Ragweed

BarleyNY

I spent a week’s vacation in Northern Vermont a couple weeks ago. Weather and allergies were a big downer. My eyes were a mess almost certainly due to ragweed. Last week here in Buffalo everything was okay. This weekend and today it feels like Vermont all over again. Anyone else going through this?

FYI I am taking Claritin, Zyrtec and Benadryl on a daily basis.

Have you ever gone to an allergist?  I've had allergies since I was 10.  Our Doc told my Mom that I would outgrow them.  Still waiting for that to happen.  I was medically discharged from the USAF because they wouldn't let me fly, and take the meds.

Have lived all over the US; Buffalo, N Virginia, Chicago. Central Virginia, Houston & Seattle.  When I moved to Seattle, my allergies sort of stopped, for the first year, but then, everything came back.  In my case, there has been no good place to live to beat this.

I get shots 1x a month, and take a generic version of Dimetapp, since the original was taken off the market 20 years ago.

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

I spent a week’s vacation in Northern Vermont a couple weeks ago. Weather and allergies were a big downer. My eyes were a mess almost certainly due to ragweed. Last week here in Buffalo everything was okay. This weekend and today it feels like Vermont all over again. Anyone else going through this?

A lot of the rag weed is maturing and seeding out right now,  which could be the problem.    Or it could be related to people cutting it and making it airborne.   Farms have to cut it down before the seeds mature so it doesn't turn into a bigger problem next year........so there is a lot of chopping going on in fields just for that reason.   Dry years like this really allow ragweed and other very drought-resistant weeds to overtake grasses and clover..........and some areas of WNY have been absolutely bone dry past few months.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Have you ever gone to an allergist?  I've had allergies since I was 10.  Our Doc told my Mom that I would outgrow them.  Still waiting for that to happen.  I was medically discharged from the USAF because they wouldn't let me fly, and take the meds.

Have lived all over the US; Buffalo, N Virginia, Chicago. Central Virginia, Houston & Seattle.  When I moved to Seattle, my allergies sort of stopped, for the first year, but then, everything came back.  In my case, there has been no good place to live to beat this.

I get shots 1x a month, and take a generic version of Dimetapp, since the original was taken off the market 20 years ago.

Thanks for the reply. I’m 53 now. I got allergy shots as a child until I went away to college. I’ve taken taken OTC meds since. I also take a puff of QVar everyday for asthma. I do have an allergist now. I started taking Grastek this year to help with my grass allergy. It is an immunotherapy for Timothy and related grass allergies. 2-3 seasons of that and hopefully at least that is in check.

Interesting similarity - my allergies totally went away my first year in Buffalo. I was overjoyed. Then year 2 happened and I was right back to the usual. I heard that there is an air mass hanging over Buffalo now. It has a lot of allergens from the Midwest and Canada caught up in it. It should be gone by sometime Wednesday. Maybe that is it. 

I live in Vermont just outside of Middlebury.  Same thing for me with the ragweed the past month or so.  Happens around the same time every year.  Sometimes I wake up with my eyes partially swollen shut.  Sometimes I wake up and feel like I’m breathing through a cocktail straw.  Allegra usually does the trick for me.

Where’d you visit in Vermont?  Sucks you had some bad weather.  Vermont is so beautiful in the summer/fall.  

3 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

I live in California. Our weed is the best. 

I’m not sure what the etiquette is, but the maids cleaning up after visitors flying home from vacations must get a different kind of tip if they discover what had to be left behind. It could be it’s own little cottage industry. 

11 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

A friend with weed is a friend indeed 

We can share what we got of yours ‘cause we’ve done shared all of mine…..🎶

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Claritin and Zyrtec? Don't they have the same anti-histamine function?

Had ragweed allergy really bad from 18 till 37 when I moved to California/ Pollen must be slightly different there as didn't have any problems until I moved back to WNY in 2014 (age 57).  Symptoms came back but nowhere near as bad.  Had pulled a muscle in my neck sneezing years ago.  Used to take drixoral but it really knocked me out. I now take the generic version of Allegra and it works well with no drowsiness.

The symptoms come on like clockwork around August 15 and last until the frost hits.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

A friend with weed is a friend indeed 

Back when I was in HS in the 70’s I worked at my dad’s restaurant so I always had money which means I always had weed.  I had a friend who’d pull up, roll down the window and say “wanna smoke a bowl?”   I’d get in and he’d hand me an empty pipe and say fill ‘er up!  Fell for it every damn time.  LOL

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Back when I was in HS in the 70’s I worked at my dad’s restaurant so I always had money which means I always had weed.  I had a friend who’d pull up, roll down the window and say “wanna smoke a bowl?”   I’d get in and he’d hand me an empty pipe and say fill ‘er up!  Fell for it every damn time.  LOL

After the second time…………..you were just ready for a buzz on anyone’s tab.  👍 

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

Actually I just wanted to go for a cruise and he had a car.  I knew it was my “entrance fee”.   

That sounds very reasonable.  

A lot of us are about the same age from the same general area. I knew a guy in college in Cincinnati for a couple years before I learned we played hockey against each other in Williamsville. It was our guys against their guys on the pond across Maple Rd. 

I’d bet there are at least a couple…..”WAIT! You’re him?” situations here. 

11 minutes ago, Augie said:

That sounds very reasonable.  

A lot of us are about the same age from the same general area. I knew a guy in college in Cincinnati for a couple years before I learned we played hockey against each other in Williamsville. It was our guys against their guys on the pond across Maple Rd. 

I’d bet there are at least a couple…..”WAIT! You’re him?” situations here. 

Gonna need a weed reference on this post... it's weed season apparently.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.