaw, Thomas, Wirfs & Sewell] who grade out higher than he does.

He is graded the best pass blocking tackle. I think his below average run blocking is all about desire to. It is a risk but my guess is on a competing team you'd see him run block better. But regardless, passing league, best pass blocking left tackle in football. Highest contract.

On 12/29/2022 at 1:07 PM, Beast said:

Dawkins is getting paid right about what he should be. He’s an average LT.

Not when you see some of the names above him. You might think Dion is paid appropriately... but he is on less than guys he is demonstrably better than.

On 12/29/2022 at 1:51 PM, Eastport bills said:

Is the difference between Darrisaw and Tunsil worth 20 million a year with the Texans winning 2 games? That’s my point.

Comparing Tunsil to a rookie contract is totally pointless. When that Sewell, Slater, Darrisaw class comes up you are going to see the left tackle market explode. Because they are all studs. 

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

A few points of agreement and disagreement with this:

- I don’t think teams get a lot of value for elite OTs at market rates. I’d much rather get an above average one at the lesser MV. So I agree with that. But Houston has so little talent I think they’re stuck with him and have to pay him unless they want to trade him. 

- HOU winning 2 games this season doesn’t matter at all. You could use that rationale to dump any player from any bad team. The point should be to maximize future wins and Tunsil can do that - especially considering he’d be protecting a rookie QB who might need that security. That’s huge in my book.

- You have to factor in the opportunity cost for pick 11 (ish).  It could be used on an addition to the team at another important position like WR or Edge. Also there’s no guarantee that the LT they would select would be as successful as Darrisaw. Just look at the 2020 draft to see the good, bad and mediocre possibilities.

Other posters pointed out that Tunsil is rated the 12th best tackle. That’s from PFF so I’ll use their stats for this. That rating includes RTs, which still have a slightly easier job than LTs. They also have Tunsil rated the #1 pass blocker of any OT. That’s huge and worth a lot more than run blocking at LT. I think Houston has little choice than to pay him, and probably overpay him at that. But he could be huge in helping their new rookie QB become successful and they certainly have the cap space for him. Plus they need pick 11 for a WR (or maybe edge). 

Well said and you make a good case for keeping him. The idea of flipping him is not original, Miami did it and lived to say it worked out. I feel that Tunsil would get 2 high draft choices ( one being a 1st rounder) and that could translate into a plug-in edge rusher and a vertical receiving threat. With the cap space fortifying the O-line with less expensive options seems like the way to go. Again, just my opinion. By the way, I don’t like a player on a 2 win team, saying he wants to be the highest paid player at his position..

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He is graded the best pass blocking tackle. I think his below average run blocking is all about desire to. It is a risk but my guess is on a competing team you'd see him run block better. But regardless, passing league, best pass blocking left tackle in football. Highest contract.

Not when you see some of the names above him. You might think Dion is paid appropriately... but he is on less than guys he is demonstrably better than.

Comparing Tunsil to a rookie contract is totally pointless. When that Sewell, Slater, Darrisaw class comes up you are going to see the left tackle market explode. Because they are all studs. 

Who cares that they’re studs if  their teams don’t score any points. Why do you think Miami flipped Tunsil? A team like Houston has multiple needs and Tunsil would bring high draft choices that would address these needs. Why can’t they use their enormous cap space for lower priced FA on the O-line. With a great young QB, Mahomes,Josh Joe Cool, Herbert, pro bowl LT are not essential. 

30 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Who cares that they’re studs if  their teams don’t score any points. Why do you think Miami flipped Tunsil? A team like Houston has multiple needs and Tunsil would bring high draft choices that would address these needs. Why can’t they use their enormous cap space for lower priced FA on the O-line. With a great young QB, Mahomes,Josh Joe Cool, Herbert, pro bowl LT are not essential. 

Miami flipped Tunsil for a rebuild. Maybe Houston should do the same, but personally I'd keep my best players. And I'd also argue lack of a pro bowl left tackle is by far the biggest reason Joe "Cool" is not a Superbowl champion already. 

If Houston is gonna draft their QB of the future in April (we must presume they will) then I'd rather have an elite pass blocking left tackle protecting his blindside than a load of middling jags on the oline. 

Edit: also worth saying Josh has a pro-bowl left tackle, the Chiefs thought left tackle was so important they traded away a 1st round pick for one and the year after taking Herbert in round 1 what did the Chargers go and grab? A left tackle.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Miami flipped Tunsil for a rebuild. Maybe Houston should do the same, but personally I'd keep my best players. And I'd also argue lack of a pro bowl left tackle is by far the biggest reason Joe "Cool" is not a Superbowl champion already. 

If Houston is gonna draft their QB of the future in April (we must presume they will) then I'd rather have an elite pass blocking left tackle protecting his blindside than a load of middling jags on the oline. 

Edit: also worth saying Josh has a pro-bowl left tackle, the Chiefs thought left tackle was so important they traded away a 1st round pick for one and the year after taking Herbert in round 1 what did the Chargers go and grab? A left tackle.

Dion is good not great, Orlando Brown has seen his best days,and the left tackle that the Chargers drafted hasn’t play all year and they’re still winning. Houston shouldn’t draft a QB this year because all the good ones are coming out next year. Trade the 1st pick, Tunsil, accumulates high draft choices and rebuild.

6 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Dion is good not great, Orlando Brown has seen his best days,and the left tackle that the Chargers drafted hasn’t play all year and they’re still winning. Houston shouldn’t draft a QB this year because all the good ones are coming out next year. Trade the 1st pick, Tunsil, accumulates high draft choices and rebuild.

Rebuild doesn't mean completely start over. One of those picks they get in exchange for Tunsil they would have to turn around and use on a lottery ticket LT... Why not just keep the one they already have? Great players >>> draft picks, doesn't matter what part of the life cycle for in. Doubly so for a LT when you likely have a highly drafted rookie QB coming into the picture.

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Rebuild doesn't mean completely start over. One of those picks they get in exchange for Tunsil they would have to turn around and use on a lottery ticket LT... Why not just keep the one they already have? Great players >>> draft picks, doesn't matter what part of the life cycle for in. Doubly so for a LT when you likely have a highly drafted rookie QB coming into the picture.

39 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Who says they have to use a high draft choice on a LT. They can get LT I aFA or later round draft choice. The idea is to set yourself up to get a big time QB.

35 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Who says they have to use a high draft choice on a LT. They can get LT I aFA or later round draft choice. The idea is to set yourself up to get a big time QB.

They're probably going to have the #1 pick... Why do they need to get rid of their most valuable offensive player to accumulate draft capital?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

They're probably going to have the #1 pick... Why do they need to get rid of their most valuable offensive player to accumulate draft capital?

They have many needs and If they don’t get their franchise QB this year, this being a bad year for QBs coming out, they might as well turn Tunsil into 2 or 3 draft choices. It’s all about rebuilding and putting yourself in a position to get either weapons or the big QB. Not that I care one way or the other, but why keep a valuable O-lineman over multiple picks  on a 2 win team.

• Disagree 1

21 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Orlando Brown does not suck. He isn't as good as Tunsil. But he does not suck. 

To me it makes no sense for a team not paying a Quarterback to let a prime age asset at a premium position leave because they don't want to pay him.

Orlando Brown is a below average LT.  He made the pro bowl because of his name and the team he plays on.

He ranks WAY WAY WAY down the list in pass blocking.  He's ok at run blocking, and I would add that he is a low motor player.  Once he either makes he block or misses it..he's done..no hustle to keep trying to block, to get downfield and block, etc.  

Now..let me be clear.  If The Chiefs could sign that guy for 10 mil per...FINE.  That's his market value.  He's a guy who has been able to stay on the field at least...and is capable.  he struggles with speed rushers, badly.  You CAN live with that ...but he wants to be paid like Tunsil.  Tunsil is worthe that money.  Brown is ABSOLUTELY not.  

We are a long way from the draft, and this isn't supposed to be an especially great OT year....there are a couple good prospects, but they'll go way up high.  If KC doesn't pull a trade for Tunsil...I'd not be surprised to see KC expend serious draft captial to try and move up for the Northwestern OT or the Ohio State guy.  If KC stays put, I'm kind of intrigued by Bergeron...the Syracuse OT....with that in mind..any of you folks up there have a first hand scouting report?  We don't exactly get a lot of Orange football on TV down here in DFW.

• Disagree 1

36 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

We are a long way from the draft, and this isn't supposed to be an especially great OT year....there are a couple good prospects, but they'll go way up high.  If KC doesn't pull a trade for Tunsil...I'd not be surprised to see KC expend serious draft captial to try and move up for the Northwestern OT or the Ohio State guy.  If KC stays put, I'm kind of intrigued by Bergeron...the Syracuse OT....with that in mind..any of you folks up there have a first hand scouting report?  We don't exactly get a lot of Orange football on TV down here in DFW.

I disagree with you on Brown (other than yea he is a better run blocker than pass blocker) but let's leave that there. You won't agree. 

As for the draft I really hope KC moves up for a tackle in this class as a Bills fan. This is not a good offensive tackle class. I have a post on it elsewhere on the board. Skoronski is the best of them. He moves nicely and is plenty athletic but his short arms worry me he struggled to keep true speed rushers off him. Against power rushers he is able to use his footspeed to prepare for the engagement but against bendy speed guys I just worry about his length. I will probably have him graded as a tackle with interior flex but he started as a center at Northwestern and I think he can be a decent tackle but to be elite in the NFL he would want to play inside for me.

Paris Johnson out of Ohio State is the higher ceiling guy. He has all the tools physically. I think you'd want him to add a little bit more weight to his frame and his technique is raw, both his hand work and his base - which is inconsistant - need further development. He reminds me a bit of Tyler Smith who the Cowboys took in the 1st last year and has actually had a decent rookie season (though better in the run game than pass pro) there is talent there but he needs some work.

I like Bergeron who you mention. His tape is good. He is a fluid mover, and I actually think he is the one who is a better pass protector than run blocker. What I will say about him is he is a better fit for the stretch zone schemes. I could see a Shanahan style offense team loving him. I worry a bit about him in a heavy drop back scheme whether he has the functional strength to survive at left tackle. I think it is a technical thing probably related to his base and bis balance but he never quite seems to finish his blocks with the power that he starts them with. That is less of an issue if the QB can see when a rusher is about to break free so I think he might be an NFL right tackle (or even guard) when all is said and done but if he makes it at left tackle my hunch is it will be for a stretch zone team. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.