What's For Dinner?: Christmas Edition

Gugny

2 minutes ago, teef said:

if i'm correct on this, (and i very well may not be) the old schools in our family had veal as part of it, and there was a hard boiled egg in the center.

After some google machine action, I do see the boiled egg in some recipes.  I also see other kinds of meat (than flank steak) used, so using veal would definitely not be a crazy notion.

It actually sounds delicious with veal and egg.

10 minutes ago, Gugny said:

After some google machine action, I do see the boiled egg in some recipes.  I also see other kinds of meat (than flank steak) used, so using veal would definitely not be a crazy notion.

It actually sounds delicious with veal and egg.

i doesn't taste the same to me without the veal.  i have it every so often, and it tends to be a bit too dry.  people just bailed on the veal aspect, which i understand.  

Just now, teef said:

i doesn't taste the same to me without the veal.  i have it every so often, and it tends to be a bit too dry.  people just bailed on the veal aspect, which i understand.  

It is dry, for sure.

My girlfriend won't eat veal (for the obvious reason).  I wanted veal piccata SOOOO BAAAD when we went out.  But out of respect for her, I didn't get it and went with the braciola.  It was delicious, but yes ... I always expect it to be on the dry side.

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

It is dry, for sure.

My girlfriend won't eat veal (for the obvious reason).  I wanted veal piccata SOOOO BAAAD when we went out.  But out of respect for her, I didn't get it and went with the braciola.  It was delicious, but yes ... I always expect it to be on the dry side.

i love veal piccata too.  every so often i'll order veal, but it has to be from a very specific restaurant or two.  one place around here does it on the bone, and it may be one of the best things on their menu.   my wife won't eat veal either, but she doesn't flinch when i do.  

Just now, teef said:

i love veal piccata too.  every so often i'll order veal, but it has to be from a very specific restaurant or two.  one place around here does it on the bone, and it may be one of the best things on their menu.   my wife won't eat veal either, but she doesn't flinch when i do.  

I was told to "go ahead and get it!"  But it's really not that big of a deal.  If it becomes one, then I'll just dump her.

Just now, Gugny said:

I was told to "go ahead and get it!"  But it's really not that big of a deal.  If it becomes one, then I'll just dump her.

now a days you can just ghost someone.  breaking up has never been move convenient!

also, have you had veal saltimbocca?  it may be a notch above veal piccata.

3 minutes ago, teef said:

now a days you can just ghost someone.  breaking up has never been move convenient!

also, have you had veal saltimbocca?  it may be a notch above veal piccata.

My God, that looks heavenly.  Holy *****!

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

My God, that looks heavenly.  Holy *****!

oh...it's as good as advertised.  you can always have it with chicken, but the taste isn't quite right.  when you and your girlfriend come to rochester, i'll take you to one of my favorite italian places.  it's far more authentic than most, and the chef doesn't ***** around. 

https://fiammarochester.com/

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, teef said:

oh...it's as good as advertised.  you can always have it with chicken, but the taste isn't quite right.  when you and your girlfriend come to rochester, i'll take you to one of my favorite italian places.  it's far more authentic than most, and the chef doesn't ***** around. 

That menu is incredible.

22 hours ago, muppy said:

we celebrate the major meal for Christmas on the Eve. The day is a family tradition to go out for chinese on christmas just to avoid the c leanup for another extravaganza. Think about it, They are likely one of the only non fast food option available on Christmas Day. That and maybe pho or dim sum.

My eve meal will be traditional baked ham with a pineapple honey glaze, crockpot mashed potatoes,  artesian bread baked. My best friend will bring the veg sides shes a fabulous cook. Dessert will be homemade cherry pie. 

martanellis and wine etc etc etc. Daughter is baking 3 different cookies I'll chime in with sugar cutouts frosting and rainbow sprinkles

we make homemade tamales ( 12 dozen pork total ) and cookie trays and pass them out Christmas day. family recipe.

Merry Christmas to everyone at 2bd.

m

Very non-traditional Christmas this year. Our son and DIL will be with her HUGE family in Florida, returning on the 26th. My 94 year old mother will be here and we need to do something with her. I’m not sure if she’s even comfortable going to Mass. We just moved and can’t justify putting up a tree when we are still in boxes and unsure of where to find my socks in the morning. 

A few years ago we took both our grown sons to the Aquarium then found a very nice seafood restaurant that was open Christmas Day. I may check to see if they are still open on Christmas Day and try for reservations. There will be no giant feast for the three of us, so that would at least make it memorable with my mom. At her age, I’m not sure how many more we will have together. 

We will probably assign another date to have “Christmas” at our son’s new house. At least they have a tree up and are somewhat decorated. They hope to start a family next year, and that would make it more special again. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, teef said:

i grew up in Rochester but don’t remember this place. Is it new?

I remember one of our favorite Italian places was Mario’s in Brighton. I just tried googling it, and it may have closed down? 

3 hours ago, Augie said:

Very non-traditional Christmas this year. Our son and DIL will be with her HUGE family in Florida, returning on the 26th. My 94 year old mother will be here and we need to do something with her. I’m not sure if she’s even comfortable going to Mass. We just moved and can’t justify putting up a tree when we are still in boxes and unsure of where to find my socks in the morning. 

A few years ago we took both our grown sons to the Aquarium then found a very nice seafood restaurant that was open Christmas Day. I may check to see if they are still open on Christmas Day and try for reservations. There will be no giant feast for the three of us, so that would at least make it memorable with my mom. At her age, I’m not sure how many more we will have together. 

We will probably assign another date to have “Christmas” at our son’s new house. At least they have a tree up and are somewhat decorated. They hope to start a family next year, and that would make it more special again. 

you know its VERY likely I was wrong regarding restaurants being open on Christmas... san diego vacationers alone plus people who just don't want to cook. But most I should say chain places will likely be closed...MERRY CHRISTMAS.....God Bless you and your family!!! When mine is together its a PARTY :-))))))) Give momma augie a smooch on the cheek for me and tell her a diehard bills fan from socal wishes her the best holiday EVER :-))) 

ahh yes Moving aka Downsizing.....bleeo lol

muppy

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, muppy said:

you know its VERY likely I was wrong regarding restaurants being open on Christmas... san diego vacationers alone plus people who just don't want to cook. But most I should say chain places will likely be closed...MERRY CHRISTMAS.....God Bless you and your family!!! When mine is together its a PARTY :-))))))) Give momma augie a smooch on the cheek for me and tell her a diehard bills fan from socal wishes her the best holiday EVER :-))) 

ahh yes Moving aka Downsizing.....bleeo lol

muppy

It’s strange, because over the years we have become the “Thanksgiving House”, with I think 23 people from multiple families this year. That was tight. We just moved to better hold events like that. Four houses down we got the great big open kitchen and family room we wanted, after cramming into the old place for Turkey Day. 

Now, Christmas Day is upon us, and we will sit around the (way too) big place with just the 3 of us sitting around looking at each other, no tree, no gifts and no feast. Christmas was THE big holiday for my family (the wife’s family leaned a little more to Easter), and this will strangely feel almost like a non-event. SOMEHOW I want to make this more special, if just for my mom. Today was, again, nothing but new house errands and workers at the house but we need to create a plan. Time to get with my out of state sisters and seek advice. They came with spouses for Thanksgiving/mom’s B-Day. 

Christmas home alone is a weird thing. If not for my mom I’d rather be volunteering at a Salvation Army or something serving other people who have far less. 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Augie said:

It’s strange, because over the years we have become the “Thanksgiving House”, with I think 23 people from multiple families this year. That was tight. We just moved to better hold events like that. Four houses down we got the great big open kitchen and family room we wanted, after cramming into the old place for Turkey Day. 

Now, Christmas Day is upon us, and we will sit around the (way too) big place with just the 3 of us sitting around looking at each other, no tree, no gifts and no feast. Christmas was THE big holiday for my family (the wife’s family leaned a little more to Easter), and this will strangely feel almost like a non-event. SOMEHOW I want to make this more special, if just for my mom. Today was, again, nothing but new house errands and workers at the house but we need to create a plan. Time to get with my out of state sisters and seek advice. They came with spouses for Thanksgiving/mom’s B-Day. 

Christmas home alone is a weird thing. If not for my mom I’d rather be volunteering at a Salvation Army or something serving other people who have far less. 

Upsizing it is....  haha my bad Congrats!!!!

I found on amazon the most adorable swirling glitter snowmen, the internal lights changes color with glitter both swirling . They used to be a Hallmark staple, then they retired making them. You seriously buy one of those, new Christmas keepsake for the new house...buy that and a pack of AAA batteries and you'll thank me. It will make your holiday instantly more festive. Maybe your mom would like it too...its kind of fun to watch 🙂delivery by Christmas I dunno

or light some candles and play Christmas music, bake some cookies  lol

You'll figure it out. Best to you!

Edit: I just realized these work in the dark not so well in daylight. might not help. 

Edited by muppy

5 hours ago, teef said:

You are not thinking pickle juice - are you?

On 12/20/2021 at 4:02 PM, Westside said:

Lol

Only the steaks on the grill. Though grilled lasagna sounds pretty good. 😆

I have had smoked lasagna - with the right sausage - it is a party in yourmouthh

1 hour ago, Augie said:

It’s strange, because over the years we have become the “Thanksgiving House”, with I think 23 people from multiple families this year. That was tight. 

Sounds like my grandparents' house.  I think it was around 30 if everyone could make it, and they usually did, for Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.  Our running joke was for Christmas they should give every family a set time to arrive.  You would come in through the garage to the kitchen and fix your plate. Then into the dining room to eat.  After eating, into the living room to get your present, then out the front door.  If you wanted to hang out and visit, well do that outside or in the unheated garage. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.