Kansas City Clock management under 2 minutes

ChronicAndKnuckles

Not sure if this was posted, but KC had 2 time outs I believe on Buffalo’s last drive when we were near the goal line. Instead of using them they let the clock run down to 1:04. Don’t understand this strategy at all. Buffalo is down 3 and is pretty much guaranteed at least a field goal, but you have to know a touchdown is very possible. I think it would make more sense for KC to burn a Time out, Buffalo scores a TD, and then be left with 1:40ish + one last time out on their final drive. What am I missing ? Seems like bad clock management. 

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles

1 minute ago, Malazan said:

I think they valued having them on offense and being able to work the whole field. The time remaining (1:04) was plenty of time for them. 

Good point. They've been really good with their timeouts to get field goals with just 12 and 13 seconds. It was no guarantee that the Bills would go up 4. We could have easily only gone up 3.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Not sure if this was posted, but KC had 2 time outs I believe on Buffalo’s last drive when we were near the goal line. Instead of using them they let the clock run down to 1:04. Don’t understand this strategy at all. Buffalo is down 3 and is pretty much guaranteed at least a field goal, but you have to know a touchdown is very possible. I think it would make more sense for KC to burn a Time out, Buffalo scores a TD, and then be left with 1:40ish + one last time out on their final drive. What am I missing ? Seems like bad clock management. 

Just like the Bills with Mahomes, Kansas city wants to run the clock down as much as possible not to give the Bills a chance to get it back after their assumption that they will score. What does KC need more time for they have literally moved the ball into scoring position is 12 and 13 seconds. I get they need a TD in this one but i'm sure they thought 1:04 was more than plenty of time.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

they focused on defense to hold them to a FG then take the game into OT.

had it been tied at 20 like against Baltimore things would be different.

sure they could take the mentality at the 2 min warning to let them score a TD then their offense could get a TD to win with the most time and both time outs.

6 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

I was convinced that we needed the turnover to win.  1:04 with two timeouts and 4 down territory all the way down the field is a perfect script for Mahomes.  

2+ minutes an 2 TOS is more than enough time for him to go down the field for a TD.

id like to hear about the end of first half and not tackling him in bounds forcing them to use their TO.

46 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

This-1:04 with 2 timeouts is better than 1:40 with no timeouts 

We scored on 2nd down so it essentially would’ve been 1:40 with one time out, but who knows what might’ve happened if they had called one

30 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

I was convinced that we needed the turnover to win.  1:04 with two timeouts and 4 down territory all the way down the field is a perfect script for Mahomes.  

I would’ve took the extra 40 seconds. They always have the option to spike it or throw a sideline pass. I still think 40 seconds is more valuable than an extra time out 🤷🏻 but I’m not an SB winning NFL coach 

31 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

I felt okay since they needed a TD but yeah they could have easily gotten into the red zone and then it is anyone's game.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.