Top 10 NFL Slot Receivers according to NexGen Stats

Beck Water

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Sure, but if the argument is that Kupp can't be a slot receiver because he is the #1 receiver that can only be on the basis of his production. Because he isn't a prototypical X receiver in the mould of Eric Moulds or Randy Moss or peak AJ Green. 

You can almost count on one hand the number of times in a season Kupp is asked to line up split wide and run a fade or a deep corner route. He isn't great at that stuff so why ask him to do it? Far better to do what the Rams do which is scheme to his strengths. 

Totally agree that Kupp is, in fact, the rare TRUE slot WR and his team's undisputed #1 WR by design and production. 

Bit of an anomaly.

9 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I'm old enough to remember when Next Gen type stats told us that Josh Allen was a bust, Lamar was going to be a multiple time MVP and Sam, Baker and Rosen were the future of the NFL.

Congratulations.  You're older than four.

• Haha (+1) 2

17 hours ago, StHustle said:

Josh has a 126.8 passer rating when targeting Lil Dirty out of the slot. 2nd in the league with 3 TDs out of the slot so far this season. 

Yet some people want McKenzie benched and have given up on him 🤦🏾‍♂️

I question whether that’s more McKenzie or Josh.  There’s no doubt McKenzie is a weapon, I don’t think anyone will argue that.  The problem with him are his mental lapses.  If he was one of the top 3 mentioned slot receivers, he would have 4+ TD’s and the team would be undefeated.  

3 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

I question whether that’s more McKenzie or Josh.  There’s no doubt McKenzie is a weapon, I don’t think anyone will argue that.  The problem with him are his mental lapses.  If he was one of the top 3 mentioned slot receivers, he would have 4+ TD’s and the team would be undefeated.  

Lil' Dirty is not the reason why we are not undefeated. He was 7 for 9 in the Dolphins game and had Josh not thrown the ball into the ground McKenzie would have had a TD and won the game. Now, he had a horrible game in KC and he deserves the criticism for that performance but I think he's much better than what we just saw.

• Agree 2

On 10/28/2022 at 11:37 AM, Mango said:

I am/was a big McKenzie fan coming into this season but he really frustrated me in the last outing. He has been moderately productive for us. 

The eyeball test as you mentioned speaks to a different tune.  He flashes at times and I was hoping the McKenzie from the Pats game last year is what I was hoping we would see consistently this year.  The one McKenzie drop in KC was discussed at length on the various WGR shows, and that that one was on Allen for not placing the ball in the right spot.

I do like what we are beginning to see from Shakir.  I agree with a couple of posters people like Cupp are not slot receivers, even though they line up at times in the slot.  Then again, I’d say the same on Godwin.  I watch the Bucs weekly when it’s doesn’t conflict with the Bills and Godwin is more like Davis.  Scott Miller is the Bucs slot guy.  

That’s why these lists are not always accurate.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.