Oooh, this looks SO cool - let's take a picture! (New Hampshire style)

\GoBillsInDallas/

2 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Someone check in on @PromoTheRobot

Lol, yeah. I've lived here 28 years and you'll never find me on of those hiking trails. Every week they have to rescue some genius who decides they can hike in winter in shorts with just a protein bar in their pocket.

7 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Lol, yeah. I've lived here 28 years and you'll never find me on of those hiking trails. Every week they have to rescue some genius who decides they can hike in winter in shorts with just a protein bar in their pocket.

Mountain Rescue Team staffer: "Is that a protein bar in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?" 

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Mountain Rescue Team staffer: "Is that a protein bar in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?" 

They say that after they defrost them.

FYI, there were so many of these morons that need rescue, sometimes putting the rescuers in mortal danger in the process, that now if they determine your ineptitude was why you needed rescue, you get a nice bill!

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Haha (+1) 1

Ever since Covid started they’re seeing record numbers of rescues in the High Peaks in the Adirondacks.   It’s great that people want to get out and experience nature but some of them have no clue what they’re doing….   Not only are they unsafe, they leave trash behind thinking someone will come along and clean up after them.

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I’ve hiked 4/5 of the 4,000+ footers in Vermont and never once felt as though I was in danger.  Some people are just idiots.

There's a few places on Mansfield that can get hairy if you opt for a more "direct" ascent but you'd have to be a moron to get hurt on an established trail.

1 hour ago, Simon said:

There's a few places on Mansfield that can get hairy if you opt for a more "direct" ascent but you'd have to be a moron to get hurt on an established trail.

Yeah, I’ve done Mansfield, Mt Abe, Killington, and Camel’s Hump.  I just stick to the trails.  Never had a problem.

1 minute ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Yeah, I’ve done Mansfield, Mt Abe, Killington, and Camel’s Hump.  I just stick to the trails.  Never had a problem.

It's funny you mention that because the only place I ever had a problem up that way was near the top of Camel's Hump.

There was this really cool, perfectly flat cloud ceiling only a couple hundred feet above the summit and ripping along about 50 mph and every time I looked up at it I almost fell on my ass. :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Simon said:

I guess I’m a moron?  I broke my ankle once, backpacking in the White Mountains.  It was on an established trail.

I viewed it as just one of those freak things, a fraternity brother sustained a similar break stepping off the entranceway to our dorm.  Stuff happens, I just stepped off a rock instead of a step.

It was just rather more complicated to get me to the hospital.  We weren’t in trouble - we had food, and sleeping bags, and tarps and were all tucked in for the night when the rescue squad got to us.  Our plan was to try to splint up my ankle in the morning, divvy up my pack, and try to help me hobble out (though it was a ***** steep trail for the next half mile, people whose experience is hiking out west have no idea what NE trails are like).  But I was glad to be spared that.

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I guess I’m a moron?  I broke my ankle once, backpacking in the White Mountains.  It was on an established trail.

Get hurt was the wrong choice of words. Fall off would have been more accurate.

And yes, I agree New England rock and root can be way worse than many 3000' climbs out West.

Hope you had a boda bag!

1 hour ago, Simon said:

So, what you’re saying is I’d be in jeopardy. Thanks for the warning!  😋

We did a trail around Blowing Rock, NC years ago that was not too strenuous if you were in decent shape. The problem is, after a bigger person huffed and puffed 3/4 of the way around…..there is a narrow passageway. Some people were exhausting themselves just to finish, then had to turn around and go all the way back. They did not fit through the opening.

That’s messed up. 

• Shocked 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

So, what you’re saying is I’d be in jeopardy. Thanks for the warning!  😋

We did a trail around Blowing Rock, NC years ago that was not too strenuous if you were in decent shape. The problem is, after a bigger person huffed and puffed 3/4 of the way around…..there is a narrow passageway. Some people were exhausting themselves just to finish, then had to turn around and go all the way back. They did not fit through the opening.

That’s messed up. 

This is why I never go hiking without butter!

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.