Someone please explain me what Buffalo's defense was doing on the TD Run????

Billsfan1972

Which was 3 plays after the terrible fumble by Breida (again a terrible call on first down), when the Bills were marching with the wind.

Jones had not attempted a pass & it is 3rd & 5 against the wind (Bob Seger anyone?).  

Peyton Manning hit the nail on the head.....  No receivers spread out and 8 Patriots on the line vs. 4 Bills and LB's & DB's looking ready for a pass downfield.

Sorry I'm not about X&O's, but what were the Bills thinking NE was going to do?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Which was 3 plays after the terrible fumble by Breida (again a terrible call on first down), when the Bills were marching with the wind.

Jones had not attempted a pass & it is 3rd & 5 against the wind (Bob Seger anyone?).  

Peyton Manning hit the nail on the head.....  No receivers spread out and 8 Patriots on the line vs. 4 Bills and LB's & DB's looking ready for a pass downfield.

That early in the game you would still be expecting a possible pass. It was just poor execution, nothing terribly wrong with the lineup.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Seemed like the Bills coaches kept expecting a tricky pass play. They over coached this game. Defense still held them to 14 points but the coaches didn’t do a good job on either side of the ball.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, Dennis Edmonds said:

Trumaine Edmunds over ran his gap as he very often does, leaving a beautiful lane to run through

I don't blame Edmunds on this play. I'm watching how Dodson takes on the block. He gets his head inside the FB which tells me that's his responsibility. Milano seems lost. He's 5 yards down field as the RB is hitting the hole and is way out of the play. I'm not sure what he's doing.

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Actually let me change my answer from Dodson to Epenesa. I'm not sure what he's doing there. Also why is Epenesa on the field?

They ran right at Epenesa and Dodson though. That's bad coaching by the Bills.

They stopped the Pats 3 & out in the first 2 drives with Jerry, Star, Ed & Groot...

I guess they were thinking 6 plays over 30 mins was too much for Star and Jerry. 

Edited by Motorin'
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Hyde got overly aggressive, he's the last line of defense, and got out of position to take a good angle to the ballcarrier. That too me is the biggest error, sure others over pursued or were moved, but that can't happen as the deep safety.

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

21 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I don't blame Edmunds on this play. I'm watching how Dodson takes on the block. He gets his head inside the FB which tells me that's his responsibility. Milano seems lost. He's 5 yards down field as the RB is hitting the hole and is way out of the play. I'm not sure what he's doing.

WTF?  Dodson was the only person on the field who didn’t blow their assignment.  Epenesa ran himself out of the play completely giving up the edge.  Dodson took on the FB and forced the play into Edmunds’s gap.  Edmunds ran clear past his gap.  Milano took a terrible angle, and then the Safety (Hyde IIRC) was nowhere to be found.

It looked like a Chinese fire drill.

4 minutes ago, First Round Bust said:

previous play was a run to the left IIRC, on this next one Hyde over-commited to another end-sweep type of run and when the cutback happened he was way out of position to recover in time...Pats RB have a history of good games against us

It’s possible that Epenesa was supposed to dive to the inside and Hyde was going to back fill the edge.  That would have been fine had Edmunds not hit the wrong gap.  The more I think about it, this seems the most likely explanation.

Edited by Billl
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Billl said:

WTF?  Dodson was the only person on the field who didn’t blow their assignment.  Epenesa ran himself out of the play completely giving up the edge.  Dodson took on the FB and forced the play into Edmunds’s gap.  Edmunds ran clear past his gap.  Milano took a terrible angle, and then the Safety (Hyde IIRC) was nowhere to be found.

It looked like a Chinese fire drill.

I'm just looking at how Dodson takes on the FB with the inside shoulder. That's typically a sign of gap responsibility. Edmunds and Milano honestly I don't know what they're doing. Milano is way down field, the 3 LBS actually end up behind each other, which isn't good. Edmunds behind Dodson, Milano behind Edmunds.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.