Inflation Reduction Act Tell Me How This Works PLEASE !!

1 minute ago, Chris farley said:

you talking about when the dems had the house?

Did you send any of the stimy back?  any of them unemployment bonuses?  

This is a pretty simpleton way of looking at this

Your average American could use that money that was sent those stimulus checks. The problem is people receive money that didn’t really need it.  

Just now, John from Riverside said:

This is a pretty simpleton way of looking at this

Your average American could use that money that was sent those stimulus checks. The problem is people receive money that didn’t really need it.  

trying to argue that the covid spending was trump, and trump alone is very simple and wrong. 

revisionist history.

• Like (+1) 1

Of the things the Biden Administration has done this one is a real head scratcher to me. There’s no way in hell you’re going to convince average Americans that inflation isn’t a significant issue in their daily lives. They see it and feel it virtually every day. The Administration would be far better off not talking bout it at all, just as they’ve chosen to do with so many other topics in the last almost three years. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 8/18/2022 at 9:57 AM, Steve O said:

So one of the big things in the inflation reduction act is increasing the size of the IRS to try to reclaim missed taxes. Wouldn't it make more sense to implement a consumption tax and decrease the size of the IRS? Avoid all those federal salaries and health care policies. This would tax those that have income from alternative means, no loopholes for the rich. Japan has had a consumption tax for over 30 years, a lot of growing pains could be avoided studying that history. 

The last (semi) serious attempt to actually rethink how the USA raises tax revenue was Herman Cain's 9-9-9 thing. It wouldn't have worked as he proposed it, but at least it showed some outside the box thinking. Good luck finding that anywhere in the 14 presidential candidates for 2024.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

The last (semi) serious attempt to actually rethink how the USA raises tax revenue was Herman Cain's 9-9-9 thing. It wouldn't have worked as he proposed it, but at least it showed some outside the box thinking. Good luck finding that anywhere in the 14 presidential candidates for 2024.

I believe Vivek promotes a completely flat tax on all income of every kind, for everyone. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I believe Vivek promotes a completely flat tax on all income of every kind, for everyone. 

I'll have to look at that. Thanks for pointing that out.

In general, "flat tax" sounds good, but the devil is in the details. How do you compute income for that flat rate? It becomes very complex, and you sometimes wind up with something just as cumbersome as the current tax code. That's why consumption taxes are generally preferable.

42 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

trying to argue that the covid spending was trump, and trump alone is very simple and wrong. 

revisionist history.

He signed off on it.  And, he blew the Senate for Republicans by supporting the more than tripling the individual COVID relief checks.  Blame doesn’t lie solely with Trump for whatever grievance might have with COVID spending.  But the fact remains that this guy is responsible for cutting the top tax rate while at the same time spending like a drunken sailor.  If that’s your definition of fiscal conservatism, then you must be MAGA. 

The Inflation Reduction Act should have been called the Renewable Energy Subsidy Act.  The largest component of spending in the act is targeted toward renewables and climate change initiatives. 

Anyone with the means who is a homeowner should consider taking advantage of the "free money" being thrown around in this act.  In our case we received quotes for solar that with the government rebate will eliminate our $350+/month electric bill with a payback of 6-7 years.  We are getting quotes for geothermal (ground source heat pump) and considering replacing our 10-year-old pool air source heat pump so that we fully utilize these incentives while they are available.  

Personally, I think the act was a poorly named and thought-out way to promote renewables.  The incentives will largely be utilized by middle to upper income homeowners in suburban or rural settings.  These incentives do nothing for renters, urban homeowners or homeless.  It really highlights the stupidity of blue state representatives as in general their constituents benefit the least from this spending.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I'll have to look at that. Thanks for pointing that out.

In general, "flat tax" sounds good, but the devil is in the details. How do you compute income for that flat rate? It becomes very complex, and you sometimes wind up with something just as cumbersome as the current tax code. That's why consumption taxes are generally preferable.

I’m not in favor of a consumption tax. The wealthy don’t ‘consume’ anywhere near the same percentage of their income as the poor do. I see no problem with a flat tax. If the IRS can calculate all the nonsense embedded in our current tax code, administrating a truly flat tax would be a walk in the park. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

If the IRS can calculate all the nonsense embedded in our current tax code, administrating a truly flat tax would be a walk in the park

I'm not so sure. Understand that I am using this as an example, not a political point: Trump's taxes. What "income" counts? Those years he didn't pay income taxes, did he have "income?" It's still a mess.

Meanwhile, he consumed. A lot. A VAT is often regressive, but there are ways to at least partly ameliorate that through grants, etc.

46 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Of the things the Biden Administration has done this one is a real head scratcher to me. There’s no way in hell you’re going to convince average Americans that inflation isn’t a significant issue in their daily lives. They see it and feel it virtually every day. The Administration would be far better off not talking bout it at all, just as they’ve chosen to do with so many other topics in the last almost three years. 

Not only are they talking about it...

They've branded it as their own.

Bidenomics.

Brilliant!

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I'm not so sure. Understand that I am using this as an example, not a political point: Trump's taxes. What "income" counts? Those years he didn't pay income taxes, did he have "income?" It's still a mess.

Meanwhile, he consumed. A lot. A VAT is often regressive, but there are ways to at least partly ameliorate that through grants, etc.

Thanks Frank

No politics from me here either. As a traditionally high earner, I can tell you that a consumption tax would be an unnecessary benefit to me and my family. Regardless of the details, we already know that the government is able to tax ‘income’. They do now. The change would be that ALL types of income would taxed at the same rate, and there wouldn’t be any write offs. Your tax form would be extremely short. But…now EVERYONE would have skin in the game and everyone would push back (or not) on tax increases. 

• Like (+1) 1