Dallas Cowboys in 05......

Disclaimer: I am starting this "football" thread as per the request by Promo.

I happen to think that Drew will play well in Dallas. He has good receivers and a very good tight end, which a case could be made that he appears to need (good results with Coates). I dont know that much about their OL, but I am thinking that it is certainly comparable to ours.

Demarcus Ware could have an immediate impact as a pass rusher, and they seemed to focus on defense in the draft.

The Skins are impossible to predict. The Giants should improve, and the Eagles are obviously tough, so their division is good, but seemingly not a killer.

Do those of you who wanted Bledsoe out of here at any and all cost think that he is SOOO bad that he will take down the Cowboys, even with a great coach like Parcells?

MM kept Drew on a short leash of sorts and my hopes and even expectations are very high for our headcoach, but he was still a rookie. Parcells is a champion AND he knows Drew. If anybody can handle Drew (or perhaps any player) it is Parcells.

In summary, I am going to go on a limb here and predict that Dallas will make the playoffs in the NFC, and I am curious as to how others feel.

Was this OK Promo? :blink:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Cowboys had an excellent defensive draft and already have some good receivers and a great young RB (thanks to us) in Jones. I think Parcells will put a good line in front of Drew and design an offense that will take advantage of his abilities.

With their defense, at least potentially, they shouldn't have to score a ton of points.

I totally disagree with everyone who thinks Dallas has anything but an average to subpar WR corps. Other than that, I agree that they will be improved, and will be atleast in the hunt for a playoff spot towards the end of the season based on their focus on defense, improving their OL, QB and Julius Jones.

I totally disagree with everyone who thinks Dallas has anything but an average to subpar WR corps. Other than that, I agree that they will be improved, and will be atleast in the hunt for a playoff spot towards the end of the season based on their focus on defense, improving their OL, QB and Julius Jones.

337275[/snapback]

Parcells might not hurt the cause either. :blink:

I expect the Cowboys to run as much as possible with Julius Jones, since their QB cannot. Otherwise, they will be blitzed early and often which doesn't bode well. The Defense has Roy Williams and little else.

I believe the Cowboys will struggle in that Division. Living in the past only worked for George Allen 30 + years ago but it's a losing formula in the cap age. Parcells had his best years with Belichick standing by his side and those days are long gone.

drew will be drew. QB rating in the low 70s. probably enough to get them on the cusp of the playoffs (b/c of defense and running game), but nowhere once they have to play a team that will gameplan for drew's weaknesses. they don't have a legitimate speed receiver to stretch the field (terry glenn? i don't think so), and i believe teams will quickly line up to stop JJ and make drew beat them. that's where the mistakes start to pile up.

they'll beat the teams they're supposed to beat, but they aren't a legitimate SB contender by a longshot.

Don't overlook the overall weakness of the NFC. I expect some dropoff in Green Bay and I don't think St. Louis and Seattle improved from last year -- and those were all playoff teams. Even if the Vikings are better (and that's still a good question, since Moss scored so much for them and affected how defenses played them in ways that won't happen in '05), there's plenty of room to rise in the NFC. A 9-7 record is likely a playoff lock, and 8-8 did it last year.

If Marco Rivera cannot play this year(he hurt his back shortly after signing with Dallas), it will leave one HUGE hole on the OL. On defense, they drafted 2 DL and a rush LB early, but how successful rookies play varies greatly . If Terry Glenn, Keyshawn and Quincy Morgan can provide consistent and injury free WR play, they will provide decent offensive weapons to go along with Jones and Witten.

All that being said, 8-8 or 9-7 and getting a wild card, is the best I can see for the Cowboys.

If you look at both teams , I think the Bills roster will rank ahead in almost every catagory besides TE. The one difference is that Dallas has a weak schedule . Look at when Drew has to play a playoff caliber team . If you need him to step up AND not make mistakes, he will and has failed miserable over a 2 year period . Im glad he left with his tail between his legs .

Parcells scheem will help Bledsoe. I think that they were kinda in the same situation at quaterback we were in a few years back as in who are you going to get ? Vinny was practly a grandma in the pocket , you spent a ton on a failed 3rd basemen . They find out Quincy is a nut only to let him go to help the jets get to the playoff < still a good move though > . I think that our backup QB is better than Drew . If we would have had Kelly Holcomb last year we would have been in the playoffs !!!

I love nothing better to watch the cowboys lose and the BILLS win .This season could really shape nice for this Cr8ZyA$$BillsFaNnTexas .

If Marco Rivera cannot play this year(he hurt his back shortly after signing with Dallas), it will leave one HUGE hole on the OL.  On defense, they drafted 2 DL and a rush LB early, but how successful rookies play varies greatly .  If Terry Glenn, Keyshawn and Quincy Morgan can provide consistent and injury free WR play, they will provide decent offensive weapons to go along with Jones and Witten. 

All that being said, 8-8 or 9-7 and getting a wild card, is the best I can see for the Cowboys.

337317[/snapback]

I agree...the NFC is weak, there is no reason that the Cowboys can't finish second in their divison (the Giants and Redskins will continue to get worse, before they get better), and pick up a wild card spot with a 9-7 record. A lot of this, of course is reliant more on how well all of the Cowboys defensive draft picks perform, more than anything.

On offense they should be pretty decent. Bledsoe is a slight upgrade over Testeverde, they have a decent WR core, a better than average O-line, and Julius Jones gives them a great threat. One thing Bledsoe will have in Dallas, that he never had in Buffalo, is a great Tight End. Jason Witten is only a notch below guys like Gonzalez and Gates. It is amazing the difference that can make in offensive production.

Personally, I can't wait to see Drew face the Eagles and Redskins. Early in the season they also see San Diego and Oakland on the road. The Raiders gave Drew fits last season.

Late in the year they face back-to-back games with Washington and Carolina. The rest of the schedule is pretty weak.

I'm not sure how big a difference Parcell is going to make. He didn't make Vinny suck any less.

Personally, I can't wait to see Drew face the Eagles and Redskins.  Early in the season they also see San Diego and Oakland on the road.  The Raiders gave Drew fits last season.

Late in the year they face back-to-back games with Washington and Carolina.  The rest of the schedule is pretty weak.

I'm not sure how big a difference Parcell is going to make.  He didn't make Vinny suck any less.

337481[/snapback]

OK, but do you predict a playoff spot, or no? :D

Eagles, Minnesota, Atlanta and Seattle will probably be the division winners.

That leaves two spots:

Tampa Bay, Dallas improved from the draft.

St. Louis, Carolina, Detroit, Green Bay and Washington also will be

competing....

Picking two out of those 7 teams at this point is pretty hard...It all depends

on how their scheudules play out....

Looking at Dallas schedule,

They probably could go 3-3 in their division with two losses to Philadelphia

and a road loss to washington...(2 wins against the young giants and a home

win against washington).

They have tough road games at Seattle, Carolina, and San Diego....With

Drews record on the road being so miserable, I see them go 0-3 on

the road against those teams....That is 6 losses.

They could potentially win the remaining 10 games or lose a few here and

there to go 8-8 which is a trademark number for Drew.

I'm not sure how big a difference Parcell is going to make.  He didn't make Vinny suck any less.

337481[/snapback]

I see what you are saying AD, but as someone subjected to Dallas Cowboys football every weekend, I can tell you, Vinny's problems were as much his increasing age as anything. There were times when he looked very good (better than Drew did at any time last year) and times where he was just plain awful...there was just something about his body langauge, at times, where he looked very stiff and achey, and other times when he looked just fine. Being about Vinny's age (though I would never claim to be as fit), I can tell you, aches and pains take their toll some days...and then other days you feel just fine...

Vinnys biggest weakness, even in his physical prime, has always been his decision making under pressure. He and Drew have more than one thing in common...so, if all goes as planned for the Cowboys, they are getting a QB who is just like Vinny, only the Vinny of 5 years ago...it may be good enough to get carry them to a wild card spot...