Train Horn Haters - Alternate Ideas?

JohnBonhamRocks

On 12/10/2021 at 11:44 AM, benderbender said:

The Mighty Taco's "Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayo!"

Back in the day, that was the most awesome thing. They'd play it during a timeout, and the whole freaking stadium would just shout it back and start dancing. But they'd only do it once or maybe twice a game.

On 12/10/2021 at 4:22 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

MORE train horn.

Every defensive down.

The crowd needs all the prodding that they can get.    

I sit near the top of the lower bowl and even though everyone stands,   most of them make zero noise.    

The place is at about 25% noise capacity this season.

Bingo!  I've had the same observation this season. The homefield advantage isn't what it used to be.  My theory is alot of the older fans have been drifted away from going to the games over the recent years and it is a much younger crowd who probably weren't even born yet during the Super Bowl years when Rich Stadium would truly be rocking.  

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Too lazy to cheer, and too stupid to realize they can have a better view, if they would just sit down.

Half the time they don't watch the game. People around me come about halfway through 1st quarter...head back out about midway through 2nd quarter for more beer and don't seem them again until late in the 4th or until the following game. 

To the younger crowd it seems the game day experiece is all about paying for overpriced beer instead of the actual game. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Half the time they don't watch the game. People around me come about halfway through 1st quarter...head back out about midway through 2nd quarter for more beer and don't seem them again until late in the 4th or until the following game. 

To the younger crowd it seems the game day experiece is all about paying for overpriced beer instead of the actual game. 

There is a certain breed of "sports fan" that is at the game to feed off the energy, be out with friends, it's something to do...get drunk....it's that type of thing for them.

Sabres games have been cursed with these types for years now.

I always laugh at the number of women I see, obviously dragged to the game by their husband/boyfriend sitting next to them, who ARE READING A BOOK WHILE AT THE SABRES GAME.

LOL

• Thank you (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

There is a certain breed of "sports fan" that is at the game to feed off the energy, be out with friends, it's something to do...get drunk....it's that type of thing for them.

Sabres games have been cursed with these types for years now.

I always laugh at the number of women I see, obviously dragged to the game by their husband/boyfriend sitting next to them, who ARE READING A BOOK WHILE AT THE SABRES GAME.

LOL

Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky but I just don't get why people would go to the game and not actually watch the game.

-Get up early in a Sunday

-Ticket price/parking

-Pregame alcohol

-Food

-Overpriced alcohol in games

Dropping a few hundred to sit outside in the elements. Just stay home....make some chili. Have friends over. 

2 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky but I just don't get why people would go to the game and not actually watch the game.

-Get up early in a Sunday

-Ticket price/parking

-Pregame alcohol

-Food

-Overpriced alcohol in games

Dropping a few hundred to sit outside in the elements. Just stay home....make some chili. Have friends over. 

Well, you know, it's the excitement, the energy, the crowd....I guess.

I agree with you.  There is a long list of negatives to overcome to actually go to one of these games, and if you aren't passionate about the game in the first place, not sure why you would do it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Well, you know, it's the excitement, the energy, the crowd....I guess.

I agree with you.  There is a long list of negatives to overcome to actually go to one of these games, and if you aren't passionate about the game in the first place, not sure why you would do it.

For the younger/trendier crowd it's a place to be, a place to be seen, a place to take a bunch of pics to upload on Social Media.  I like the aspect of running into friends at games but I'm ultimately there to watch the game itself.  Each passing year it loses a little bit of the gameday magic for me personally.  I think mostly because the atmosphere has slowly but steadily changed over the years.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.