Clarence Thomas IS conflicted

Is Clarence Thomas conflicted?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Is Clarence Thomas conflicted?

• Yes
    • No

• 4 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, daz28 said:

The SCOTUS is supposed to be the mature, sane adult in the political room.  

All judges are.  How many are conflicted on the other side?

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

All judges are.  How many are conflicted on the other side?

Choosing a political side instead of choosing what's right/just is the biggest problem this country has.  You seem to like throwing gas on that fire.  

6 minutes ago, daz28 said:

Choosing a political side instead of choosing what's right/just is the biggest problem this country has.  You seem to like throwing gas on that fire.  

And you think you aren't?

10 minutes ago, Doc said:

And you think you aren't?

Just because one side is worse than the other doesn't mean I'm choosing or taking their side.  My only option is to take the lesser evil. 

5 minutes ago, daz28 said:

Just because one side is worse than the other doesn't mean I'm choosing or taking their side.  My only option is to take the lesser evil. 

Same here.

• Agree 1

So, let’s tear this thing apart, shall we?

For starters, Ginni Thomas was not involved in Jan. 6. She was present at the rally but was not among those who went to the Capitol building afterward. She was not even named by congressional investigators as one of the individuals involved in the riot.

The effort to remove Trump from the ballot seeks to use a provision in the 14th Amendment that prohibits people who participated in a rebellion against the government from holding office. It was originally intended to apply to former members of the Confederacy.

Those seeking to use this provision against Trump argue that he fomented an insurrection against the government on Jan. 6, and that Ginni Thomas was somehow involved, which would mean that her husband should not be involved in adjudicating the case. However, if there is no evidence that Ginni was involved, their argument falls apart.

Next, we have the inconvenient reality that there was no actual “insurrection,” nor did Trump incite anyone to violence. At no point did he advocate for rioting or other type of violent activity in response to the outcome of the election. In fact, during his speech, he urged his supporters to protest “peacefully and patriotically” at the Capitol building. This is not exactly the language one would expect from someone trying to incite a riot, is it?

Lastly, those calling for Thomas’ recusal don’t actually believe the words coming out of their mouths and digital pens. Not a single one of these people had the same energy for Fulton County (Georgia) district attorney Fani Willis, who recently admitted to having a romantic affair with one of the prosecutors she hired to prosecute the former president for election interference.

But we know what this is all about, don’t we, dear reader? They don’t want Thomas to recuse himself because of his wife. They want him to recuse himself because they know he is more likely to vote against removing Trump from the ballot. Folks on the left see that this strategy might go up in smoke, and they are desperate to do something about it.

At the end of the day, the 14th Amendment stratagem isn’t about protecting the Constitution, it is about influencing the upcoming election--nothing more, nothing less.

https://redstate.com/jeffc/2024/02/07/dick-durbin-needs-to-shut-the-hell-up-about-clarence-thomas-and-the-14th-amendment-case-n2169799

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Who’s still paying for Cable or HBO Max and why?  

I do.  I hate paying for a millions streaming services which end up costing about the same.  And Oliver is an idiot with one of the most punchable faces ever.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/19/2024 at 8:18 AM, BillStime said:

The John Oliver clip is funny. 

But as is all too often the case, his 15 minutes of picking apart how corrupt and compromised Clarence Thomas really is does a far better job than the mainstream media accounts. It's just a staggering record of taking huge gifts from powerful people who are very interested (in a financial sense) in the rulings of the Supreme Court.

On 2/19/2024 at 6:55 PM, B-Man said:

At the bottom of it all.

The left hates conservative people of color

I'm going to guess John Oliver and many lefties were not paying attention during the high tech lynching of uppity blacks by Senators Biden and Kennedy (like he had any room to talk) and others.  I guess maybe I can somewhat understand John since he was in Junior High at the time.  I do remember cuz I watched or listened to most of it.  Supreme Court hearings were never like this til these 2 clowns got in charge.

But after Justice Thomas won, he testified to the committee that he was 42 years old and would serve as a Supreme Court Justice for 42 years.  He's still got 9 years to go so suck it up if you don't like him.  It's payback time and it's a B word.

I think Senators Biden and Kennedy and others attempted the high tech lynching of uppity blacks cuz he is black.  He replaced Justice Thurgood Marshall who was nominated by President Johnson.  Only Democrats should be able to put blacks on the Supreme Court so as to keep the black vote and to perpetuate the myth they aren't racists and do nice things for black people.  So they attempted to ruin him.  Nice try Uncle Joe.  You reap what you sow.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 2/20/2024 at 7:17 PM, Big Blitz said:

Who’s still paying for Cable or HBO Max and why?  

More bad hot legal takes from MAGA world. This time from a guy with a profile pic that looks like he's about 14 years old.

It is perfectly legal. It is no different than a law firm saying that Clarence Thomas will have a million dollar a year job as soon as he retires. That law firm would have to then avoid taking any cases before the Supreme Court until Thomas retires, just as John Oliver should hope he never personally has a case before the Supreme Court. But there's nothing illegal about it. It's not a bribe because there is no inducement to take any kind of official act. The money would be paid only when Thomas resigns.

8 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

More bad hot legal takes from MAGA world. This time from a guy with a profile pic that looks like he's about 14 years old.

It is perfectly legal. 

Nah bro.  

It definitely was a coup.  

The best coup.  

• Like (+1) 1

They just can't stop embarrassing themselves.  :w00t:

One of the big stories in the New York Times today is another Clarence Thomas smear, but with a twist:

“Justice Thomas Hires Law Clerk Accused of Sending Racist Text Messages.”

The story is about Crystal Clanton, who graduated from the Antonin Scalia Law School at George Mason University in 2022. She is coming off a clerkship with Judge William Pryor of the 11th Circuit, who calls her “an outstanding law clerk.” Justice Thomas has now hired her to clerk on the Supreme Court.

For the last seven years, Crystal Clanton has been dogged by reports of an email that she allegedly wrote, in which she supposedly said, “I hate black people.” The Times story admits that they have not seen any such message, and are relying on reporting by the New Yorker’s Jane Mayer, perhaps the least trustworthy source in America.

{snip}

Clanton didn’t respond to the Times’s request for comment in the story they published today, but back in 2017 she told The New Yorker that “I have no recollection of these messages and they do not reflect what I believe or who I am, and the same was true when I was a teenager.”

So there the matter rests. The moral of the story, I suppose, is that the Left never forgets. No matter that she was cleared by an investigation by one of the nation’s courts of appeals; once the Left gets its hands on a smear it never lets go. It will never stop trying to destroy your life. And of course, The New Yorker and the New York Times are two of the worst offenders.

Also, what makes this old story worthy of the Times’s A section? Only the fact that Justice Thomas is involved. The Times doesn’t care about a law clerk of whom few people have heard, but it cares deeply about smearing the country’s top conservative African-American. But what, exactly, are we supposed to infer from the Times story? That Clarence Thomas is weirdly favorable to those who hate black people?

A final irony: Supreme Court justices have no doubt hired any number of clerks who have written and spoken favorably about DEI, which actually is racist. But there is no controversy there: on the contrary, endorsing that form of racism is a badge of honor.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2024/02/clarence-thomas-racist.php

• Like (+1) 1

And this is why the Supreme Court will play a role in the upcoming election.

These two crooks no longer wish to continue in their current roles and need Trump to win to maintain their majority.