non-QB MVP listing - Poyer #10

First Round Bust

no pro football weekend so as community service to keeping you depressed barnyard animals fed here is a limited extract of non-QBs MVPs from espn+, pay service, its cheap, a lot of Sabres games which is good for us out-of-WNY-market folks, plus other NHL games (nice alt to centre ice) plus MLB games and whole lot of various college sports, not an endorsement, but I likey and here is one reason why...

non QB MVPs 

Poyer came in at #10  (Donald and Kupp were 2 and 1 then TJ, Deebo, Micah P next)

No. 1 in EPA per play and No. 1 -- easily -- in EPA per dropback. Biils D allowed just 12 passing touchdowns all year, less than half the number the average team allowed. And the Bills did it without a ton of superstars, plus Tre'Davious White was out for the last third of the season. How?

One part of the equation was excellent safety play. While nearest defender information isn't perfect because it doesn't necessarily capture a defensive back's responsibility on a play, it's hard not to notice Poyer as an outlier.

Opponents lost 30 total EPA (including five interceptions) when Poyer was the nearest defender to the target at the time of ball arrival, per NFL Next Gen Stats. That is the best of all players who played deep safety at least 60% of the time. His yards per coverage snap allowed was just 0.3, second-best in the same group and fueled by a minus-17% completion rate over expectation (negative is better), also second-best.

It is a little bit of a leap of faith to have Poyer here instead of bigger names like Myles Garrett or Nick Bosa, particularly given we don't have as advanced safety metrics as we do for pass-rushers. But in what metrics we do have for safeties, Poyer was elite. In order for the Buffalo defense to produce like it did, it needed exceptional play from some of its players.....

....being gashed by the run game over-rates the passing stats to a certain degree

• Like (+1) 2

I think that might be low. When Tre went out I thought Poyer was the second best player on team. 

I am high on Diggs but I think our depth chart goes:

1. Allen

2. A country mile…

3 a/b. Tre/Poyer- I think the difference between the two is razor thin.

5. Diggs- I am high on Diggs. Not a knock. It’s a credit to the two guys above him more than anything.

46 minutes ago, First Round Bust said:

no pro football weekend so as community service to keeping you depressed barnyard animals fed here is a limited extract of non-QBs MVPs from espn+, pay service, its cheap, a lot of Sabres games which is good for us out-of-WNY-market folks, plus other NHL games (nice alt to centre ice) plus MLB games and whole lot of various college sports, not an endorsement, but I likey and here is one reason why...

non QB MVPs 

Poyer came in at #10  (Donald and Kupp were 2 and 1 then TJ, Deebo, Micah P next)

No. 1 in EPA per play and No. 1 -- easily -- in EPA per dropback. Biils D allowed just 12 passing touchdowns all year, less than half the number the average team allowed. And the Bills did it without a ton of superstars, plus Tre'Davious White was out for the last third of the season. How?

One part of the equation was excellent safety play. While nearest defender information isn't perfect because it doesn't necessarily capture a defensive back's responsibility on a play, it's hard not to notice Poyer as an outlier.

Opponents lost 30 total EPA (including five interceptions) when Poyer was the nearest defender to the target at the time of ball arrival, per NFL Next Gen Stats. That is the best of all players who played deep safety at least 60% of the time. His yards per coverage snap allowed was just 0.3, second-best in the same group and fueled by a minus-17% completion rate over expectation (negative is better), also second-best.

It is a little bit of a leap of faith to have Poyer here instead of bigger names like Myles Garrett or Nick Bosa, particularly given we don't have as advanced safety metrics as we do for pass-rushers. But in what metrics we do have for safeties, Poyer was elite. In order for the Buffalo defense to produce like it did, it needed exceptional play from some of its players.....

....being gashed by the run game over-rates the passing stats to a certain degree

Poyer helps in the run a lot. He covers for Edmunds/Milano quite a bit. 

9 hours ago, Mango said:

I think that might be low. When Tre went out I thought Poyer was the second best player on team. 

1. Allen

2. A country mile…

5. Diggs- I am high on Diggs. Not a knock. It’s a credit to the two guys above him more than anything.

tenth in the entire NFL, not just on the Bills

9 hours ago, Mango said:

1. Allen

2. A country mile…

And even Taron who teams run at simply because he’s the nickel… 

3 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

It’s a damn shame they didn’t stick him on Kelce at the end there. 

It’s a damn shame both Safeties were so far off screen they barely factored into the game. 

4 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

It’s a damn shame they didn’t stick him on Kelce at the end there. 

It would have made a difference to if Addison on his way to Mahomes would have chipped Kielce & pushed him wide to Wallace that may have made a slight difference in slowing or recognizing where he was going but ultimately they should have brought Wallace in to jam him at the line it would have been a totally different out come ...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.