Mike McDaniel hired as HC by Miami

Hapless Bills Fan

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

This reminds me of a time earlier in my career when I was in court in a case with a Jamaican defendant speaking in a pretty strong patois and ending almost every sentence with "you get me" and an old prim and proper English judge who at one point intervened in the process and asked the defendant "I'm sorry, but who was trying to get you?"

the british incorporation of slang terms is great.  perhaps the most literal nation on the planet (washing up liquid, people carriers, lifts, go to the toilet, etc).  they incorporate various slang terms (seems like a lot of them are west indian in origin) as quite well defined parts of speech but are baffled by the sort of looser more intuitive way that americans use slang (however, they also don't tend to constantly misuse words based on assumptions that other people using those words knew what they were saying, like middle class, and exponential).

instead, they seem to invent entirely new sectarian languages like cockney slang and polari.  if football was played there like it is here, there would be some unique football language that no one else understands.

10 minutes ago, colin said:

the british incorporation of slang terms is great.  perhaps the most literal nation on the planet (washing up liquid, people carriers, lifts, go to the toilet, etc).  they incorporate various slang terms (seems like a lot of them are west indian in origin) as quite well defined parts of speech but are baffled by the sort of looser more intuitive way that americans use slang (however, they also don't tend to constantly misuse words based on assumptions that other people using those words knew what they were saying, like middle class, and exponential).

instead, they seem to invent entirely new sectarian languages like cockney slang and polari.  if football was played there like it is here, there would be some unique football language that no one else understands.

Okay so I get how washing up liquid, people carriers and lifts are pretty literal.... I'm not sure how you could say go to the toilet in a non-literal way? Is it just the way Americans talk about "the bathroom" all the time? Cos that is something I find odd. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Okay so I get how washing up liquid, people carriers and lifts are pretty literal.... I'm not sure how you could say go to the toilet in a non-literal way? Is it just the way Americans talk about "the bathroom" all the time? Cos that is something I find odd. 

we are being coy!

• Haha (+1) 1

Back to McDaniel: I like the guy. He brings a freshness to the role. Yes, he is a bit odd compared to the typical NFL Coach (compare him to McDermott--the contrast is comical). But, he is the new wave. He is unconventional. All things that keep it interesting. But all that matters is winning on the field. If he does that, he'll be a smash hit. If not, he'll be fired in a few years. I hope he continues Miami's patterns of the past few years: the dominance of the Patriots and utter disaster against the Bills.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

In America we "Take the Browns to the Super Bowl"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

I chalk it up to living life as a black man in a white world.  Growing up on the mean streets of Aurora, CO and going to Yale .. only to claw his way to the top of the NFL coaching ranks after spending an entire 365 days as a coordinator .. gotta be rough.  Don't hate the playa.  Hate the game.  Word.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy to see the Dolphins continuing to make one stupid decision after another.  He might be the coaching prodigy the media claims he is, but I struggle to picture him being an effective leader of men.    (p.s.  LOL on your comments)

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Process said:

This is incredible. Both the ridiculousness of the question, and that McDaniels gave it sincere thought and answered it. 

I mean I agree with his answers. Matt LaFleur is hot. Sean McVay is irritating. Kyle Shanahan has a great mind. 

He knocked this out of the park.

• Like (+1) 2

On 2/17/2022 at 5:35 AM, GunnerBill said:

To be fair McDaniel did not bring his race up. It isn't him driving this. 

Right. McDaniel never made his racial make-up an issue. Others, primarily the media, have.

Now the guy can't win.

If he doesn't openly identify as black, he is accused of hiding his "blackness" and being happy to pass for white.

If he does openly identify as black, he is ridiculed for not being "black enough."

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Right. McDaniel never made his racial make-up an issue. Others, primarily the media, have.

Now the guy can't win.

If he doesn't openly identify as black, he is accused of hiding his "blackness" and being happy to pass for white.

If he does openly identify as black, he is ridiculed for not being "black enough."

I disagree.  He can win.   Win football games and don't play into the racial stir up.   He doesn't make a big deal of it.  Stand by that.   Don't be wishy-washy.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.