MYTH Busted: "The Defense couldn't stop the Run"

DrDawkinstein

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Picking nits, but 1:55 of that 3min difference was their last possession of killing the clock, not actual game time. And the Bills had 10 possessions to the Pat's 9. Coulda been better, dont get me wrong, but not as bad as it looks on paper.

They were killing the clock all night. They only had 3 passing attempts. 

What’s very funny is that gun to my head, I would agree with @DrDawkinsteinand @Alphadawg7 that the offense is more to blame for last nights’ loss than the defense. In fact, if that was the topic title, I would have just agreed.

However, the topic title is about if the defense could stop the run. The answer, of course, is no. Allowing 4.8 YPC with 11 in the box is not stopping the run. Not by a long shot.

And for anyone who thinks the defense “played well enough to win,” when was the last time our defense carried us to a victory? They’ve had some great games, against David Mills and Jacoby Brissett, but when was our last “stop them here and it’s over” game? 2019? 

The Bills D had some good moments and bad moments. They had a critically bad moment, honestly probably the worst moment of the game, when they let them burst through 11 guys for a long score. Another horrible moment when the Pats ate up a ton of the 3rd Q when we had the wind. None of this excuses the rest of the idiots for their also bad moments. But Leslie Frazier and McDermott are sick today that a one dimensional offense outmuscled us and ran the ball down our throat for 60 minutes. They are sick that Nathan Peterman could have played QB and we would have still lost. And BB is smiling.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, FireChans said:

What’s very funny is that gun to my head, I would agree with @DrDawkinsteinand @Alphadawg7 that the offense is more to blame for last nights’ loss than the defense. In fact, if that was the topic title, I would have just agreed.

However, the topic title is about if the defense could stop the run. The answer, of course, is no. Allowing 4.8 YPC with 11 in the box is not stopping the run. Not by a long shot.

And for anyone who thinks the defense “played well enough to win,” when was the last time our defense carried us to a victory? They’ve had some great games, against David Mills and Jacoby Brissett, but when was our last “stop them here and it’s over” game? 2019? 

The Bills D had some good moments and bad moments. They had a critically bad moment, honestly probably the worst moment of the game, when they let them burst through 11 guys for a long score. Another horrible moment when the Pats ate up a ton of the 3rd Q when we had the wind. None of this excuses the rest of the idiots for their also bad moments. But Leslie Frazier and McDermott are sick today that a one dimensional offense outmuscled us and ran the ball down our throat for 60 minutes. They are sick that Nathan Peterman could have played QB and we would have still lost. And BB is smiling.

I found the defensive performance very “meh”. If we were rating out of 10, I’d say 6/10. I think you absolutely have to weigh in weather conditions and the fact they only passed 3 times and just the entire situation. The Pats played an offense that was the equivalent of having an emergency QB in the game. If that were actually the case, how many points should they have held them to? I would have said less than 10 and certainly no TD.

I thought they did a very good job stopping them early though, and give them credit for that. But beyond that, it was very up and down and I would have expected more considering the situation. The long drive for the FG was a killer.

Saying all that, I certainly put more blame on the offense. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

So 3-and-outs on half the possessions is embarrassing. Got it.

It should be more than half the possessions. When you know the run is coming and you still can’t stop them, it’s embarrassing. 200+ yards on the ground when the whole universe knows the run is coming is a flat out embarrassment. End of story. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, appoo said:

That was a MASSIVE OLine they played, and a very well coached OLine. As OP stated the defense was generally successful. 

Belichak ***** sucked last night, and all the praise is BS. 

Pats didn't win, a superior team shot itself to death

I point back to my other post in the thread detailing 13-15 plays that I think were objectively bad by the defense. 

Belichick sucked how? His team out-played ours primarily by out-muscling ours. Our D struggled with their running game and their D largely shut down our O, which also shut itself down with poor blocking, drops, and coaching. 

I think NE* won the game by being the superior team and Buffalo shot itself in its collective foot. 

5 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

It should be more than half the possessions. When you know the run is coming and you still can’t stop them, it’s embarrassing. 200+ yards on the ground when the whole universe knows the run is coming is a flat out embarrassment. End of story. 

You realize there’s a whole ass other team out there right?

41 minutes ago, FFadpecr said:

Exactly.

Bill Belichick is a game-planning genius/mastermind and the greatest coach in the history of team sports by a country mile, there isn't even a close 2nd. 

Belichick is the true GOAT of Football, NOT Tom Brady. 2021 and next 15 years with Mac Jones will prove that without a doubt. Everything Brady did in NE was a byproduct of Belichick - everything. Belichick is exposing Tom Brady for what he is - a System QB.

That System QB won last year’s Super Bowl outside the System. 

1 minute ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I point back to my other post in the thread detailing 13-15 plays that I think were objectively bad by the defense. 

Belichick sucked how? His team out-played ours primarily by out-muscling ours. Our D struggled with their running game and their D largely shut down our O, which also shut itself down with poor blocking, drops, and coaching. 

I think NE* won the game by being the superior team and Buffalo shot itself in its collective foot. 

Because Bill got freakin lucky. without a 65 yard run where basically everything had to go right, they lose.

hope isn’t a strategy and yet it’s the one Belichak employed. 

I give him very little credit for simply hoping and praying the Bills would mistakes

1 minute ago, appoo said:

You realize there’s a whole ass other team out there right?

No excuses. The wind was an extra defender last night, and we blew it. All they had to do was stop the run, that’s it. They couldn’t do it, they failed. Our team is full of a bunch soft players. Football is about being mean and nasty. Thankfully we have one of the meanest most passionate grind them out QBs in the league. Sadly the rest of the team should be ashamed of themselves. 

3 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

That System QB won last year’s Super Bowl outside the System. 

LOLOL the system QB went to the best supporting cast team humanly possible. Imagine if Josh had that D line, Godwin, Evans, and Gronk. 

4 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

No excuses. The wind was an extra defender last night, and we blew it. All they had to do was stop the run, that’s it. They couldn’t do it, they failed. Our team is full of a bunch soft players. Football is about being mean and nasty. Thankfully we have one of the meanest most passionate grind them out QBs in the league. Sadly the rest of the team should be ashamed of themselves. 

LOLOL the system QB went to the best supporting cast team humanly possible. Imagine if Josh had that D line, Godwin, Evans, and Gronk. 

I hate Tom Brady with the passion of a thousand suns. But c’mon man, he’s obviously the GOAT. 

• Disagree 2

2 minutes ago, FFadpecr said:

He only needed 4 Hall of Fame pass-catching weapons combined with a Top 5 O-Line.

That's like giving Kevin Durant credit for winning with Golden State. Hint: Not legit.

The QB gets an asterisk when he purposely stacks the deck with a fool-proof Superteam.

Let me know what Brady goes to the Jets. Maybe I will change my mind about him. 

3 minutes ago, FFadpecr said:

He only needed 4 Hall of Fame pass-catching weapons combined with a Top 5 O-Line.

That's like giving Kevin Durant credit for winning with Golden State. Hint: Not legit.

The QB gets an asterisk when he purposely stacks the deck with a fool-proof Superteam.

Ok because that super team won the Super Bowl the year prior without him? Or did they go 7-9? 

I hope if Allen wins the Super Bowl with a good supporting cast you and others don’t apply this “logic”.

Just now, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Ok because that super team won the Super Bowl the year prior without him? Or did they go 7-9? 

I hope if Allen wins the Super Bowl with a good supporting cast you and others don’t apply this “logic”.

Brady is a good QB, even a great QB, but he isn’t the GOAT. He has played with one of the best coaches of all time and now plays on a loaded to the T team. Yes the Bucs underwhelmed because their prior QB was absolutely abysmal. If you put Allen on the Bucs team they go undefeated easily. Hands down. 

9 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

its not an excuse, it’s a reason.

People knew exactly how Mike Tyson was going to punch them and almost no one was able to stop it.

the pats legitimately have one of the best set of Olines, went with 6 OL, a Big TE, a FB, and a massive WR who was constantly cracking down.  And finally two really good, powerful RBs.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to stop that kind of power attack?

1 minute ago, FFadpecr said:

Tom Brady isn't, and never will be, the GOAT.

Bill Belichick has always been, is, and always will be the true GOAT of Football. Brady was his nice little system puppet, that's all.

Belichick is the GOAT HC.

Brady is the GOAT QB. 

We have one season with the two on different teams. It resulted in NE* out of the playoffs and Brady winning it all. 

2 minutes ago, appoo said:

its not an excuse, it’s a reason.

People knew exactly how Mike Tyson was going to punch them and almost no one was able to stop it.

the pats legitimately have one of the best set of Olines, went with 6 OL, a Big TE, a FB, and a massive WR who was constantly cracking down.  And finally two really good, powerful RBs.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to stop that kind of power attack?

So what do we do? Roll over, throw up our hands? Why is it our team isn’t balanced enough to stop physical teams? How is it that good teams can go 16-0 , 15-1, 14-2, 13-3 , but we can’t do it? I’m so tired of our terrible talent evaluation. 

4 minutes ago, FFadpecr said:

The super team the year prior had Gronk and Antonio Brown and Tristan Wirfs? Oh wait....they didn't!

Brady didn't win the Super Bowl last year with a "good" supporting cast....he won with a "historic, all-time, fool-proof Superteam" supporting cast.

There's "good" and then there's that. 

That fool-proof super team lost 5 games and didn’t win its division.

Edit: I can say with certainty Tom Brady has nothing to do with Buffalo’s struggles on run defense to date. 

Edited by JohnBonhamRocks

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.