Why are we not built for cold weather?

stuvian

This board has an attention span that is about 1 game long.   Maybe 2.  

Right now it's all about "bad weather" and the refs screwing us as part of a deliberate, ongoing screw job.  

When we drop 35 on the Panthers, it will be about whatever talking point emerges from that game; the cold weather and officiating discussion will be gone.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Dear god. See my post a month ago. BUF WIND is DOUBLE others. This isn’t ANYTHING about children getting “used to cold footsies”. 

The NFL rules/play have changed since OJ Simpson played in OP!!  (NE is an anomaly—GOAT coach/QB)

Wind and rules!  Get this though your thick heads. 

Edited by Since1981

Short answer: The Super Bowl isnt played in cold weather.

And being able to run the ball and stop the run is not exclusive to cold weather. We need to be able to do those things regardless of the conditions.

8 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

Before the Bills field house was built, the team practiced outside in the weather.   That was when the Bills had a cold weather advantage.  I doubt they are "out" very much at all except the kickers who go out to learn to play the winds.  The coaches argument will be that they need the field house to teach all the intricacies of the modern game. So, the bills loose some of the former advantage of being hardened to the conditions.  Maybe the Bills should turn off the heat in the field house......

The Bills always had a Bubble, even the 90s teams had indoor practice facilities to use when needed. We also have outdoor fields back then and now.

7 hours ago, since79 said:

After The NE it sickened me to to listen Belichick address the team.  He said this is why we practice in this stuff.  Leading up to the game you prepare for what is expected.  Plan for everything.  I am curious if we practiced outside that week like the Pats.

Good question, whether we bothered to use our outdoor fields or not.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

Before the Bills field house was built, the team practiced outside in the weather.   That was when the Bills had a cold weather advantage.  I doubt they are "out" very much at all except the kickers who go out to learn to play the winds.  The coaches argument will be that they need the field house to teach all the intricacies of the modern game. So, the bills loose some of the former advantage of being hardened to the conditions.  Maybe the Bills should turn off the heat in the field house......

What year was the field house built?  I'm just curious and I really don't have a clue when that would have been.

At the end of the day we need to get better and stronger in the trenches.  Yes that will help us out exponentially in the weather element games but we still need to upgrade that area for any conditions.  Having a dominant and physical offensive line is a key component to having a Championship caliber team regardless but it allows you to play a different style of football in the cold/snow/windy conditions like the Colts and Patriots games.  It has become quite obvious at this point our offensive line might've been masked a bit by how well Allen and everybody else was in synch and defenses not having an answer for our attack last season.  I always make a point to bring up how everybody always talks about Kelly, Thurman and Andre as our big 3 on offense back in the Super Bowl years but when you go back and look at the highlights from back then try to focus on the Excellent offensive line play we also had.

21 hours ago, stuvian said:

It is becoming crystal clear that our roster is not built for winning in cold weather. We can neither run the football nor stop the run.

Both of these are hallmarks of a successful cold weather football strategy. I just don't understand how we are expecting to be successful in the post season without being built to maximize our home field advantages. 

Ed Oliver is MIA as is Star. Tired of being a turnstile and tired of losing games we should win

We got us a big husky QB who can throw a ball through a tornado.

Weather is increasingly irrelevant and equalizing across the NFL with domes and better stadiums. Very hard to "build" a team for some random game that they may see once or twice in a career. We need to adapt and get away from this idea that our players are primarily vikings built for snow in the 1980's.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.