I went to Canada for beer again, and this time it was FAR different!

Draconator

16 hours ago, The Dean said:

But no beer is dirt cheap in Canada.

Depends on where you go. When I go for Alexander Keiths, I always go to the Duty Free, and my case is $20 US. Most Canadian beers at the Duty Free are around the same price, $20 to $30 US for a case. And yes I put the Fort Erie Duty Free address as my quarantine place on the ArriveCAN app. 

1 hour ago, Draconator said:

Depends on where you go. When I go for Alexander Keiths, I always go to the Duty Free, and my case is $20 US. Most Canadian beers at the Duty Free are around the same price, $20 to $30 US for a case. And yes I put the Fort Erie Duty Free address as my quarantine place on the ArriveCAN app. 

Yes, Duty Free can be much more reasonable. I still wouldn't want to pay $20-$30 for Steel Reserve.

• Agree 1

I just now had the Wellington Raked Over, which is Mango, Pineapple, and Habanero. 

It is "weird" to have your lips tingling like you would from having hot wings, but the beer itself is not bad at all. Is it spicy? Yes. A spicy beer, but it's spicy in a very pleasant and tasteful way. Something I would drink again in a heartbeat. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Draconator said:

You won't find Steel Reserve at the Duty Free.

Beers and Coolers at the Fort Erie Duty Free

This is a reference to the beers that were discontinued, which I was surprised that were sold in Canada. That's all. 

20 hours ago, The Dean said:

Looking at the list of discontinued beers, it's hard for me to believe any of those were being sold in Canada. Steel Reserve?  Old English?  I understand why one might buy them here, as they are dirt cheap and are higher in alcohol. But no beer is dirt cheap in Canada.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Draconator said:

209471886_ScreenShot2022-07-22at4_40_12PM.png.8f8f0ba76d95e4a19aa6c3089eba4c92.png

Went to Canada on lunch. Have to get ready for my next band rehearsal. 

is this one of those bands which use non-musical instruments as instruments?

I saw a band which the xylophone was different beer cans with bunches of different beers.

Just now, Limeaid said:

is this one of those bands which use non-musical instruments as instruments?

I saw a band which the xylophone was different beer cans with bunches of different beers.

I bet Geddy could play a non-instrument, instrument flawlessly. 

On 7/13/2022 at 11:51 AM, Draconator said:

I have a good friend who is in the beverage industry in Ontario. When he heard about my dislike for Rush Golden Ale, he reached out to the rep for the brewer, Henderson Brewing. 

The rep admitted that the very first batch of Rush Golden Ale was flawed and should have never been released. I got the first batch. The rep felt bad that I had the first batch, so she gave my friend Stan (Who is the rep for Wellington Brewery) a 6 pack of the revised Rush Golden Ale and a 6 pack of other Henderson Brews. And of course Stan gives me a nice assortment of Welly Beers. 

But I went for the revised Rush beer. Just cracked open one, and damn! Is it ever smooth and extremely pleasant to drink! It is a mighty fine beer after all!!!

I’ll report back on the weekend when I have the Welly “Raked Over” IPA with Mango, Pineapple, and Habanero! 

I must have got the newer batch of the Rush Ale. Both of mine were excellent. 

Edited by DRsGhost
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 7/13/2022 at 11:51 AM, Draconator said:

I have a good friend who is in the beverage industry in Ontario. When he heard about my dislike for Rush Golden Ale, he reached out to the rep for the brewer, Henderson Brewing. 

The rep admitted that the very first batch of Rush Golden Ale was flawed and should have never been released. I got the first batch. The rep felt bad that I had the first batch, so she gave my friend Stan (Who is the rep for Wellington Brewery) a 6 pack of the revised Rush Golden Ale and a 6 pack of other Henderson Brews. And of course Stan gives me a nice assortment of Welly Beers. 

But I went for the revised Rush beer. Just cracked open one, and damn! Is it ever smooth and extremely pleasant to drink! It is a mighty fine beer after all!!!

I’ll report back on the weekend when I have the Welly “Raked Over” IPA with Mango, Pineapple, and Habanero! 

I’m just waiting until this ends differently. “I went, and they wouldn’t let me back! Something about a petition from TBD!”    

:)

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Augie said:

I’m just waiting until this ends differently. “I went, and they wouldn’t let me back! Something about a petition from TBD!”    

:)

So YOU'RE the guy who gave me the at home Covid test at the border in March! (Was supposed to stay in Canada for 8 days, or until I got the test results back, went home to the US. 10 phone calls and 8 emails later, was told to change my quarantine address to my US home address and throw the test out.)

• 1 month later...

MAJOR UPDATE!!! 

The border restrictions for going into Canada appear to be ending on Sept 30th. Meaning no more ArriveCAN app, free and easy border crossing (sans traffic, of course) pre-Covid will return! 

@GugnyI can still get you that 6 pack of Rush Golden Ale. We can meet up Saturday before the game. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Draconator said:

MAJOR UPDATE!!! 

The border restrictions for going into Canada appear to be ending on Sept 30th. Meaning no more ArriveCAN app, free and easy border crossing (sans traffic, of course) pre-Covid will return! 

@GugnyI can still get you that 6 pack of Rush Golden Ale. We can meet up Saturday before the game. 

Would LOVE a 6-pack, thank you!  I'm only going to the Steelers game.  If you're going to that game, will you be tailgating at Hammer's Lot?

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Would LOVE a 6-pack, thank you!  I'm only going to the Steelers game.  If you're going to that game, will you be tailgating at Hammer's Lot?

Not going to the game. Stepdaughter is getting married around the beginning of the 4th quarter. 

2 hours ago, Draconator said:

MAJOR UPDATE!!! 

I guess that the Federal government doesn't give a damn about the Blue Jays and potentially maintaining their unfair home field advantage if they actually sneak into the playoffs.

• 1 month later...

I went up again last night, meeting my Wellington Brewery friend. Before hand, I stopped at the LCBO and picked up the Signals limited edition beer. 

What I'm appreciating about all the Rush beers, from the regular Golden Ale to all the limited edition beers, is that they're not just making one or two slight changes, slapping a different label on a bottle and calling it a limited edition. Each release of beer is uniquely different from the other, and the Signals limited edition falls in line with that. They say on the label that a whole apple and hibiscus is in each bottle. What I had has a very strong orange citrus taste. I thought of myself sitting on a Caribbean Beach while drinking this. Really spectacular! 

9 minutes ago, Draconator said:

I went up again last night, meeting my Wellington Brewery friend. Before hand, I stopped at the LCBO and picked up the Signals limited edition beer. 

What I'm appreciating about all the Rush beers, from the regular Golden Ale to all the limited edition beers, is that they're not just making one or two slight changes, slapping a different label on a bottle and calling it a limited edition. Each release of beer is uniquely different from the other, and the Signals limited edition falls in line with that. They say on the label that a whole apple and hibiscus is in each bottle. What I had has a very strong orange citrus taste. I thought of myself sitting on a Caribbean Beach while drinking this. Really spectacular! 

Is this really beer though? Sounds great if you like it but it just strikes me as something else... with some beer added.

• 3 months later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.