Who do you consider to be the most overrated player(s) at their position in NFL history?

Big Turk

On 7/21/2022 at 9:40 AM, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

I'm going with Lamar Jackson.  Obviously very talented, but I think he gets so much hype because people (media) get uncomfortable to criticize him due to the whole "play WR" thing etc.  Yet, when most people hype him up, the first thing often referenced is his ability to "run".  And when teams are able to bottleneck his ability to run or get ahead in games, he's not near as successful.  Bottomline: if he was required to play in a more traditional system would he be as good?  

I'm with you and its not a popular opinion but I don't think he is a very good QB.  Tremendous athlete but I just dont think he is a very good QB.

On 7/23/2022 at 10:21 AM, Since1981 said:

Most of the Dallas cowboy skill players  after 1992

SEE Troy Romo Dak any RB

Agree.  Seems that being a member of "America's Team" (cough, gag) gets one a pass.  Tony Romo is excellent as an analyst, but was much over-rated as a QB, imo.

• Like (+1) 2

On 7/21/2022 at 8:50 PM, JayBaller10 said:

Yeah I didn’t mean that Emmitt wasn’t a very good RB, but I said he was most overrated at his position because at one point the discussion was “who was the greatest RB of all time? Emmitt or Barry?” He’s mentioned among the greats and he wouldn’t even be in my top 5 (Sanders, Brown, Payton, Simpson, Sayers). Top 10? Not sure, but that’s a more debate worthy discussion where he could duke it out with A Peterson, T Thomas, M Faulk, E Dickerson, L Tomlinson, B Jackson, and E Campbell.

Ah gotcha. Overrated in the sense that he's mentioned with the absolute best at the position, makes sense. 

I agree there. I'd also put Sanders, Payton, Jim Brown, Eric Dickerson, LT, Mashall Faulk & OJ above him when it comes to actual skill. Emmitt is an all time great, just not worthy of being mentioned in the same tier as the top 3-5 guys. Fair enough! 👍

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Ah gotcha. Overrated in the sense that he's mentioned with the absolute best at the position, makes sense. 

I agree there. I'd also put Sanders, Payton, Jim Brown, Eric Dickerson, LT, Mashall Faulk & OJ above him when it comes to actual skill. Emmitt is an all time great, just not worthy of being mentioned in the same tier as the top 3-5 guys. Fair enough! 👍

Too bad LT wasn’t on those Cowboys teams instead of Emmett. With him sitting on the sidelines with a towel over his head, we may have won one of those SB’s.

10 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I saw Unitas and Staubach play and Brees was better.  Brees' accuracy and ability to throw receivers open was uncanny.  In my mind, he's top five all time.  

Brady, Montana, Manning, Elway, Marino, Rodgers...

Who would you put him above?  

Garo Yepremiem - Most Overrated Super Bowl QB.  I also think Dak Prescott is currently the most overrated player in the NFL today.  What has he done?  Zilch.  

Edited by Irv

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.