What is Bates doing before snaps?

Toledo Bill

checking with Josh that he is ready than giving the signal to Morse that the ball is ready to be snapped.

it is done in away games primarily where it is loud and the communication can be difficult.

a silent snap count.

downside is that hte defense is qued up.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Toledo Bill said:

Is he calling blocking assignments? I thought the center did that. He turns around before every snap and is barely ready when the ball is in play.

I haven’t noticed other teams doing this with guards.

He's looking for the QB's foot motion indicating he wants the ball, then signalling the C to snap it. 

The C used to look back between his legs, and then look up and snap it, but other teams learned to watch the C head motion to anticipate the snap.

Canny teams have pre-agreed variable times between the look and the signal, to try to catch the defense going early.  One of the comments made about the Miami game was that the C were not changing it up - probably because they were the backup and the 3rd string - but that helped the Mia D pin their ears back on us

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It's the silent snap routine.  Centers used to look down between their legs to get the signal to snap from the QB, but then New England starting moving the D around when the Center did that...

So the league adjusted with the guard looking at the signal from the QB, and then tapping the center or putting his hand up to tell the center "ready for the snap whenever you are" and he's giving a visual cue that the tackles can see in case they can't see the ball itself.

I think that's what you mean.

Is he calling blocking assignments? I thought the center did that. He turns around before every snap and is barely ready when the ball is in play.

No, he is checking for Josh to signal he wants the ball and then signaling to Morse to snap it. Then Morse usually turns his head which signals Saffold and Dawkins that he is going to snap it since they can't see Bates arm movement. 

The Center used to do all that on his own until Belichick started being smart and when the center would look back to see if he wanted to snap, the DLine would shift so when he turned around and looked they were in different places which forced him to have to either snap the ball with bad protections in place or try and hurry up and change protections which might cause a delay of game or someone not getting the call, etc...

So now the C always looks ahead so he can handle the protection calls and not have to worry about players moving last second when he isn't looking.  

Edited by Big Turk

I think the others nailed it and it is very common now.  Almost every team uses the RG in that way.

He taps, waves a hand, does other motion and the center knows Josh is ready.

5 hours ago, Toledo Bill said:

Silent count because of crowd noise.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.