AFCE off season info, cap space, draft picks

Inigo Montoya

Just some reference numbers on the AFCE going into the off season in one place.  The cap space thing remains a mystery to me as teams always seem to be able to make moves whether they have cap space or not.  The draft picks below do not include compensatory picks,

Cap Space;

Phins;  $66 million;  1st in NFL

Jets;    $44 million;  5th in NFL

Pats;    $7 million;    21st in NFL

Bills:    - $2 million;  25th in NFL

Draft Picks;

Phins;

1st,   #29

2nd,  #50

3rd,  #101

4th,  #119,  #123

5th,  #157

6th,  #199

7th,  #222

Jets;

1st,   #4,  #10

2nd,  #35,  #38

3rd,  #69

4th,  #109,  #115

5th,  #145,  #162

Pats;

1st,   #21

2nd,  #54

3rd,  #85

4th,  #125

6th,  #209

Bills;

1st,   #25

2nd,  #57

3rd,  #89

4th,  #128

5th,  #167

6th,  #183,  #202

7th,  #229,  #244

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Pats are a mess. 

Old, slow defense. 

Spent a billion dollars on a bunch of average offensive players last off-season. 

QB on a rookie deal and very little above average talent on the roster, and somehow have very little cap space. 

Only 5 draft picks. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

Geez Jets have quite a few quality picks.  Can they get it together and build a team around Zach Wilson?

The good news for the Jest is that they have a lot of great draft picks.  The bad news is that they really need them and also they’re the Jest. 

6 minutes ago, Process said:

Pats are a mess. 

Old, slow defense. 

Spent a billion dollars on a bunch of average offensive players last off-season. 

QB on a rookie deal and very little above average talent on the roster, and somehow have very little cap space. 

Only 5 draft picks. 

I think you meant to say .. Pats are in a beautiful place  ... happy tidings indeed.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

Geez Jets have quite a few quality picks.  Can they get it together and build a team around Zach Wilson?

The Jets are not in the QB sweepstakes this year either.  They might be able to trade back further into the 1st round and pick up some more quality picks.  I know that the QB class is not supposed to be great this year, but as the draft gets closer the QBs will start moving up the board with all the pre-draft hype.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, DCbillsfan said:

My issue is Wilson didn't look anywhere near good - worse than burrows rookie year, worse than lawrence, worse than fields even.  

Trash line. Trash WRs. Trash TE's.  Trash RB's.

As for defense there's what - mosley and williams?  And they aren't exactly all-world type players either.  

4 picks in the first 40, and tons of cap space can address a lot of that.  Maybe you get a CB1 in FA, a pass rusher and WR in the 1st, and some oline help in the 2nd.  But they are still likely very far off.  And i don't trust wilson to elevate them.  There's a good chance they're right back here in a year.  

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

I like their coach even though we have owned him.  They played tough to finish out the year as bad as they were.  Dolphins worry me if they make a move for a a qb.  I hope the pats stick with Mac for a while because I can never get enough of beating up on Bill Belichick.  Gonna be a fun offseason.  

2 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Just some reference numbers on the AFCE going into the off season in one place.  The cap space thing remains a mystery to me as teams always seem to be able to make moves whether they have cap space or not.  The draft picks below do not include compensatory picks,

Cap Space;

Phins;  $66 million;  1st in NFL

Jets;    $44 million;  5th in NFL

Pats;    $7 million;    21st in NFL

Bills:    - $2 million;  25th in NFL

Draft Picks;

Phins;

1st,   #29

2nd,  #50

3rd,  #101

4th,  #119,  #123

5th,  #157

6th,  #199

7th,  #222

Jets;

1st,   #4,  #10

2nd,  #35,  #38

3rd,  #69

4th,  #109,  #115

5th,  #145,  #162

Pats;

1st,   #21

2nd,  #54

3rd,  #85

4th,  #125

6th,  #209

Bills;

1st,   #25

2nd,  #57

3rd,  #89

4th,  #128

5th,  #167

6th,  #183

7th,  #229,  #244

What happened to the Bills sixth rounder from carolina for Daryl Johnson?

Don’t be selling us short now…

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

What happened to the Bills sixth rounder from carolina for Daryl Johnson?

Don’t be selling us short now…

Lol!  Don't want to sell our Bills short!

You're right, I missed a pick.  #183 is from the Panthers.  #202 is our original 6th rounder.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, dneveu said:

My issue is Wilson didn't look anywhere near good - worse than burrows rookie year, worse than lawrence, worse than fields even.  

Trash line. Trash WRs. Trash TE's.  Trash RB's.

As for defense there's what - mosley and williams?  And they aren't exactly all-world type players either.  

4 picks in the first 40, and tons of cap space can address a lot of that.  Maybe you get a CB1 in FA, a pass rusher and WR in the 1st, and some oline help in the 2nd.  But they are still likely very far off.  And i don't trust wilson to elevate them.  There's a good chance they're right back here in a year.  

He was terrible but did play a little better late in the year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.