Bills games should become a destination for opposing fans

gmanbfan

It's clear that with all the media attention around Bills mafia and the gameday experience, fans of opposing teams want to come and join in the festivities.  A few years back, I use to hate the sight of opposing fans in the Ralph.  The amount of fights I saw in the stadium is staggering.  My tune has changed.  People want to come and experience the game day awesomeness that is a Bills game.  

I've been to 20 nfl stadiums and only had one bad experience in Carolina (drunk kids wouldn't leave me alone all game), but in general have been treated very well by opposing fans.

I think we should celebrate Buffalo being a destination for opposing fans, credit to the Bills Mafia brand and what it's done for this franchise.  I just sometimes get annoyed with the amount of Canadian fans that support the other teams... and I'm Canadian!  

Embrace the attention, and show fans the awesome hospitality that Buffalo has to offer!

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Yep, agree.  We had a post about this leading up to the home opener.  Attending a Bills game in Orchard Park is on the bucket list for lot's of opposing team fans. The tailgate scene has gotten a lot of national publicity with all the "Mafia" stuff.

• Simon changed the title to Bills games should become a destination for opposing fans

The atmosphere now compared to 20 years ago is night and day.  If you wore an opposing team's jersey 20 years ago, you were going to get in a brawl.  Not anymore.  The Bills have done a much better job with security.  Having a winning team now also doesn't hurt.  At one point I almost considered never coming back to the stadium.  

Edited by Irv
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I met a ton of fans from Green Bay/Milwaukee and even some up from Wyoming yesterday and everybody was just having a friggin blast!  One guy even said "I used to think the greatest place on earth was Lambeau but this place f***king blows it away!"  It was great to see so many people in town and enjoying themselves.  The atmosphere was top notch yesterday.  I do an annual road game trip with my buddies and I joke around with them and say sometimes I wish we weren't from Buffalo because that would be the Number one football trip I would want to do.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Irv said:

The atmosphere now compared to 20 years ago is night and day.  If you wore an opposing team's jersey 20 years ago, you were going to get in a brawl.  Not anymore.  The Bills have done a much better job with security.  Having a winning team now also doesn't hurt.  At one point I almost considered never coming back to the stadium.  

Bills were going to win the game and everyone knew it. At that point it's just about having fun and enjoying the atmosphere. I don't think Bills fans will be partying with KC fans in January however

I was at the first two home games this year and met a BUNCH of people who came just to experience Bills Mafia, including:

— A couple from the Dallas area

— A guy and his brother from San Francisco (they’re trying to go to every NFL stadium and only have a few left on their list)

— A group of guys from Belfast, Ireland

— A couple from Montreal

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, gmanbfan said:

It's clear that with all the media attention around Bills mafia and the gameday experience, fans of opposing teams want to come and join in the festivities.  A few years back, I use to hate the sight of opposing fans in the Ralph.  The amount of fights I saw in the stadium is staggering.  My tune has changed.  People want to come and experience the game day awesomeness that is a Bills game.  

I've been to 20 nfl stadiums and only had one bad experience in Carolina (drunk kids wouldn't leave me alone all game), but in general have been treated very well by opposing fans.

I think we should celebrate Buffalo being a destination for opposing fans, credit to the Bills Mafia brand and what it's done for this franchise.  I just sometimes get annoyed with the amount of Canadian fans that support the other teams... and I'm Canadian!  

Embrace the attention, and show fans the awesome hospitality that Buffalo has to offer!

As your own post states, Bills games HAVE become a destination.  I guess what you mean is we all SHOULD embrace this, which I think many fans have.

Buffalo seems to have always suffered from the Sally Field's insecurity, but now we're finding out "You (the rest of the country) like us, you really like us!"

1 hour ago, gmanbfan said:

Yeah last year's Colts affair was dreadful. If that's what it will become, the Bills have to avoid fluffing games like that one. They caught a break vs. GB that their receiving corps was decimated.

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

It already has.  There has been a growing amount of national media pieces on precisely this--that the Bills offer a unique home game experience worth traveling to see.

Have you not seen this stuff? It's everywhere.

Unfortunately, they will lose some of that unique home field advantage with the new stadium. Raised ticket prices and PSL fees will do that. 

Just interesting how I see opposing fans attending a Buffalo game have been treated as of late.  15-20 years ago, someone wearing an opposing team's jersey would be subject to verbal abuse, things thrown at them, resulting in a terrible game day experience for those folks.

I would actually tell fans of teams at away games I attended not to travel to Buffalo... was on par with an Oakland experience

I see a change... I have to say a lot of it has to do with how the Bills community has embraced the Bills Mafia badge.  Yes, we party, we enjoy, we do crazy things... but come and see and come and take part!  Think it's great for the Bills franchise and Buffalo community.  I now recommend anyone (regardless of favorite team) to go and see a game in Buffalo.  And they should definitely see one before Highmark is gone!

19 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Unfortunately, they will lose some of that unique home field advantage with the new stadium. Raised ticket prices and PSL fees will do that. 

Tickets to Bills games are already some of the most expensive in the NFL Resale market, so doubt they'll go up too much with a new stadium.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/scoreboard/_/week/10/year/2022/seasontype/2

What I'd like is more games I can enjoy not having to wear 14 layers and worrying about 30 mph winds.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Billsfan1972 said:

Tickets to Bills games are already some of the most expensive in the NFL Resale market, so doubt they'll go up too much with a new stadium.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/scoreboard/_/week/10/year/2022/seasontype/2

What I'd like is more games I can enjoy not having to wear 14 layers and worrying about 30 mph winds.

Curious to see how the new stadium will keep the winds down. Obviously, it will be cold because of no dome but they say the design of it will minimize the winds. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.