Duke Sucks (a Coach K retrospective)

eball

I had season tickets to Syracuse basketball for the two years I was there.  I admired Jim Boeheim while I was there.  He had a good team, made the players play the right way, taught sportsmanship and scholastic accountability, and did community work.  Over the years, I have seen him change.  Winning, fame, and money influenced him more than integrity and ethics.  He also reminded me of Woody Allen with his whining.  It is disheartening to see the transformation.  I wonder if this happens to many big-time coaches, including Coach K?  Fame, power and wealth are big corrupters to many people.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, eball said:

I mean, I’ve kept pretty quiet on this front all season but now it’s time to call Coach K what he is…an arrogant whiner and sore loser who wouldn’t know sportsmanship and personal accountability if it bit him in the arse.  Since the early 80s he has gotten cream of the crop recruits and while he managed to win 5 national championships arguably no coach has ever done less with more — and he did it while whining the whole time.  You want to talk about character?  This is a coach whose players are known as much for their cheap shots and dirty play as they are for their talent (Laettner, Henderson, Allen).  He also hung an assistant coach out to dry during a season in which he knew he had a subpar team and chose to leave with “back issues.”  He actually petitioned the NCAA to have losses expunged from his coaching record that season; arrogance personified.  Now, did he embrace the 3-pt shot more quickly than others?  Yes, I’ll give him credit for that.  The guy can coach.  He emphasized tight man-to-man defense and took advantage of a home court that probably adds 10 points per game.

Coach K announcing his retirement a year early and then going on the “praise me” tour this season was as absurd as it was predictable.  Look no farther than down the road in Chapel Hill where Dean Smith and Roy Williams — K’s equals in every way — retired at the conclusion of their seasons, and their celebrations were conducted in house without detracting from their team’s environment.

Recently we’ve been hit in the face with Duke’s “The Brotherhood” marketing campaign — clearly and unmistakably initiated to compete with the 100% organic “Carolina Family” with which all college basketball fans are familiar.  Nice try coming from a program that may be the all-time leader in “one-and-done” players; yeah, I’m sure those guys who spent fewer than 300 days on the Duke campus feel that bond of brothers for life.

And then there was last Saturday night.  Oh, how glorious that was, first watching the Dookies self-destruct in the 2nd half to be blown out by their fiercest rivals, and then seeing Coach K blame his players by telling the packed house at Cameron their effort was “not acceptable.”  Not a single word congratulating the opponent until his press conference hours later.  It was cringeworthy and I loved every minute of it.  His assistant coach and former player Chris Carrawell deliberately ignored UNC coach Hubert Davis in the handshake line, and then after being called out over social media claimed it was because UNC didn’t “honor” Coach K in Chapel Hill earlier in the season.  Hey, when you learn from the master of pettiness it comes easy.

It’s so easy being on the “right” side of a rivalry.  Goodbye, Coach K — I’m counting on your team to exit the NCAAs before Final Four weekend so we can finally put this chapter to rest and see which path Jon Scheyer chooses.  Hubert Davis — coaching a team FAR less talented — already has the signature win of his career in a karmic victory of all-time.

Dook Sucks.

P.S.  Absolutely loved the shots of the crying fans in the stands.

If Davis already got his signature win because he beat coach K... Probably not going to be a great career there

I would call his signature win a natty 

And honestly since I grew up in the Big East basketball and not ACC I'm not super familiar with the Carolina family slogan..  I can tell you every single coach at Syracuse also played for Boheim and it's 100% a family program at SU and they brand that also

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rico said:

Yeah, Dean Smith always had the goofy-looking white kids on his bench who never got into any games but would go crazy when someone like Jordan or Worthy did something great.

We don’t need to get into it here, but google “Dean Smith innovations” some time and read a few of the articles. I get it that people didn’t like him slowing down the game with the four corners but his coaching legacy is so much more than that. 

6 minutes ago, eball said:

We don’t need to get into it here, but google “Dean Smith innovations” some time and read a few of the articles. I get it that people didn’t like him slowing down the game with the four corners but his coaching legacy is so much more than that. 

Oh I’m just kidding, he was a legend no doubt. Not as great as John Wooden (from Purdue), but still a legend.

• Like (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...

Had to give this a bump.  What a Saturday night!

For the rest of my life, whenever some Dook fan talks smack I’ve got the two greatest trump cards in the history of the rivalry — ruining K’s final game at Cameron, and knocking him out of the Final Four and into retirement.

What a schmuck K was for taking that ridiculous “kiss the ring” retirement tour.

K’s first loss as Dook coach was to Carolina, as were two of his last three.

Across 42 years of coaching at Dook, during their greatest era, K was only .500 (50-50) vs. Carolina.

See ya, Krzithead!!!

• Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, eball said:

Had to give this a bump.  What a Saturday night!

For the rest of my life, whenever some Dook fan talks smack I’ve got the two greatest trump cards in the history of the rivalry — ruining K’s final game at Cameron, and knocking him out of the Final Four and into retirement.

What a schmuck K was for taking that ridiculous “kiss the ring” retirement tour.

K’s first loss as Dook coach was to Carolina, as were two of his last three.

Across 42 years of coaching at Dook, during their greatest era, K was only .500 (50-50) vs. Carolina.

See ya, Krzithead!!!

https://imgflip.com/i/6bco84

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

After the game Saturday night K still couldn't help but blame the players.  In what I suppose he thought was a statement of caring and compassion, he still threw his team under the bus.

"I had a locker room filled with guys who were crying," Krzyzewski said. "And it's a beautiful sight. It's not the sight that I would want. I'd want the other. But it's a sight that I really respect and makes me understand just how good this group was. And that's what I'm concerned -- I don't want any of these guys to leave and say, I should have made that one free throw; I should have made that one -- we win and we lose together."

What a doosh.

• Dislike 1

21 minutes ago, Rico said:

I'd just like to say that UNC has some of the sharpest, classiest uniforms out there, while Kansas' in comparison are clownshow, just too tacky to root for.

I think the Rules of Basketball on the side of the Kansas jerseys is cool.

But I need NC and < 147 points and that's all that matters to me this evening wrt NCAA hoops.

15 hours ago, TBBills said:

All that about someone you never met... that is called Jealousy. 

How do you know I’ve never met him?

Jealousy is the wrong word.  Did you not understand I’m a Carolina grad and fan?  Why would I be jealous?

Coack K has always been about Coach K.  Ask anyone who has followed his career closely.  I’ve never said he wasn’t a great coach, or that he didn’t build a great program.  He’s among the top 5 NCAA coaches of all time.  I simply don’t think he’s a “great” man.

Anyway…proud of the Heels for somehow getting over the emotional win against Dook and giving Kansas everything they could handle.  What a season.

• Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.