How long will the Bills window be open?

zow2

16 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Beane has been masterful in how he does contracts and manages the cap.  So I think “this” window stays open for as long as our key players are here and -at the top of their game.  Guys like Poyer, Hyde, Milano, Diggs, etc.  I don’t name Allen because he’s young and locked up a long time, so he’s a given.  

After these guys start to decline or maybe leave at their next contracts, it will be about Beanes ability to refill the tool box like he’s done on the DL with young talent.  But I would view that as the next window.  I see windows as being about bulk of the current roster makeup.  

So I think this team has another 2-3 years at least and that window can go on much longer or even the bulk of Allen’s career if Beane keeps doing a great job.

I think realistically for Hyde and Poyer (both 31 when next season begins) we are approaching the end game. They have both been brilliant this year, Hyde after a bit of a down year in 2020, and they totally deserve their all pro recognition. But to continue to depend on them not only continuing to play at such a high level but remain so healthy much beyond next year would be risky. They have Jaquan and they have Damar obviously in house.... but I wouldn't be stunned if they picked a safety on the first two days of the draft given the importance of the position in McDermott's scheme (not to start in 2022 but to potentially start in 2023).

They are the only two of our key men about whom there are any short to medium term worries though (ie the next 1 to 2 years). 

The other key factor is the Pegulas continuing to spend money up front on new deals. That gives Beane the flexibility he needs to manage the cap. When people say the cap means rich teams have no advantage they are wrong. Teams with rich owners willing to commit more in up front guarantees and amortised payments have more cap flexibility than teams with poorer owners (Raiders and Bengals etc) who don't.

• Agree 2

It will be interesting to see how Beane views offensive skill position talent.

Beasley and Sanders feel like they are reaching the end of the line.

Leaving Diggs, Davis and Knox as the main pass catchers.

I would not stop with Diggs, and think the team should draft another WR high, and get an NFL worthy Tight End to pair with Knox.

We just need to get through this offseason and keep our own at the moment. 2023 is a big FA year for us. Notable are Knox, Singletary, Morse, Ed Oliver (5th year), Poyer, and Edmunds. Plus a looming expensive extension for Diggs. Special mention for Dane Jackson, his contract will be dependent on what we do with Wallace after this season. 

Spotrac is estimating we have $70M free including $10M from this years roll over. I would be shocked if they let Poyer walk, he will command $15M, Edmunds hopefully gets something done in the $12-13M range, Oliver will take $10, if we are lucky we get Knox in the $8-10M range. That leave us ~$25M to make some other moves and extend Diggs. Getting more production from the DE's we drafted will be important going forward. 

Long and short, if we can hit this draft and nail this years roster changes, I think we can solidify a window of another 3-5 years. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

If Josh keeps running the ball, the window might only be open for a handful of years. This is why we need to find a high end RB and draft a bunch of great o-linemen. As fun as it is to watch Josh run, it should be sparingly to reduce wear and tear. 

This is something a lot of folks are really underestimating.

And I keep saying if you go back 5 years or so ago and watch what the panthers were doing with Cam Newton, the whole NFL world probably thought they were going to be the dominant team in the NFL for the next 10+ years especially after Newton's peak 2015 MVP season and SB appearance.

But fast forward to present and we all know where both the Panthers as a franchise and Newton as a QB are and that 2015 season seems like light years ago. So this must be a cautionary tale for this franchise and Beane and McDermott know this better than anyone since they were in Carolina in those days.

• Dislike 1

11 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

And I keep saying if you go back 5 years or so ago and watch what the panthers were doing with Cam Newton, the whole NFL world probably thought they were going to be the dominant team in the NFL for the next 10+ years especially after Newton's peak 2015 MVP season and SB appearance.

But fast forward to present and we all know where both the Panthers as a franchise and Newton as a QB are and that 2015 season seems like light years ago. So this must be a cautionary tale for this franchise and Beane and McDermott know this better than anyone since they were in Carolina in those days.

no one thought that, lol

Our window is however long Josh Allen is in his prime, or close to his prime. As long as hes our QB any season could be the one we win it all. Buckle up and enjoy the ride. 

18 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Cam was never the passer Allen is. Its not even close. And that makes all the difference. 

Edited by bobobonators
  • Agree 1

window is open as long as we have JA and a decent offensive line/defensive line.     really all thats needed.   

even though the oline is playing great since Bates and Brown have stepped up,  i want more.    i want a dominate Oline. 

i dont want Josh being our best RB.  i dont want Josh to end up like Cam.   longer Josh's body lasts,  longer the window stays open. 

Devin can play,  he just needed to not get hit in the backfield by 2 guys every time the ball was handed too him.    

Edited by bigduke6

22 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Our window is however long Josh Allen is in his prime, or close to his prime. As long as hes our QB any season could be the one we win it all. Buckle up and enjoy the ride. 

Cam was never the passer Allen is. Its not even close. And that makes all the difference. 

Agreed that Allen is a much better passer than Cam, but Allen’s career will not be long if he’s continuing to rush the way he does. We need a huge investment in the o-line and a star RB to keep Allen’s career long. 

You always have a shot when you have an elite QB.  That said, Allen’s style of play does not lend itself to a Brady like career, more like a Big Ben, so I’m saying we have about 10 years of high level play left.  The key is how long you can keep a team around guys like him.  It can’t become any more Josh Allen and a bunch of guys in matching uniforms or he won’t be able to get it done.   It will be a Rodgers situation. 

IF the D line can improved next season and you get Tre back, you have a shot for a couple more years.  The cap will be going up enough to retain most of the key pieces and you have to draft well.   We probably are seeing the last year for 2-3 guys who “start” or play a key role on the D line.  They have to be replaced and the replacement will need to cost less than them.  I expect Diggs to get a contract tweak to keep him happy, which means they have to think about Beasley possibly leaving.  Sanders could come back in that slot role for less I would think.  So that will free up some capital.  They have to deal with Edmunds or his replacement soon too.  There’s still a need for CB, and you need to re-up Hyde.   Basically, it’s going to be a lot of shuffling of dollars to field almost the same team, the draft is going to have to fill holes quickly. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.