Is this finally the year we make a big push for offense?

whorlnut

"Bethel didn’t have a scale that would register higher than 400 pounds, so when Jasper needed to monitor his progress in trying to lose weight, he’d go to the McKenzie Feed & Grain Store."

“He’d step up on our platform feed scale and customers would start coming over, gathering to see what he weighed,” said Dan Bradford, owner of the store. “We’d have a big time with it.”

"Bethel listed Jasper at 390 pounds, but he was actually quite a bit bigger than that."

LMFAO

I don't believe our offensive issues this year has to do with a lack of talent.  Execution has been the problem. We lost 3 games due to it at least.  Pitt because our punter only lined up 13 yards back instead of 15.   Tenn due to "The Slip". And NE due to dropped passes, bad penalties, and a fumble in FG range.  That's either on the players screwing up or coaching, not lack of talent IMHO.

On 12/14/2021 at 5:17 PM, whorlnut said:

Wow. I don’t even know where to start with this. Top offenses?  I guess you still think this is 2020, but all you have to do is watch games and see we have basically a one man offense right now. Our line is hot garbage. Our TE can’t catch the ball consistently. Our WRs and RBs are slow, outside of Breida. Heck, it even took half the season for them to let him play. It’s a mess. 

It’s time to admit that Beane and McD screwed the pooch with this offense. I’m sure additions will be made this off-season, but please let it be top picks and not a patch job like years past. 

True the offense is not playing to 2020 level, but it is far from hot garbage.   I guess Allen both threw and caught those 30 touchdowns.  The TE you speak of has 8 TDs.  He had one inconsistent game in the crazy wind.  Our WRs may not be burners, but Diggs had an all pro season last year, Beasley is considered one of the best in the slot, and Gabriel Davis and Sanders are pretty damn good 3rd and 4th options.  I think the biggest difference is the use of those weapons this year.  We don't run the ball enough to make teams have to respect it.  Defenses are pinning their ears back and coming after Allen with everything they have.  That is the real difference between this year and last.

That said, both the interior OL and DL need some real help and not another team's rejects.  I never said the offense was perfect and that we should go all defense.  I stated that balance would be a better option.  The defense has just as many flaws as the offense...giving up long runs has costed us multiple games.  Then there is the ACL issue with Tre.  Sometimes it takes 2 years to fully recover from that...You can't completely ignore one side of the ball...

On 12/14/2021 at 8:27 PM, RyanC883 said:

nope.  Bean and McD are making us into the Marvin Lewis Bengals.  Mediocracy is now success. 

Lewis never won a playoff game.  The Bills went to the AFCC with McDermott and Beane...Respect!

1 minute ago, atomicpwrd said:

Our TE has 500 yards and 8 TDs...He has made play after play.  Did he have a bad game against the Patriots - Yes...but it happens.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Lewis never won a playoff game.  The Bills went to the AFCC with McDermott and Beane...Respect!

Our TE has 500 yards and 8 TDs...He has made play after play.  Did he have a bad game against the Patriots - Yes...but it happens.

Everybody wants to have the next Kelce or Kittle, but even those two have had off weeks. Look at Kelce two weeks ago. He was definitely not on his game. 
Dawson came into the league with hardly any receptions in college. We all knew he was a work in progress, but the progress is looking really good so far. We have to take those bad weeks as long as we get the majority of games being very good,  which he has had this season.

26 minutes ago, ganesh said:

We need real NFL players at Tight End, and to compete with Knox and build out the depth chart. 

The Bills have tried for years to skimp by at Tight End with low-end draft picks like Derek Fine, Derek Schouman, Chris Gragg, Nick O'Leary and now Tommy Sweeney who is not athletic enough for this league. 

The Bills need another Stefon Diggs level talent at WR. Simply promoting Gabe Davis and brining back 33-year old Cole Beasley will not work. To get a WR that can make an impact, the Bills need to go First Round. Not 3rd and below. 

5 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

We need real NFL players at Tight End, and to compete with Knox and build out the depth chart. 

The Bills have tried for years to skimp by at Tight End with low-end draft picks like Derek Fine, Derek Schouman, Chris Gragg, Nick O'Leary and now Tommy Sweeney who is not athletic enough for this league. 

The Bills need another Stefon Diggs level talent at WR. Simply promoting Gabe Davis and brining back 33-year old Cole Beasley will not work. To get a WR that can make an impact, the Bills need to go First Round. Not 3rd and below. 

I agree with the TE aspect. The Bills need another weapon there. Isaiah Likely would be a great get in the draft. I’d also like to see them give Stevenson some burn with his deep speed. I really think this is what they are lacking. 

22 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I agree with the TE aspect. The Bills need another weapon there. Isaiah Likely would be a great get in the draft. I’d also like to see them give Stevenson some burn with his deep speed. I really think this is what they are lacking. 

I don’t think Stevenson is as fast as advertised.

He ran ~4.40-4.41 in pre combine testing and didn’t do much of note in the Senior Bowl practices.

He is a long-shot to ever earn playing time in my opinion.

He’s Marcus Easley all over again. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/18/2021 at 1:24 PM, reddogblitz said:

I am hoping for this:

1  - BPA

2 - BPA

3 - BPA

4 - BPA

5 - BPA

6 - BPA

7 - BPA

BPA is relative. I think the best GM's draft combining value and need. For example, the Bills if they pick at pick 32 (optimistic thinking) and they identify Guard, DT, and RB as their top front line needs and WR, CB and Safety as their top depth needs and at pick then they have to weight their frontline and depth needs vs what is available to them at their pick. 

For example if the best Guard available is ranked 50th, the best DT is ranked 48th and the best RB is ranked 56th on their board then reaching for need is foolish esp if a WR they have ranked 22nd or a CB they have ranked 24th are both on the board. BUT if a Guard they have ranked 30th is on the board and they have a WR ranked 24th it makes sense to take the guard as it is a more pressing need and still a fairly good value for their pick even if the guard isn't technically the BPA.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.