What's For Dinner?: Christmas Edition

Gugny

8 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Yum. I have really been into making dumplings this year (your ordinary Chinese pork ones), including ‘making my own dough. Have made some that have come out restaurant quality. I haven’t upped my game to your level though! 

i saw this movie in the theater years ago, and the audience was audibly groaning with hunger during the dinner scene. 

Yummmmmmm...done well there is no more melt in your mouth delicious food on the planet. Delicioso!!! I'll swap u 6 tamales for 6 dumplings LOL

I WISH!~!~!!!

Edited by muppy

2 minutes ago, muppy said:

Yummmmmmm...done well there is no more melt in your mouth delicious food on the planet. Delicioso!!! I'll swap u 6 tamales for 6 dumplings LOL

I WISH!~!~!!!

i would do that trade in a heartbeat! I love tamales. But I have never gotten up the courage to try to make them. It seems so challenging. 

16 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Yum. I have really been into making dumplings this year (your ordinary Chinese pork ones), including ‘making my own dough. Have made some that have come out restaurant quality. I haven’t upped my game to your level though! 

i saw this movie in the theater years ago, and the audience was audibly groaning with hunger during the dinner scene. 

I used store bought wonton skins for the shumai and I'm using frozen baos for the steam buns.  If you're making your own skins then you're completely at my level or higher.

I have made my own wonton wrappers a few times and while the finished product was awesome (except for the half fail soup dumplings I've attempted) I was normally left regretting the decision halfway through.  The dough is so elastic that rolling out nice round skins took me far too long. I did watch a youtube vid of a woman who ran the dough through a pasta roller and punched out perfectly round skins with a mold.

The bao dough is relatively easy but I didn't feel like portioning and rolling.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

i would do that trade in a heartbeat! I love tamales. But I have never gotten up the courage to try to make them. It seems so challenging. 

it's a labor of love. Hubby is mexican and he has done it from childhood. 3 day process not counting shopping for 12 dozen. Its crazy laborous but delicious. he makes red chili with pork. The leftover sauce/pork is great with added hominy to make a mexican soup called pozole.

merry Christmas Miyagi-san 🙂

Edited by muppy
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

When I was growing up, my family would always do the Thanksgiving dinner again - exactly.

Which was cool.  Because at Thanksgiving, we knew it wouldn't be another year.  I loved the repeat.

These days, it's ribeye, taters, salad, bread, chocolate (in some form).

This year, I am living solo and dining solo on Christmas Day.

But I love a real turkey dinner, so I will attempt to simulate a turkey dinner using boxed ingredients.

Kind of weird, but par for the weirdness of the year 2021.

Butterball sliced turkey from the deli. Stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce. We'll see how this all turns out.

IMG_0800 turkey dinner (small).JPG

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Poleshifter said:

But I love a real turkey dinner, so I will attempt to simulate a turkey dinner using boxed ingredients.

Butterball sliced turkey from the deli. Stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce. We'll see how this all turns out.

Hey, it turned out pretty well. I even went back for seconds. I hope everybody had a lovely Christmas Day.

IMG_0801 solo turkey dinner (small).JPG

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 5

On 12/25/2021 at 3:48 AM, Poleshifter said:

That's a perfectly acceptable approach. I hope you got good results.

Me... my oven is on the fritz. Try making a holiday meal without an oven. But I pulled it off. I made a turkey breast in the pressure cooker--it was amazing. And the kids raved about that funky store brand stuffing.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.