Roe vs Wade Overturned

On 7/11/2022 at 6:30 PM, T&C said:

Looks like the 10 year old's rape and pregnancy is a farce... there is no record of anything anywhere, at all. No report, no investigation... nothing.

Womp womp.

A Columbus man has been charged with impregnating a 10-year-old Ohio girl, whose travel to Indiana to seek an abortion led to international attention  following the Supreme Court's decision to overturn Roe v Wade and activation of Ohio's abortion law.

Gershon Fuentes, 27, whose last known address was an apartment on Columbus' Northwest Side, was arrested Tuesday after police say he confessed to raping the child on at least two occasions. He's since been charged with rape, a felony of the first degree in Ohio.

Columbus police were made aware of the girl's pregnancy through a referral by Franklin County Children Services that was made by her mother on June 22, Det. Jeffrey Huhn testified Wednesday morning at Fuentes' arraignment. On June 30, the girl underwent a medical abortion in Indianapolis, Huhn said.

20 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

You thought we were going to change a half century old ruling with zero transitional issues? How freaking naive are you? 
TRUST THE PROCESS!!

No, I thought throwing away 50 years of law without keeping any guardrails would lead to a ton of problems that would harm a lot of people.

Seems pretty spot on prediction, honestly.

12 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Where is Q when you need them? 

So the 10 year old was taken out of the state of Ohio when the procedure was perfectly legal IN the state of Ohio. Seems a little fishy to me.

2 hours ago, ChiGoose said:

No, I thought throwing away 50 years of law without keeping any guardrails would lead to a ton of problems that would harm a lot of people.

Seems pretty spot on prediction, honestly.

Which is exactly why the legislative branch needs to get to work and LEGISLATE! 

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Which is exactly why the legislative branch needs to get to work and LEGISLATE! 

Something I've noticed lately with a lot of conservative proposals is that they are often based in common sense terms but do not adequately apply the proposed solutions to the nitty gritty real life details.

Solutions like "the legislative branch should just legislate" ignores that, at the federal level, our legislature is hopelessly broken and unable to respond to the needs and wants of the American public. At the state level, legislatures vary wildly in both competence and willingness to actually address this situation (or make it worse).

People like me who were worried about Roe being overturned were concerned that our legislative bodies would be unable or unwilling to properly address this in a way that protects people. Thankfully for my family, we live in Illinois with a governor who cares and a legislature that was smart enough to anticipate this and enact protections before the Dobbs decision. But tens of millions of Americans are not so lucky, and many states seem to be pushing laws that will make things even more difficult for people to get adequate healthcare and even proposing to eliminate exceptions for rape or *****.

Another side of this is completely ignoring the confusion that even a well-crafted law can create. Law is complex, medicine is even more so. Laws about medicine that leave gray areas are already causing confusion about what doctors might or might not be liable for. Even if the law allows for the use of something like methotrexate for rheumatoid arthritis, the bounty aspect of some of these laws mean that a doctor who proscribed it might end up being sued for suspicion of facilitating an abortion and have to take the time, effort, and money to defend themselves.

So now we are in a situation where many doctors are not sure if they can treat their patients, or if they can, worrying they might get sued anyway. Women across the country are not sure they'll be able to get needed treatment, or may have to spends hundreds or thousand of dollars to travel to get it. And the solution being offered is simply "well, let's hope that the legislatures who we deride as corrupt and incompetent on a regular basis really step up to the plate and solve all of this for us."

It's just not a convincing argument unless you ignore the reality of the situation.

46 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

Something I've noticed lately with a lot of conservative proposals is that they are often based in common sense terms but do not adequately apply the proposed solutions to the nitty gritty real life details.

Solutions like "the legislative branch should just legislate" ignores that, at the federal level, our legislature is hopelessly broken and unable to respond to the needs and wants of the American public. At the state level, legislatures vary wildly in both competence and willingness to actually address this situation (or make it worse).

People like me who were worried about Roe being overturned were concerned that our legislative bodies would be unable or unwilling to properly address this in a way that protects people. Thankfully for my family, we live in Illinois with a governor who cares and a legislature that was smart enough to anticipate this and enact protections before the Dobbs decision. But tens of millions of Americans are not so lucky, and many states seem to be pushing laws that will make things even more difficult for people to get adequate healthcare and even proposing to eliminate exceptions for rape or *****.

Another side of this is completely ignoring the confusion that even a well-crafted law can create. Law is complex, medicine is even more so. Laws about medicine that leave gray areas are already causing confusion about what doctors might or might not be liable for. Even if the law allows for the use of something like methotrexate for rheumatoid arthritis, the bounty aspect of some of these laws mean that a doctor who proscribed it might end up being sued for suspicion of facilitating an abortion and have to take the time, effort, and money to defend themselves.

So now we are in a situation where many doctors are not sure if they can treat their patients, or if they can, worrying they might get sued anyway. Women across the country are not sure they'll be able to get needed treatment, or may have to spends hundreds or thousand of dollars to travel to get it. And the solution being offered is simply "well, let's hope that the legislatures who we deride as corrupt and incompetent on a regular basis really step up to the plate and solve all of this for us."

It's just not a convincing argument unless you ignore the reality of the situation.

I don't disagree with you....but the Supreme Court is not there to do the work that the Legislative Branch is unwilling to do.  That is not their function. This entire case boils down to the Court reminding the country of that very fact.  Is it pretty? No it is not! But neither is the inconvenient truth that over the last fifty years, literally thousands upon thousands of lives have been prematurely snuffed out.  I will still trust the process (maybe I'm an optimist) knowing that once laws are adopted that people's behavior will begin to change. Just like it did over the last fifty years.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

There are also people who advocate for abortion after the baby is born. So there are some insane people on both sides here. 

What lawmaker, elected official or party leader is advocating for post-birth abortions? Is there proposed legislation on this?

I don't doubt there are some nuts out there that want something like this, but I am skeptical that is a belief with enough support to be put into law.