Impact of Dobbs and Abortion Laws

Democrats won a seat in Alabama yesterday in a deep red district running on reproductive rights

HA HA

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/marilyn-lands-alabama-special-election-abortion/

Washington — Democrat Marilyn Lands won a special election for an Alabama state House seat late Tuesday, flipping a Republican-held seat in the deep-red state in the aftermath of a court ruling in the state that threw access to fertility treatments into question.

Lands, a mental health counselor, made reproductive rights central to her campaign. She's spoken openly about her own abortion when her pregnancy was nonviable. And she ran advertisements on reproductive health care, like contraception and in vitro fertilization, being threatened in the state, after an Alabama Supreme Court ruling that equated frozen embryos to children and led major IVF providers in the state to pause fertility treatments. 

On 3/26/2024 at 10:11 AM, The Frankish Reich said:

Sen Josh Hawley's wife is arguing for the Mifepristone ban - I wasn't aware of that until now.

She's doing ok with a really difficult argument, but overall pretty unpersuasive.

I wasn't able to follow it too closely, but from what I can tell, the argument for standing is extremely weak. Do you think they even reach the merits in the final decision or will it be dismissed for lack of proper standing?

18 hours ago, ChiGoose said:

I wasn't able to follow it too closely, but from what I can tell, the argument for standing is extremely weak. Do you think they even reach the merits in the final decision or will it be dismissed for lack of proper standing?

I see it being kicked on the standing issue. That's the one issue where you'll get some conservative justices (Gorsuch, Roberts) joining the liberals.

It really is an astonishingly weak theory on that front: a woman may take the drug, experience complications that require her to go to an ER, and then be treated by a doctor who objects to performing anything relating to an abortion.

Courts ruled it's not federal.  States are acting. We will end up like the EU with different laws in different states. 

They will probably strike down the medical abortion pill mail order ban .  Even though it can have severe complications if taken after certain stages of development. 

Edited by Tommy Callahan

9 minutes ago, Tommy Callahan said:

Courts ruled it's not federal.  States are acting. We will end up like the EU with different laws in different states. 

They will probably strike down the medical abortion pill mail order ban .  Even though it can have severe complications if taken after certain stages of development. 

Yup, and Dems are now winning on this issue in deeply red states.

Nice job!

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

Yup, and Dems are now winning on this issue in deeply red states.

Nice job!

I have to agree here, the liberal side is winning the battle in the march to abortion on demand.   

On the other hand, the history of our country tells us sometimes, the majority represents carnage, injustice and apathy to innocents and the unprotected class.  

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I have to agree here, the liberal side is winning the battle in the march to abortion on demand.   

On the other hand, the history of our country tells us sometimes, the majority represents carnage, injustice and apathy to innocents and the unprotected class.  

Yup, the rural south, Conservatives in general, have tried their hardest to be cruel and unjust to classes of people. Here they are dealing with the backlash by their intended victims, young women 

• Eyeroll 1

11 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Yup, the rural south, Conservatives in general, have tried their hardest to be cruel and unjust to classes of people. Here they are dealing with the backlash by their intended victims, young women 

You can parse it however you want, Tibs, and I would agree with you if the thought process is a person should never be allowed to terminate a pregnancy, ever.  While I understand that thought process from a spiritual or 'life begins at conception' perspective I can't recall ever thinking that made sense societally.  On the flip side, I never would have assumed abortion to birthing room would ever be a maninstream talking point. 

However, the current focus of the majority simply substitutes one victim for another, with the new victim denied the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.  let's be sure to remember, too, that the same deep south crowd you talk about--usually democrat for generations, certainly thought they were as right as you do now when it came to identifying victims and solutions.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

You can parse it however you want, Tibs, and I would agree with you if the thought process is a person should never be allowed to terminate a pregnancy, ever.  While I understand that thought process from a spiritual or 'life begins at conception' perspective I can't recall ever thinking that made sense societally.  On the flip side, I never would have assumed abortion to birthing room would ever be a maninstream talking point. 

However, the current focus of the majority simply substitutes one victim for another, with the new victim denied the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.  let's be sure to remember, too, that the same deep south crowd you talk about--usually democrat for generations, certainly thought they were as right as you do now when it came to identifying victims and solutions.  

The Democrats used to house the Conservatives, the Southern Democrats, not liberals. Then civil rights happened and Conservatives went over to the GOP.

The same people who love the zygotes and fetuses just happen to be the same people who fought tooth and nail against civil rights, health care for the people, including children, along with other social justice issues. Sounds very disingenuous. 

• Disagree 2

The Democrats used to house the Conservatives, the Southern Democrats, not liberals. Then civil rights happened and Conservatives went over to the GOP.

The same people who love the zygotes and fetuses just happen to be the same people who fought tooth and nail against civil rights, health care for the people, including children, along with other social justice issues. Sounds very disingenuous. 

Sure. The democrats weren't the democrats because you don't want those democrats to be democrats.  🤔   Shocking.

You jumped off topic and onto broad social justice topics pretty quickly here.  If you choose to believe that liberals and democrats should be shielded from blame for all manner of injustice(s) over the years, you're fooling only yourself.  Civil rights issues, health care, racism and all the rest crossed political spectrum--democrats, liberals, republicans, conservatives.   There's plenty of blame to go around, and certainly plenty of heroes who swam against the tide on both sides of the aisle. 

Bringing us back to the point, imo pro-choice is an important part of the dialogue, but at some point, with some exceptions, the life of the child should take precedence.  It's the height of disingenuousness to suggest you're in support of a person's right to choose, when in fact, you're in favor of a person's right to terminate the life of a child you suggest you might actually care about a month, week or day later.  

• Thank you (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Tiberius said:

No, just the GOP and their war on women are *******

Good

Not allowing women to abort babies isn't a "war on women."  Even my Dem colleague acknowledged it's about the life of the baby.

An actual "war on women" is allowing biological males to displace biological females.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This woman has no shame.   None, whatsoever.

We know you know that ... heck, anyone who knows how Kamala Harris got her big break in politics knows that, but it's so infuriating to see posts she (or the underpaid, stupid intern posting for her) sends that are so obvious and blatantly false.

She's putting women's lives in danger for this crap talking point but we shouldn't be surprised because all she really cares about is votes and power.

This never happened.

Never. Ever.

And she knows it, which is why she used nameless, faceless women to make her claims.

Luckily, Twitter was having none of it.

You’re claiming the emergency doctors violated EMTALA? Repeatedly? Which hospital?

https://twitter.com/ArieFriedman/status/1773693739275354126?

• Thank you (+1) 2

On 3/28/2024 at 2:34 PM, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Sure. The democrats weren't the democrats because you don't want those democrats to be democrats.  🤔   Shocking.

You don't understand the voters changed parties? The Dems did civil rights and the Conservatives went over to the GOP, pretty simple to get, really 

You jumped off topic and onto broad social justice topics pretty quickly here.  If you choose to believe that liberals and democrats should be shielded from blame for all manner of injustice(s) over the years, you're fooling only yourself.  Civil rights issues, health care, racism and all the rest crossed political spectrum--democrats, liberals, republicans, conservatives.   There's plenty of blame to go around, and certainly plenty of heroes who swam against the tide on both sides of the aisle. 

Well, Conservative Democrats were in charge of Jim Crow, KKK and the rest, so hope you are blaming liberals for that is beyond me 

• Disagree 1

Bringing us back to the point, imo pro-choice is an important part of the dialogue, but at some point, with some exceptions, the life of the child should take precedence.  It's the height of disingenuousness to suggest you're in support of a person's right to choose, when in fact, you're in favor of a person's right to terminate the life of a child you suggest you might actually care about a month, week or day later.  

Sure, at some point. But what's strange is that once the child is born, Conservatives want a hands off approach, to things like health care, welfare and women's rights and and such. It's almost as if they really don't care and just want a way to trouble, burden and make life difficult for young women

33 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Sure, at some point. But what's strange is that once the child is born, Conservatives want a hands off approach, to things like health care, welfare and women's rights and and such. It's almost as if they really don't care and just want a way to trouble, burden and make life difficult for young women

So? How does this change the point that, at some point, the child taking precedence, should occur?

This is hogwash.  Conservatives don't want a "hands off approach" to children once they're born.  That's liberals.  And once the child is born, adoption is an option.

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Doc said:

This is hogwash.  Conservatives don't want a "hands off approach" to children once they're born.  That's liberals.  And once the child is born, adoption is an option.

Oh stop, no one would have health insurance, children included, if the GOP had their way 

• Eyeroll 1

9 hours ago, Tiberius said:

You don't understand the voters changed parties? The Dems did civil rights and the Conservatives went over to the GOP, pretty simple to get, really 

Well, Conservative Democrats were in charge of Jim Crow, KKK and the rest, so hope you are blaming liberals for that is beyond me 

Ah, you’re referring to the southern Rapture, when everything was one way then suddenly it became something else.  The phrase “pretty simple” definitely applies to your analysis!  

• Agree 3

9 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Good for you, Tibs, to acknowledge at some point, you become pro-life.  What point in a normal, healthy pregnancy is that for you?   What would you think is a reasonable point for our society to transition from the right of a person to terminate a pregnancy, to concern for the life of the child?  Let’s assume carve outs exist for reasons such as sexual assault, etc. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/31/2024 at 10:47 PM, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Ah, you’re referring to the southern Rapture, when everything was one way then suddenly it became something else.  The phrase “pretty simple” definitely applies to your analysis!  

Explains better than you saying Liberals had a hand in Jim Crow. Nope, Conservative racists drove that 

On 3/31/2024 at 11:09 PM, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Good for you, Tibs, to acknowledge at some point, you become pro-life.  What point in a normal, healthy pregnancy is that for you?   What would you think is a reasonable point for our society to transition from the right of a person to terminate a pregnancy, to concern for the life of the child?  Let’s assume carve outs exist for reasons such as sexual assault, etc. 

I'll let women and medical people decide that, so should you 

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Explains better than you saying Liberals had a hand in Jim Crow. Nope, Conservative racists drove that 

I'll let women and medical people decide that, so should you 

Decide what, exactly, Tibs?    You suggested that at some point, the right to choose gives way to the right to life.  Those were your words.  Now, it seems you're willing to cede control of what you think, and why you think it? Seems you thought something then, but suddenly are weak in the knees about it?  

I have no interest in surrendering my opinion or vote because someone else thought they knew better, nor would I ever suggest my wife or daughter do that.  You're free to submit to those you feel known better than you, but you lack the standing to ask others to follow your descent into subjugation.  

• Like (+1) 2

TALLAHASSEE — The landmark Florida Supreme Court decisions to allow a six-week ban on abortion to take effect in a month but also let voters decide whether to guarantee access to abortion have given Democrats a sliver of hope that the state could be winnable this presidential election year.

Good PupilsUnruled Index Cards, 5 X 8, White, 100/Pack - OXF50

Ad

Democrats see a path forward they haven’t seen in years, bolstered by the strategy of attacking former President Donald Trump on abortion.

They anticipate party members will come out in record numbers to vote to overturn the six-week ban and make abortion legal for up to 24 weeks. And leaders believe they also will come out to vote on an amendment to allow adults to buy and smoke recreational marijuana.

And there’s the added attraction of Trump on the ticket again.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/ar-BB1l41Zu

• Eyeroll 1

Now Arizona Supreme Court basically outlaws abortion. They want to jail abortion doctors

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2024/04/09/arizona-abortion-supreme-court-ruling/

The legal upheaval comes as reproductive rights advocates push for a November ballot measure that would protect access to abortion in the Arizona state constitution. Campaigners have already gathered more than enough signatures to qualify, according to the Arizona Republic.

“Physicians are now on notice that all abortions, except those necessary to save a woman’s life, are illegal …” the justices wrote in their opinion, “and that additional criminal and regulatory sanctions may apply to abortions performed after fifteen weeks’ gestation.”

1864 law! What a joke . MAGA clowns can't even run the House of Reps and they want to tell women what to do with their bodies.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/rcna146915

Attorney General Kris Mayes, a Democrat, said moments after the ruling that she would not enforce the law.

“Let me be completely clear, as long as I am Attorney General, no woman or doctor will be prosecuted under this draconian law in this state,” Mayes said in a statement, adding that the decision was “unconscionable” and “an affront to freedom.”

Democrats all the way up to President Joe Biden also blasted the ruling.

“Millions of Arizonans will soon live under an even more extreme and dangerous abortion ban, which fails to protect women even when their health is at risk or in tragic cases of rape or *****,” Biden said in a statement. He called the ban “cruel” and “a result of the extreme agenda of Republican elected officials who are committed to ripping away women’s freedom” and vowed to “continue to fight to protect reproductive rights.”

Vice President Kamala Harris announced shortly after the ruling that she would travel to Arizona on Friday “to continue her leadership in the fight for reproductive freedoms."

Responding to questions from NBC News about the Arizona ruling, a spokesperson for Donald Trump's campaign referred only to the former president's comments on Monday that abortion restrictions should be left to states.

“President Trump could not have been more clear. These are decisions for people of each state to make," Trump campaign national press secretary Karoline Leavitt said.

21 hours ago, Tiberius said:

“Let me be completely clear, as long as I am Attorney General, no woman or doctor will be prosecuted under this draconian law in this state,”

I appreciate her sentiment. But unless Arizona is (otherwise) very weird, it really wouldn't be up to her. A local DA in some extremely red county absolutely could prosecute someone - a woman, doctor, or "accessory" - under this statute, and there's really nothing the State AG could do about it.

So I don't know if it's productive for her to be saying, "don't worry, I've got your back." Once the AZ Supreme Court stay is lifted, it's every DA for him/herself in prosecuting women under what is now considered a valid statute. California women: think twice before you leave LA for that lower cost of living in Arizona ...

https://kjzz.org/content/1876667/kris-mayes-says-arizona-attorney-generals-office-working-plan-fight-abortion-ban

Someone who knows Arizona law agrees with me. Prosecutorial discretion resides with individual DAs and not with the AG. So the AG's pronouncement is cold comfort for Arizona women.

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Oh, he didn’t?

Who opened the door for this to happen?

image.thumb.jpeg.ea24e4ccdb00b918f45f59309530eb6b.jpeg

The Jackson Women's Health Organization.  You think they regret their decision now?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Doc said:

The Jackson Women's Health Organization

tried to look up the donors to that PAC. they don't even have a web page anymore.  good luck finding anything on google.

Cant have the mob knowing DEM mega donors got row killed over a 15 week limit.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Tommy Callahan said:

tried to look up the donors to that PAC. they don't even have a web page anymore.  good luck finding anything on google.

Cant have the mob knowing DEM mega donors got row killed over a 15 week limit.

Talk about not appreciating 2nd and 3rd order consequences...

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Talk about not appreciating 2nd and 3rd order consequences...

Yeah who would have thought that the supposed most honest, trustworthy justices in the land would lie during their interview for the job.  I'm sure trump is really regretting his selections.  

2 hours ago, Doc said:

The Jackson Women's Health Organization.  You think they regret their decision now?

Mr. Plessy no doubt regretted his decision to fight that whole "separate but equal" thing. He really should have waited a hundred years or so when the composition of the Court was favorable to him.

https://www.oyez.org/cases/1850-1900/163us537

Hell, for that matter, that foolish Dred Scott probably regrets not just returning to his slave master. He could've prevented the Civil War. Maybe even for another decade or so.