Former Bills draft pick and 49ers DB Jimmy Williams passed away at 43

Big Turk

• Big Turk changed the title to Former Bills draft pick and 49ers DB Jimmy Williams passed away at 43

I'm also 43 for a few more weeks. Admittedly, sometimes I have to fight the reflexive, cynical, narcissistic urge to dig for clues to what the deceased might have done to accelerate his demise. Like each early passing is some kind of cautionary tail for me to learn from and avoid, rather than a real life tragedy for everyone involved. It's the "Just-World Fallacy/Hypothesis"...we tend to blame other people for what happens to them. Helps us feel better/more in-control. But it's wrong-minded. 

Our instant access to so much news means we learn about more deaths than we used to, so anyone who dies who had any connection to us or our interests is brought to our attention. It's a lot to manage in a world of increasing entropy and decreasing empathy. I'm sorry for his family and friends. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/9/2022 at 1:26 AM, Richard Noggin said:

I'm also 43 for a few more weeks. Admittedly, sometimes I have to fight the reflexive, cynical, narcissistic urge to dig for clues to what the deceased might have done to accelerate his demise. Like each early passing is some kind of cautionary tail for me to learn from and avoid, rather than a real life tragedy for everyone involved. It's the "Just-World Fallacy/Hypothesis"...we tend to blame other people for what happens to them. Helps us feel better/more in-control. But it's wrong-minded. 

Our instant access to so much news means we learn about more deaths than we used to, so anyone who dies who had any connection to us or our interests is brought to our attention. It's a lot to manage in a world of increasing entropy and decreasing empathy. I'm sorry for his family and friends. 

Give it another ten years. Everything will be freaking you out. Every little ache or pain and I'm convinced is the on-set of something fatal, though I am starting to learn it's just the process of getting older.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Beast said:

Give it another ten years. Everything will be freaking you out. Every little ache or pain and I'm convinced is the on-set of something fatal, though I am starting to learn it's just the process of getting older.

And then…give it another ten years after that! 😉

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BUFFALOBART said:

It frequently comes down to the Genetic deck of cards, that you've been dealt. - Even within an individual's immediate family. Ask me how I know.

How do you know, Bart?

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

It frequently comes down to the Genetic deck of cards, that you've been dealt. - Even within an individual's immediate family. Ask me how I know.

Yeah...you can do as much as possible to reduce your risks for many things, but at the end of the day you can only reduce it but so much.

If you are predisposed to heart issues, you might be able to reduce it from a 50% chance to a 25% chance but you'll still be at a higher risk relative to a person who has no predisposition to them.

40 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

In 1987, my oldest brother died suddenly of a massive heart attack at the age of 40. There was no warning, and he didn't make the two mile trip to the hospital, alive. An autopsy was required, because he was so young. The report said that he had 'grossly calcified coronary arteries'. He was not an abuser, or even a user of anything besides beer.

Being seven years his junior, I made an appointment with a Cardiologist, to see what was going on with my internals. As it turned out, I do not have any of the issues, (I do have well managed, high cholesterol) that abruptly ended my Brother's life. I still see a Cardiologist once a year, and I do stress testing, every few years. I continue to beat out all of the testing baselines, by a considerable margin. I was fortunate with the hand that I was dealt. My Brother, unfortunately, was not. He was not the type of guy, who would run to the Doctor, when he was ill, and that is a shame. I say to everyone that I know: "Get yourself checked out". Surprises when it comes to health matters, can be life changing, or even fatal.

I'm sorry to hear about your brother.

About 12-13 years ago (I was just under 40), after days of having an excruciating headache (I never get headaches), I went to the doctor, thinking it may have been a sinus infection or something.

Turns out, my BP was 225/135 or something close to that.

The doctor began checking for signs of stroke and immediately sent me to the pharmacy to get a pill to crash my BP.  Then set me up for all sorts of tests at the hospital.  I've been on BP medicine ever since and have also been going to the doctor for regular checkups/bloodwork.

It is very likely I would have died had I not gone to the doctor that day.

Scary stuff.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

In 1987, my oldest brother died suddenly of a massive heart attack at the age of 40. There was no warning, and he didn't make the two mile trip to the hospital, alive. An autopsy was required, because he was so young. The report said that he had 'grossly calcified coronary arteries'. He was not an abuser, or even a user of anything besides beer.

Being seven years his junior, I made an appointment with a Cardiologist, to see what was going on with my internals. As it turned out, I do not have any of the issues, (I do have well managed, high cholesterol) that abruptly ended my Brother's life. I still see a Cardiologist once a year, and I do stress testing, every few years. I continue to beat out all of the testing baselines, by a considerable margin. I was fortunate with the hand that I was dealt. My Brother, unfortunately, was not. He was not the type of guy, who would run to the Doctor, when he was ill, and that is a shame. I say to everyone that I know: "Get yourself checked out". Surprises when it comes to health matters, can be life changing, or even fatal.

Yeah it's scary because the medical community have largely created the problem your brother died from due to their misunderstanding of osteoporosis.

Calcium started being added to tons of food and drink items and when it was learned that lack of calcium is NOT the cause of osteoporosis, they never reversed course and stopped it. 

So basically, people are getting 5-6x the amount of calcium they should be getting from an early age, which is why atherosclerosis (arterial calcification) is the #1 reason of the #1 killer in the US(heart attacks).

Decalcification is one of the most important things a person could do for their health through a combination of D3, Magnesium and K2, each of which is vital to dealing with calcium in the body. D3 liquifies it into the bloodstream and allows it to be transported. Magnesium is required for the magnesium-calcium ion pump that exchanges calcium for magnesium in the soft tissue. K2 is exceptionally important as it activates at least 18 calcium binding proteins that transport calcium from places where it shouldn't be such as soft tissue and arteries to where it should be such as bone. The heart actually has a protein called Matrix GLA Protein (MGP) which actively inhibits and removes calcium from the arterial walls when it is activated(which, like all other calcium binding proteins, is activated by K2).

It is a shame this isn't more well known and people end up paying the consequences of our medical associations failings in acknowledging their failures both in preventing osteoporosis and greatly contributing to atherosclerosis.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BUFFALOBART said:

That is very interesting, as I had a very low Vitamin D blood level, (19ng/mL) and didn't realize that "D" acts as a calcium 'solvent', in conjunction, with Magnesium,and 'K'. I take 10,000 iu of Vitamin D, during the winter months, and less, around this time of the year. My "D" levels were in the mid 30's, the last time that I had the blood test..

Not K...K2.

K is a totally different vitamin that deals with blood clotting.

K2 usually comes from fermented foods like natto, sauerkraut, and animal meat/fat that when they have been eating grass and are exposed to sunshine (which is why our diets are so deficient in this now...most animals we consume never see the light of day). Humans always think they can shortcut nature but typically they do so at their own peril because they don't fully understand how things work in harmony with each other...animals eat grass, then convert the chlorophyll into K2 with the help of sunshine. No grass, no sunshine, no K2. This was actually found by a dentist in the 1930s Dr. Weston Price from Cleveland who was determined to find out why people he treated from foreign countries had far better teeth than his usual patients who live in the US. Travelled all over the world, focusing on indiginous peoples and saw that many places had people with perfect teeth that never brushed or flossed and called the nutrient that is now known as Vitamin K2, Activator-X.

https://radiantlifecatalog.com/blog/bid/59999/The-Mystery-of-X-Factor-Butter-Oil-and-Vitamin-K2-Solved

Yeah, pretty much everyone who lives north of a line that runs from DC to Saint Louis is going to be deficient in vitamin D if they don't supplement...especially in the winter time. It's a huge problem.

So...your levels are in the mid 30s after taking D3? That still is really low...barely sufficient. With these tests that have "normal levels" with such wide ranges, being near the bottom of normal is still not ideal. Optimum levels would be in the 60s or 70s. One other thing the medical community largely doesn't get...

There is a large difference between having a test showing "normal" levels of soemthing versus having optimal levels.

Edited by Big Turk

3 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

I don't absorb "D" very well. I haven't been tested in a while, but I ramped up to 10000IU last year.

I'm going to look up 'K2'...

The recommended daily dose of D3 from the AMA and FDA will leave most people either insufficient or barely sufficient especially in the winter time or if you use sunscreen a lot in the summer or don't go outside a lot.

I take 10000 IUs all year round and my numbers are in the 60s usually, which some will claim could go even higher into the 70s or 80s to be considered optimal but I prefer to stay in the more conservative optimal range.

K2 and D3 work exceptionally well together as does Magnesium(especially Magnesium Oil which absorbs transdermally). In addition to needing it for calcium related functions, the body uses Magnesium as a catalyst for over 500 enzyme functions so it's extremely important to not be deficient in this. It also plays a large role in heart health as well.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.