[Entertainment] LOST discussion thread

duey

Ok, wow... so much to say. Need to plan out this post. But the first thing I wanted to say was that the monster appears to be formless, a black cloud that can grab things at its will. I really dont think it has a shape, but has taken shapes in the past, and will continue to do so. Also, Danielle did not start the fire for the black smoke. The others started it, and Danielle was fooled like the rest to prepare for the others. She thought that by taking the baby, she could trade it for Alex. She's a victim like the rest.

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if the "monster" is what it looks like - blasts of hot air? What if there are people living underground and the "monster" is really a ventelation/exaust system for an underground bunker/village? That would explain the mechanical chain-like nature of the thing that grabbed Locke - it was a security system. Maybe these underground people are engaged in a battle with the "Others" and the survivors are caught in the middle?

Maybe the hatch was made as the entrance to the underground village to protect them from the "Others" - or more remotely, maybe they are survivors of a nuclear fallout from 1950's testing or something.

Another thought I had aout the hatch was that maybe, like the "Blackrock," a submarine got beached far inland on the island - but the stairs seemed to reach too far down for that.  But submarines have hatches that can only be opened from the inside, right? (I really don't know).

Just a few ideas.

345189[/snapback]

Another idea I had in addition to those quoted above (assuming the above are correct) is that Danielle may have either been: 1) banished from the "Others" or the underground people; 2) like the survivors and caught inbetween the battle between the underground people and the "Others;" or 3) she is playing stupid and is really a leader of one of teh groups.

Another idea I had in addition to those quoted above (assuming the above are correct) is that Danielle may have either been: 1) banished from the "Others" or the underground people; 2) like the survivors and caught inbetween the battle between the underground people and the "Others;" or 3) she is playing stupid and is really a leader of one of teh groups.

345215[/snapback]

I vote for choice #2 (caught in between).

and I probably do not deserve a response, but I fell asleep about 8:55 and missed the entire last hour of the finale. could some one post a quick synopsis for me? my wife wouldn't tell me about it! I don't need interpretations, I will get that from the other thread, I just want a synopsis. pretty please????

Was I the only one who thought the part when Locke said he believed in "destiny" was rather awkward? It seems the talk of fate and destiny in the show were kind of forced euphanisms.

345237[/snapback]

Nah, I didn't find it awkward. That has been one of the themes for the entire show and it's going to be what sets up a split (if there is one) between Jack and Locke.

Nah, I didn't find it awkward. That has been one of the themes for the entire show and it's going to be what sets up a split (if there is one) between Jack and Locke.

345241[/snapback]

Yeah...I agree. In fact, it represented a confrontation of philosphy that has been building between those two characters since the first episode.

Connction that no one had mentioned:

When Locke and Jack were talking about the hatch and guessing what is inside of it, Locke says Hope.

Well if you think back to Greek Mythology, you'd remember that when Pandora opened her cursed box, all the vices, diseases, and evil flew out of the box to afflict humanity forever, but she closed the box, and sealed Hope inside it. She later opened the box and let hope out, to fix the maladies that had been released before it.

Connction that no one had mentioned:

When Locke and Jack were talking about the hatch and guessing what is inside of it, Locke says Hope.

Well if you think back to Greek Mythology, you'd remember that when Pandora opened her cursed box, all the vices, diseases, and evil flew out of the box  to afflict humanity forever, but she closed the box, and sealed Hope inside it. She later opened the box and let hope out, to fix the maladies that had been released before it.

345248[/snapback]

Dude...nice. Well done.

I'm still trying to find out what the eagle (or bird) meant in relation to the monster. Was it part of the monster, some sort of imagry, or a clue?

The fact that the producers put in the CGI shot (normally you don't spend 1,000s of dollars on a shot just because it looks cool...well, unless you're Lucas) says to me they wanted us to notice it.

I'm still trying to find out what the eagle (or bird) meant in relation to the monster. Was it part of the monster, some sort of imagry, or a clue?

The fact that the producers put in the CGI shot (normally you don't spend 1,000s of dollars on a shot just because it looks cool...well, unless you're Lucas) says to me they wanted us to notice it.

345255[/snapback]

Yeah...with this show, if emphasis is given to anything, you know it has to tie in somehow. On a very simplistic level, could it have been another part of the security system?

I think it's possible "the island" brings a group of people every time it needs a new "chosen" one (baby, child) - perhaps when the last "chosen" one expires. It will be interesting to see eventually what really happened the first time Claire was grabbed. With the twist at the end w/ Walt being the one they were after I was thinking maybe they got Claire then realized her baby wasn't the one after all - then let her go. Not sure how Danielle played a part in all that. It does seem though to me that she did not set the fire - that she really thought she could trade the baby. I also think it is possible she led them to the explosives thinking they might blow themselves up (if Kate really did use the axe they would all be tiny Arntz-like pieces now).

The ratcheting sound when Locke was being dragged I think is significant. I think they made the sound so distinct on purpose. What it makes me think of is there is some basic technological/mechanical aspect to the "security system" (perhaps even old/outdated/ancient) - not just an invisible dinosaur plodding around.

For a little while after Kate said 23 meant something to her, I thought when they got to the hatch one by one there was going to be a realization thst each of the numbers was going to have some meaning to each individual - then something 'magical' would happen and the hatch would open or something :blink:

It did look to me like Sawyer only got winged. No doubt all three wash up on the shore of the island in the first episode (perhaps on another spot on the island - with other discoveries being made in parallel).

The one thing that is a little stretch to me is that it seems like they would have had a lot of chances to just grab Walt on the island - instead of the elaborate sea chase scenario (although I guess that made for better TV) :flirt:

First, regarding Danielle...I think she concocted the entire "Others coming" story just so that she could draw the strong members of the survivor away from the rest of the group so that she could go back and take the baby.  And I'm surprised that they would actually follow her all the way to the Black Rock with this impending threat of attack.  I think the writers kind of let this one get away from them...there was no real sense of urgency for them to get the explosives and then get to the hatch.  By the time they got to the hatch, it was night time (when supposedly the Others were going to attack).  A little disconnect in the story there, IMHO.

Well, they thought blowing the hatch might save them. Fear makes people behave differently. And it's understandable that they would slow down and be mega careful after Arzt was blown up. Not a slip-up of the writers; it's their story.

Which brings me to the Danielle - Claire tie in.  We now know that Claire is the one who scratched Danielle during some kind of struggle.  My theory is that Ethan was one of the others, and that Danielle had some how helped Claire escape from them for the purpose of ulitmately getting the baby for herself and taking it back to exchange for Alex. The person on the Others boat who threw the explosive appeared to be a young, blonde woman.  She certainly looked older than 16, but I agree that it was probably Alex.

I don't necessarily think that the Others stole Walt b/c he's SuperWalt. The people on the island are baby/youth-crazy. Kind of like our culture is that leads to people stealing others' kids. And yeah, I think Ethan was one of the Others sent to infiltrate the Lostaways. But on the island, why do they need to steal other people's babies? To keep up the population for members of their group? If anyone's seen the movie "Waterworld" they're kind of that ilk.

The Beast...so we were able to see that this thing can be invisible, is most certainly mechanical, and can essentially disappear in a puff of smoke.  I'm having trouble putting all those things together...but I def think that the fact it was retracting into an underground location is tied to the stairs leading down from the hatch.

I don't think it's that the monster can be invisible. It is invisible. Then again, it does have the Predator heat wave thing going on, so maybe you're right. Did you see it inhaling and exhaling the black smoke? And what slothrop said with hot air currents? Dude, no way. The sheer schematics of something that actually controls that? It ripped out trees. His other theory about the hatch being a submarine is a distinct possibility. The camera didn't pan that far down. But the stairs below the first few rungs are broken.

The rafters...so, Walt has been taken, obviously because of his "powers."  But what of the other three?  Sawyer was shot, though the way he flew off the raft leads me to think it was in the shoulder...non-fatal.  Jin went in after him, and Michael is just floating by the wreackage of the raft.  There's enough left of the raft for them to grab on and evenually make their way back to the island (unless the sharks get them!).

Meant to say that about Sawyer. He'd better not be shot badly; he's turned into one of my favorite characters. They're about 15 miles from the island. The Others guy said "What are you guys doing out here?" If they wanted Walt so badly, they would have gotten him on the beach. I think it may just be a diversion to get them to go back, b/c they don't want anyone discovering the island.

There's a repeat of the whole two hours on Saturday night at 8. I'll be watching. Whew! Best show on TV.

Yeah...with this show, if emphasis is given to anything, you know it has to tie in somehow.  On a very simplistic level, could it have been another part of the security system?

345258[/snapback]

I think it certainly is part of the security system (maybe a trigger/look out). But I'm not sure if that's it or if there's more. I just found that part interesting. That and the Monster going underground and the Hatch leading underground...those were the most interesting bits to me.

I thought this was a great season finale. A few thoughts (for what they are worth):

1) I think the black vapor that seems to move like a snake through the air is the natural state of the "Monster".

2) I don't think it was the monster that grabbed Locke and pulled him into the hole. I think that he tripped some kind of trap as he was running away from the thing. (In slow motion you can see a large rope knot in the thing pulling Locke.)

3) I think that hatch is some kind of nuclear emergency shelter and that large provisions of food and fuel must be stored in it. That might explain why it would need a security system. I think that the "others" must have a way to access the fuel at least so they can keep the boat running and make Molotov Cocktails.

4) I think that the black smoke fire is a way for the others to locate their base when they leave it. Perhaps its another enterence to the place that the hatch leads to. If this is true, that might mean that there are only 4 "others".

5) I think that Danielle spied on they, heard that they were going to take "the boy" and thought from her previous encounter with Claire that Aaron (Thank God the baby finally has a name - turnip head was starting to get old) was the boy they were talking about. So she thought she would steal Aaron and make the deal for Alex.

I think the "supernatural" stuff is not as supernatural as the writers would have you believe, and a lot of it can be explained away as coincidence and/or paranoia on the part of the castaways.

Danielle is insane, and is clearly feeding the castaway's paranoia, but not maliciously.

I think the original research team (the others) found something of value on the island, split into two camps (ie those who got greedy, and those who didn't...with the greedy ones killing off the other group, except for Danielle).

The monster is just a machine used for digging/mining and ripping down trees. Notice that none of the trees were pulled up into the air, but were pulled down. The chain sound is the winch used to drag the trees down to the mine, where they are needed to fuel the machine, or for other reasons. Locke just got caught in one by accident. The smoke is the exhaust...could be coal or deisel exhaust.

They need kids because the shafts are too small for an adult to get through. Walt was chosen because he is older than Aaron, and clearly more usefull now.