Cutting Star Lotulelei- why not ask him to retire?

Commish

Also, I am quite sure that would cause the NFLPA to file a grievance and it might be in breach of the CBA.

At the very least it would not be something the Bills would want other players to hear about...not exactly a recruiting tool.

"Come play here...when we want to get rid of you, we'll just pressure you into retiring so we don't have to pay you any money."

Pretty sure you didn't spend much time actually thinking that through.

Edited by Big Turk

46 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

This guy.  Every single offseason he somehow manages to hold the team over a barrel.  Every.  Single.  Offseason. 

I mean they have nobody but themselves to blame for giving him that ridiculous deal but still - Star is one of the most self-centered athletes I’ve ever witnessed.

What an effed up post.  Your 1st paragraph is laughable, idiotic, stupid and just plain wrong. Your ire is misplaced.  And by a long shot. Like you mentioned in the 2nd paragraph, it's on management to give these contracts.  You would have signed it if you were Star,no? Yet you spout of with that dumbass 1st paragraph. Get a grip already, geez. 

Have you ever stopped to think this staff, that has built a championship contender, knows what the hell they're doing and actually WANT Star? Of course not. You're "Coach" Tuesday.

Now, he could be a post June cut and then you can go smoke a bowl or something, but damn dude. Just damn.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

16 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Star is our 2nd best DT on the roster.

By the end of the year I'm not sure he was better than Eli Ankou.

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Also, I am quite sure that would cause the NFLPA to file a grievance and it might be in breach of the CBA.

At the very least it would not be something the Bills would want other players to hear about...not exactly a recruiting tool.

"Come play here...when we want to get rid of you, we'll just pressure you into retiring so we don't have to pay you any money."

Pretty sure you didn't spend much time actually thinking that through.

He already got the signing bonus, and he's not going to even consider walking away from guaranteed base salary.  Just cut him and be done with it.  

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Commish said:

If we cut Star there's a cap hit and he doesn't get paid - if he retires there's no cap hit and he doesn't get paid. Doubt that he really wants to go join another team and keep playing, and I feel like he owes Beane a favor.  What am I missing?

Bills rarely ask for this kind of money back unless they think the guy signed in bad faith. Few teams do. It happens, but rarely.

2 hours ago, Dopey said:

What an effed up post.  Your 1st paragraph is laughable, idiotic, stupid and just plain wrong. Your ire is misplaced.  And by a long shot. Like you mentioned in the 2nd paragraph, it's on management to give these contracts.  You would have signed it if you were Star,no? Yet you spout of with that dumbass 1st paragraph. Get a grip already, geez. 

Have you ever stopped to think this staff, that has built a championship contender, knows what the hell they're doing and actually WANT Star? Of course not. You're "Coach" Tuesday.

Now, he could be a post June cut and then you can go smoke a bowl or something, but damn dude. Just damn.

Star opted out for a year. He then held out till the end of training camp. He has had multiple injuries and illnesses and hasn't been available. He has also been a healthy inactive a couple times, and even when he played his snap counts diminished.

I don't think Beane and McDermott are too excited by him being on the team anymore. Yes, I am guessing. But they just went out and signed three defensive tackles. And they have drafted a couple since he has been here too. They've clearly been trying to upgrade for awhile and now have finally done it. We can expect him to be cut.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Because it’s not up to the employer to ask him to retire.  It’s a personal decision that he would make with the ones he wants to make the decision with.

The Bills offered the contract and he’s able to maneuver as he pleases within the construct of that agreement.

10 minutes ago, MJS said:

Star opted out for a year. He then held out till the end of training camp. He has had multiple injuries and illnesses and hasn't been available. He has also been a healthy inactive a couple times, and even when he played his snap counts diminished.

I don't think Beane and McDermott are too excited by him being on the team anymore. Yes, I am guessing. But they just went out and signed three defensive tackles. And they have drafted a couple since he has been here too. They've clearly been trying to upgrade for awhile and now have finally done it. We can expect him to be cut.

You're not telling me anything don't already know. I don't know anyone that wouldn't sign that contract. No one, including "Coach" Tuesday. How is he holding anyone over a barrel? Why is he blaming Star? Makes absolutely no sense. Then he came to his senses when he acknowledged this move was on management, not Star. Then he falls of the rails again with a ridiculous comment about being one of the most self-centered athletes. I don't think "Coach" has ever had any interactions with Star to determine whether he's a nice guy or a self-centered jerk. If you don't like the deal, at least place the blame where it belongs. I stick to my comment that it was an effed up post. At least your post made some sense and wasn't just spewing anger in the wrong place.  

"This guy.  Every single offseason he somehow manages to hold the team over a barrel.  Every.  Single.  Offseason. 

I mean they have nobody but themselves to blame for giving him that ridiculous deal but still - Star is one of the most self-centered athletes I’ve ever witnessed."

30 minutes ago, Dopey said:

You're not telling me anything don't already know. I don't know anyone that wouldn't sign that contract. No one, including "Coach" Tuesday. How is he holding anyone over a barrel? Why is he blaming Star? Makes absolutely no sense. Then he came to his senses when he acknowledged this move was on management, not Star. Then he falls of the rails again with a ridiculous comment about being one of the most self-centered athletes. I don't think "Coach" has ever had any interactions with Star to determine whether he's a nice guy or a self-centered jerk. If you don't like the deal, at least place the blame where it belongs. I stick to my comment that it was an effed up post. At least your post made some sense and wasn't just spewing anger in the wrong place.  

"This guy.  Every single offseason he somehow manages to hold the team over a barrel.  Every.  Single.  Offseason. 

I mean they have nobody but themselves to blame for giving him that ridiculous deal but still - Star is one of the most self-centered athletes I’ve ever witnessed."

Sure. I don't think Star has had his heart in it either, though. And ultimately, it is up to the player to perform and be available. Prove that you are worth the contract you negotiated. Star did not do that.

Yes, it was a bad contract, though. The Bills were still a poor team and felt like they needed to overpay to get Star here to be a part of that rebuild, to be an anchor on the dline. We are past that as a team, now.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, MJS said:

Sure. I don't think Star has had his heart in it either, though. And ultimately, it is up to the player to perform and be available. Prove that you are worth the contract you negotiated. Star did not do that.

Yes, it was a bad contract, though. The Bills were still a poor team and felt like they needed to overpay to get Star here to be a part of that rebuild, to be an anchor on the dline. We are past that as a team, now.

I'm not arguing whether he is performing to a certain level or not. Not even arguing whether his heart was in it. My comments were to an effed up post where someone is blaming star for the contract, then acknowledges it's on management. Only to berate that player's character when he has no clue who star is. You made your position clear, but you didn't go on a rant about someone's character. Again, he blamed star for holding the team over a barrel, then acknowledges it's on management. Only to turn around and call star one of the most self-center athletes he's ever witnessed. I think I was clear what my post was about. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.