Alternative Clean Energy Implementation & What They Don't Tell Us .

34 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Note to everyone: The clean energy movement is indeed a noble one. But switching everything to electric power gets you nowhere if you have no way of producing mass quantities of electricity. Solve that first, before moving on to the next problem. 

Idealism  vs realism

8 hours ago, T master said:

Of course it is tragically incorrect to you your sticking up for a imbecile you voted for & that couldn't run a successful hot dog stand let alone a country ! 

You are 1 of the 32 or so percent that think he is doing a good job hell even his own party doesn't think he's doing right by the country & i heard one is calling for his impeachment over his great border moves since being in office ...

Right, you're incapable of discussing anything at an adult level because I'm a Biden apologist.  Lets entertain that idea.  Were that true, then why were you still an idiot during the Trump admin, Clinton admin, and Ford admin?  

Go find a single post where I have had anything good to say about Biden.  I'll wait.  Meanwhile you geniuses can continue to blame Biden for rain on the weekend, the Yankees giving up leads in the stretch, or your wife leaving you.  

20 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Right, you're incapable of discussing anything at an adult level because I'm a Biden apologist.  Lets entertain that idea.  Were that true, then why were you still an idiot during the Trump admin, Clinton admin, and Ford admin?  

Go find a single post where I have had anything good to say about Biden.  I'll wait.  Meanwhile you geniuses can continue to blame Biden for rain on the weekend, the Yankees giving up leads in the stretch, or your wife leaving you.  

Wait…my wife left me? So who’s that really good looking lady in the other room? 😉 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Wow you assume a awful lot seeing as i've only been on here for maybe 4+ yrs to think i was a Clinton & Ford fan which i wasn't ! You must apparently be a highly educated book smart type of person seeing as in the past you have chose to berate my english skills which i will agree are not that great & frankly i don't really care but you apparently do and continually have nothing decent to say about much of anything .

And even though you say you never say anything sticking up for Biden you seem to defend his agenda and place the blame of things that happen because maybe not in total of his actions but because of his actions certainly help the situation be worse than what it was at one time in the not to recent past . 

I do know for your information that i wasn't a Clinton, Ford, or truly a Trump fan i only voted for Trump because Hillary was a much bigger POS (which you probably voted for her too) both as a person & a politician because her actions from her past proved it . 

How i came to the conclusion that you must be highly educated book smart type is there has never been one reply that you have posted to me that you haven't berated or been a wise ass or to talked down to me and tried to show your self to be a superior human being & more intelligent than my self & others .

Me i grew up a country boy had to learn my skills from the school of hard knox & have had to use common sense which in most of your reply's i can tell although you may have that ability you choose not to use it when looking at things such as the immediate application of what this num nuts running the country has in mind for us all .

And then i guess you being the much smarter person that you portray yourself to be is even smarter than a professor on the video i posted because even though he has done the research & explains why with common sense how hard the application will be plus the time it would take to implement you being the company man that you are say things like "Oh he's a right wing professor from a right wing paid for group" or WTF ever it was you said .

Meanwhile you being the self proclaimed mental giant that you seem to think you are you continue to berate those that you feel are below you such as me and continue to have the back of the dip ***** in charge & his agenda !

It also seems to me you believe what ever BS he spews to you because of the stance you take defending his moves and the out come of them not being his fault .

So when the sh*t hits the fan & you are sitting in your ivory unpaid for tower broke surrounded by all your books starving finally realizing WTH has this dip ***** has done .

I will be sitting in my back yard of my paid for house with my freezer full of venison & put some deer meat on a grill drinking a beer and my home made moon shine listening to all you jack asses crying & wondering how did i get here and where can i get food and drink ?

Then looking to those that are under your intelligence level the red necks & the farm boys such as myself to bail your ass out don't come looking to me even though i shouldn't be that way & know it's not the right way to be i will be that guy .

Do unto others as is done unto you . You don't show respect so you won't get any in return from me - so you will reap what you sew .

But being a christian which has admittedly back slid if for nothing else but just for the purpose of this thread i will continue to pray for your superior smart ass ... 

8 hours ago, ALF said:

Rush toward green energy has left US 'incredibly' vulnerable to summer blackouts, expert warns
Expert says renewable energy doesn't work and could lead to more blackouts

"I think the entire country is incredibly vulnerable, because the entire country is facing a huge energy shortage and I don’t think there is any place that is truly safe," Daniel Turner, founder and executive director at Power the Future, told Fox News. 

"The areas of the country I’d be most concerned about are the ones that already have inherent weaknesses," Turner said. "Texas, California, New Mexico, New York, all of New England. These are areas whose policies and political decisions have weakened their electric grid."

Critics have blamed the potential shortages on Illinois Gov. Jay Pritzker’s vow to move the state to 100% renewable energy by 2045, which has caused investment in traditional sources of energy generation to plummet.

"They will choose what neighborhoods go into darkness," Turner said. "Historically, when we have done this, we have chosen poor and usually minority neighborhoods to do that."

Previously planned power outages in states such as California have a history of disproportionately impacting poor neighborhoods, including one instance in 2019 where a poor, mostly Hispanic neighborhood in Sonoma County had its power cut for eight days in October. The deliberate outages not only plunged residents of the area into darkness for days, but the resulting food spoilage strained already tight budgets.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/rush-green-energy-has-left-us-incredibly-vulnerable-summer-blackouts-expert-warns

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/ca-air-regulators-criticism-carbon-neutrality-plan

Well, there you found a really "fair and balanced" source of information. Daniel Turner worked for the Koch brothers and several Republican campaigns. He appeared not only on Fox News, but also on such pillars of unbiased reporting as OAN and NewsMax. "Power the Future" claims "We are the voice of energy workers advocating for their jobs and communities, and pushing back on the radical environmental movement which uses their vast power and resources to advance their agenda."

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, DrW said:

Well, there you found a really "fair and balanced" source of information. Daniel Turner worked for the Koch brothers and several Republican campaigns. He appeared not only on Fox News, but also on such pillars of unbiased reporting as OAN and NewsMax. "Power the Future" claims "We are the voice of energy workers advocating for their jobs and communities, and pushing back on the radical environmental movement which uses their vast power and resources to advance their agenda."

Give us your side to be fair and balanced , I would be interested .

3 hours ago, ALF said:

Give us your side to be fair and balanced , I would be interested .

Here is what I posted earlier in this thread.

On 6/29/2022 at 6:43 PM, DrW said:

I agree that it is difficult to imagine to cover all the World's energy needs with renewables (well, at some point when we run out of fossil fuels and nuclear fission material, we might have to). But that does not mean that renewables cannot be a large part of our energy sources. In Germany, since 2018 more than 40% of the electricity has been provided by wind and solar. 

https://www.umweltbundesamt.de/en/topics/climate-energy/renewable-energies/renewable-energies-in-figures

To fully appreciate that, you have to consider that Germany has a much higher population density than the US (twice the number of people living in California in a country smaller than Montana), meaning less space for wind and solar farms, and is much more northern than the US, meaning less sunshine. And when I grew up in Germany, we never had steady strong winds as we have here in the West Texas desert.

• Thank you (+1) 2

6 hours ago, DrW said:

Here is what I posted earlier in this thread.

It just makes me mad that the world had to spend $trillions dealing with covid when that money was needed to convert to green energy. It's now a problem too big for me to comprehend . 

On 6/29/2022 at 7:21 PM, Warcodered said:

If I stick a "U" on the end of my name will my opinions automatically have more credibility, or do I have to actually legally change it or something?

PragerU, short for Prager University, is an American 501 nonprofit advocacy group. The organization was co-founded by Allen Estrin and talk show host and writer Dennis Prager in 2009 to create videos on various political, economic, and sociological topics that promote an American conservative viewpoint.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Climate change: 'Sand battery' could solve green energy's big problem

Using low-grade sand, the device is charged up with heat made from cheap electricity from solar or wind.

The sand stores the heat at around 500C, which can then warm homes in winter when energy is more expensive.

The toughest question is about intermittency - how do you keep the lights on when the sun doesn't shine and the wind doesn't blow?

The most obvious answer to these problems is large scale batteries which can store and balance energy demands as the grid becomes greener.

Right now, most batteries are made with lithium and are expensive with a large, physical footprint, and can only cope with a limited amount of excess power.

But in the town of Kankaanpää, a team of young Finnish engineers have completed the first commercial installation of a battery made from sand that they believe can solve the storage problem in a low-cost, low impact way.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-61996520

8 hours ago, ALF said:

Using low-grade sand, the device is charged up with heat made from cheap electricity from solar or wind.

The sand stores the heat at around 500C, which can then warm homes in winter when energy is more expensive.

The toughest question is about intermittency - how do you keep the lights on when the sun doesn't shine and the wind doesn't blow?

The most obvious answer to these problems is large scale batteries which can store and balance energy demands as the grid becomes greener.

Right now, most batteries are made with lithium and are expensive with a large, physical footprint, and can only cope with a limited amount of excess power.

But in the town of Kankaanpää, a team of young Finnish engineers have completed the first commercial installation of a battery made from sand that they believe can solve the storage problem in a low-cost, low impact way.

Man the Middle East always wins when it comes to energy 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 7/4/2022 at 1:00 PM, Jauronimo said:

The frustrating part is they're all the same.   If Fox says something they swallow it whole.   I also find when actual science comes into the conversation and it's not 100% accurate they jump on it to question all science on the topic in question.   Next come the conspiracy theories. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

The frustrating part is they're all the same.   If Fox says something they swallow it whole.   I also find when actual science comes into the conversation and it's not 100% accurate they jump on it to question all science on the topic in question.   Next come the conspiracy theories. 

All the same? You mean deplorable? Haven’t we been down that road? 😉

7 hours ago, ALF said:

I hope it amounts to something as battery advancements have been slow....

image.thumb.png.eed81926a625b00246bc53af32d3a1cb.png

5 minutes ago, Precision said:

You might want to look for a source that goes beyond 2010. It took me two minutes.

image.thumb.png.4d9b71581fadbb935f70f70442030d4d.png

15 minutes ago, Precision said:

4 minutes ago, DrW said:

You might want to look for a source that goes beyond 2010. It took me two minutes.

These do not align. Both are suspect.

and what’s the point? Gas makes energy, batteries only store it. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, DrW said:

Good for you, still pathetic.  What's in nearly all cars still?  Lead acid, same as 50 years ago.  Ever worked with batteries?  That's what I thought.

On 7/3/2022 at 3:15 PM, Precision said:

Quick few questions regarding the grid for everyone so intent on renewables. 

How many miles of transmission and distribution lines will need to be upgraded to accommodate the increased capacity for electric vehicles?  I'll give you a hint, it's in the millions of miles.

How much does it cost to upgrade transmission and distribution lines per mile (google the recent lines from Oneida County to Albany County for reference)?

Who is going to perform the upgrade (do some research regarding the current inability to maintain the grid due to the shortage of line workers)?

Where are we going to get the supplies required for such a buildout when basic wire has extremely long lead times due to supply chain issues?

If you can't answer or even understand these questions, then you have no concept of the difficulty in the transition to renewables.  Unlike renewable power generation, the grid expansion requires no new technologies.  It's the low hanging fruit in all of this and it will take tens of decades to complete if started now in earnest.  One last fact to ponder, today 70% of the grid is over 25 years old.

To address your first two questions: I would guess about $150 billion total over the next 10 years. Is that correct? And do you know what the ANNUAL military budget is? Something around $750-800 billion and rising, I believe. And don’t forget that the highest of the seven income brackets is at only 37%. And don’t forget MMT options, either, for those non-libertarians who properly understand that federal debt is not the same as personal household debt. Like I’ve said all along…the main problem is a lack of political willpower, not technology or cost.

Your third question: No, I don’t know anything about the status of U.S. transmission/distribution line workers. If there is a labor shortage, then that sounds like the impetus for a good old-fashioned public works project! Yay! Keynesian economic solutions FTW!

Your last question: No, I don’t know the supply chain status for transmission line materials. Are you referring to steel? Copper? Aluminum? There are actions the private market and/or government can take over the next 10+ years to smooth out material supply chain networks. I seriously doubt the situation is hopeless. I would also be remiss to not mention here that transmission/distribution line materials are an active area of research in nanotech and strongly correlated electron system physics. Inexpensive ceramic superconductors that operate in the 250-300 Kelvin range would be considered their holy grail, I suppose, albeit way too pie-in-the-sky for a timeline of three decades. In the meantime, materials scientists and engineers still have a fair amount of unexplored geometrical leeway for making practical power loss reductions in ohmic and dielectric heating.

Your last paragraph: you said that 70% of our electrical power grid is 25+ years old. So if the infrastructure is long overdue for an upgrade, might as well do it now and do it right this time (i.e. build it so that it is ready to accommodate a 21st century future replete with renewables).

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Delete_Account said:

To address your first two questions: I would guess about $150 billion total over the next 10 years. Is that correct? And do you know what the ANNUAL military budget is? Something around $750-800 billion and rising, I believe. And don’t forget that the highest of the seven income brackets is at only 37%. And don’t forget MMT options, either, for those non-libertarians who properly understand that federal debt is not the same as personal household debt. Like I’ve said all along…the main problem is a lack of political willpower, not technology or cost.

Your third question: No, I don’t know anything about the status of U.S. transmission/distribution line workers. If there is a labor shortage, then that sounds like the impetus for a good old-fashioned public works project! Yay! Keynesian economic solutions FTW!

Your last question: No, I don’t know the supply chain status for transmission line materials. Are you referring to steel? Copper? Aluminum? There are actions the private market and/or government can take over the next 10+ years to smooth out material supply chain networks. I seriously doubt the situation is hopeless. I would also be remiss to not mention here that transmission/distribution line materials are an active area of research in nanotech and strongly correlated electron system physics. Inexpensive ceramic superconductors that operate in the 250-300 Kelvin range would be considered their holy grail, I suppose, albeit way too pie-in-the-sky for a timeline of three decades. In the meantime, materials scientists and engineers still have a fair amount of unexplored geometrical leeway for making practical power loss reductions in ohmic and dielectric heating.

Your last paragraph: you said that 70% of our electrical power grid is 25+ years old. So if the infrastructure is long overdue for an upgrade, might as well do it now and do it right this time (i.e. build it so that it is ready to accommodate a 21st century future replete with renewables).

I agree but I also believe any government financial commitment requires an evaluation and change in current spending priorities to reallocate funds rather than some "blank check" program of increased borrowing and debt.  Many seem to think that along with natural resources, financial resources are also infinite.