GDT Thread! It’s here - ELECTION “SEASON” 2022 will conclude in 2023

Just now, Warcodered said:

Wouldn't mind congress getting split if it meant people calmed down and actually started working together to keep things functioning like they're supposed to.

That won't happen until we kill our First Past the Post electoral system.

Just now, SCBills said:

People still love him.  I know quite a few that are still defending him and making excuses for him tonight. 

It’s beyond frustrating.  

I’ll vote for Trump if he’s the nominee, but tonight finally got me to the point where I am truly starting to dislike him.

Trump is a fool.  He absolutely needs to step aside.  He did some great things, but the guy is beyond the pale.  Desantis is the future and that is all there is.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Demongyz said:

Essentially you stated you don't need to care about a county that has half the population of your small town.  It's like SF or LA not caring about the entirety of the state of CA.   It was a bit elitist and overstated.  I'm sure you didn't mean it that way, but it really felt that way.  May as well get rid of the electoral college and so on.

You take things too seriously man.  I was joking.  Sorry you took it the wrong way.

I lived in the Bay Area for nearly 10 years. I hated there elitism. Despised it.  Where I live now may have a population of nearly 100k but the demographics are VERY blue collar and very Hispanic and I love that.  I grew up in a village in NY with a whopping population of 500. I love, cherish and respect the farmers I grew up with and live near now. 

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

People still love him.  I know quite a few that are still defending him and making excuses for him tonight. 

It’s beyond frustrating.  

I’ll vote for Trump if he’s the nominee, but tonight finally got me to the point where I am truly starting to dislike him.

I love him!  But he’s too divisive and we have GOT to move on from that. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

You take things too seriously man.  I was joking.  Sorry you took it the wrong way.

I lived in the Bay Area for nearly 10 years. I hated there elitism. Despised it.  Where I live now may have a population of nearly 100k but the demographics are VERY blue collar and very Hispanic and I love that.  I grew up in a village in NY with a whopping population of 500. I love, cherish and respect the farmers I grew up with and live near now. 

I love him!  But he’s too divisive and we have GOT to move on from that. 

I think we understand each other, well, I understand you.  I grew up in Utah in a county of about 8000 people, a town of about 2000 which was one of the biggest towns in a very large county with no population.  We mine coal, we make power, that's what we do.  The biggest town I lived in before I was 30 was Susanville aka prison town usa. I've moved up to the biggest little city and it's too damned big. 

Remember always that there is a lot of responsibility in the small towns, and they do much more than anyone will ever understand.

Thanks, Chef, for being you.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

I'm still combing through the data, but at this point, this appears to be an underperformance by the GOP. They'll probably take the House but the Senate is still in question at this point.

I don't think the House will be able to be called for several days.

And the Senate may come down to a GA run off on 12/6. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Motorin' said:

I don't think the House will be able to be called for several days.

And the Senate may come down to a GA run off on 12/6. 

And if that's true, it's a complete failure by the GOP. The House and Senate should have been in the bag for them.

• Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, Demongyz said:

Trump is a fool.  He absolutely needs to step aside.  He did some great things, but the guy is beyond the pale.  Desantis is the future and that is all there is.

Only going by the people I converse with, which is a small sample set, but it seems for the R's a lot of them are embarrassed by Trump but still vote for the policies. Of I's, they would rather not vote at all than vote for Trump but they are certainly not for Biden either. Of the D's, they have said they are sick of the direction of the party but if Trump runs they will vote against him every time so please give them another option and they might consider switching their vote. If you find an actual fan of Biden please let me know as I've personally never met one.

Polling apparently shows Trump has higher numbers than Desantis but in my circle I know that Desantis would definitely have their votes. More people vote against Trump than for Biden imo. Just too divisive for a lot of people. If you look at tonight's results (big Desantis win and flipped blue counties, elsewhere people voting against Trump backed candidates) I think it reflects the exact situation I have seen in my own personal interactions.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, KDIGGZ said:

Only going by the people I converse with, which is a small sample set, but it seems for the R's a lot of them are embarrassed by Trump but still vote for the policies. Of I's, they would rather not vote at all than vote for Trump but they are certainly not for Biden either. Of the D's, they have said they are sick of the direction of the party but if Trump runs they will vote against him every time so please give them another option and they might consider switching their vote. If you find an actual fan of Biden please let me know as I've personally never met one.

Polling apparently shows Trump has higher numbers than Desantis but in my circle I know that Desantis would definitely have their votes. More people vote against Trump than for Biden imo. Just too divisive for a lot of people. If you look at tonight's results (big Desantis win and flipped blue counties, elsewhere people voting against Trump backed candidates) I think it reflects the exact situation I have seen in my own personal interactions.

I am yet to meet someone in person who would vote for Trump over Desantis, but I don't know that many people.  I get that there are many folks who think Trump is some messiah but that will change, and it must.  I stay a registered Republican with the hope that I can vote against him again in the primary, but honestly, I'll only do it if Desantis runs against him.  Otherwise I'll have to vote for him and hate myself for it.

Just now, The Frankish Reich said:

Other takeaways from tonight:

-people like legal abortion. We saw it in Kansas in the summer, we see it tonite in several states.

-people dont like taxes. My state (CO) is about to lower our flat state income tax rate again.  
-people like legal weed

The libertarian moment may come after all. 

R’s are horrible at abortion messaging.  Media helps D’s like the good lapdogs they are. 

Reality is the vast majority of Americans, politically, agree with Lindsey Graham.  Abortion legal up to 15 weeks, with exceptions after.  

Poll after poll indicates this. 

But R’s went for the throat immediately after Roe dropped and got branded the extremists.  Damaging especially in the more progressive northern states. 

3 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

-people like legal abortion. We saw it in Kansas in the summer, we see it tonite in several states.

-people dont like taxes. My state (CO) is about to lower our flat state income tax rate again.  
-people like legal weed

Stop the ***** presses.

4 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

-people like legal weed

They like abortion to a point.  Libs like it until the point of birth, Most folks are about 15 weeks.   Taxes are bad, I hate taxes.  I live in Nevada for heavens sake.  We got legal weed, not so great when you get it.  Libertarian here, just understand, it's not awesome for the great scheme of things...  I got through many English classes writing reports on legalization, and not so into it anymore.

Just now, Demongyz said:

They like abortion to a point.  Libs like it until the point of birth, Most folks are about 15 weeks.   Taxes are bad, I hate taxes.  I live in Nevada for heavens sake.  We got legal weed, not so great when you get it.  Libertarian here, just understand, it's not awesome for the great scheme of things...  I got through many English classes writing reports on legalization, and not so into it anymore.

As a conservative, I really want to like our Libertarian cousins, but y’all have to go to stop killing Republicans in key races.  

The libertarian in the Georgia Senate race has 2%… awesome, hope those voters are happy with themselves. 

Just now, Demongyz said:

Libs like it until the point of birth, Most folks are about 15 weeks.   

Just want to point out that this is a fallacy. You'll have a hard time finding people who are in favor of allowing a healthy pregnancy to be aborted at term. 

The nuance and complexity comes around how abortion laws interact with other aspects of healthcare such as miscarriages and fatal fetal diagnosis. 

A bit more simple, ask yourself: how many people are going to go through all of the pains and difficulties of pregnancy for 8.5 months and then suddenly decide that they don't wan the baby?

Just now, SCBills said:

As a conservative, I really want to like our Libertarian cousins, but y’all have to go to stop killing Republicans in key races.  

The libertarian in the Georgia Senate race has 2%… awesome, hope those voters are happy with themselves. 

I voted a straight GOP ticket.  I know what the stakes are.

Just now, ChiGoose said:

Just want to point out that this is a fallacy. You'll have a hard time finding people who are in favor of allowing a healthy pregnancy to be aborted at term. 

The nuance and complexity comes around how abortion laws interact with other aspects of healthcare such as miscarriages and fatal fetal diagnosis. 

A bit more simple, ask yourself: how many people are going to go through all of the pains and difficulties of pregnancy for 8.5 months and then suddenly decide that they don't wan the baby?

I agree 100%.  What are the politicians saying?  Left=It's between a woman and her Dr.  right: not so simple.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Demongyz said:

I got through many English classes writing reports on legalization, and not so into it anymore.

Lol I used the same report on legalization of gambling for like 3 straight college classes to get an economics minor.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, ChiGoose said:

Guttmacher institute (they conduct polling for PP) found that most abortions after the first trimester are elective.  

Typically due to change in economic status or the father leaving the picture. 

It’s a fallacy to keep saying nobody is having elective abortions after 12-15 weeks.  Most are elective in the second trimester with third trimester elective abortions being much more rare, obviously. 

3 minutes ago, Demongyz said:

What are the politicians saying?  Left=It's between a woman and her Dr.  right: not so simple.

The reason they say that it is it easier to spread misinformation that abortions 8 months in are elective than it is to explain the nuances of why someone would have to have an abortion at that stage. 

So instead of spending several minutes explaining the nuances of pregnancy healthcare, liberal politicians find it easier to phrase it as keeping the government out of healthcare decisions.