Democracy’s Fiery Ordeal: The War in Ukraine 🇺🇦

Tiberius

11 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Ha! I read UK as Great Britain. 😳

Pretend it's 1940 and Great Britain is being pressed by the Blitz and our Conservative isolationists were saying, "Mind our own business" 

Murrow remained in London after the outbreak of the Second World War and his eyewitness reports on the Blitz made him a national figure in the United States. On 10th September 1940 he reported: "We could see little men shovelling those fire bombs into the river. One burned for a few minutes like a beacon right in the middle of a bridge. Finally those white flames all went out. No one bothers about the white light, it's only when it turns yellow that a real fire has started. I must have seen well over a hundred fire bombs come down and only three small fires were started. The incendiaries aren't so bad if there is someone there to deal with them, but those oil bombs present more difficulties. As I watched those white fires flame up and die down, watched the yellow blazes grow dull and disappear, I thought, what a puny effort is this to burn a great city."

49 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Pretend it's 1940 and Great Britain is being pressed by the Blitz and our Conservative isolationists were saying, "Mind our own business" 

Murrow remained in London after the outbreak of the Second World War and his eyewitness reports on the Blitz made him a national figure in the United States. On 10th September 1940 he reported: "We could see little men shovelling those fire bombs into the river. One burned for a few minutes like a beacon right in the middle of a bridge. Finally those white flames all went out. No one bothers about the white light, it's only when it turns yellow that a real fire has started. I must have seen well over a hundred fire bombs come down and only three small fires were started. The incendiaries aren't so bad if there is someone there to deal with them, but those oil bombs present more difficulties. As I watched those white fires flame up and die down, watched the yellow blazes grow dull and disappear, I thought, what a puny effort is this to burn a great city."

Some suggest we should pretend its more like 1914 when various alliances and treaties among nations brought those parties into a conflict that would be called Word War I.  Triggered by the assassination of an Archduke when soon after Austria-Hungary declaring war against Serbia followed by countries allied via treaty with no direct interests getting involved in one side or the other.  Millions died as a result of the killing of one man most had never heard of before.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

Tibs

It’s your opinion that Putin is interested in marching on Paris? Okie Dokie 

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Tibs

Nah, more likely Tbilisi, Kyiv, and Transnistria. 

If those go well, maybe he’ll want Tallinn, Riga, and Vilnius too. 

Edited by ChiGoose
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Tibs

Nope.  Maybe Warsaw and Prague though.  And that is insane.  Former Soviet satellites hate Russia.   For very good reason.   They want nothing to do with them and their ultra corrupt way of life.  Not to mention the whole slave to Russia thing.  We have a economic interest in a healthy Europe if that's not enough.   

Sorry for answering for you Tibs.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/12/2023 at 9:09 AM, B-Man said:

THANKS BIDEN: U.S. Weapons Sent To Ukraine Are Now Being Found in Iran

by Kyle Becker

Military aid provided by the United States and its NATO allies to Ukraine is being found in the hands of Iranians, according to a new CNN report. “Russia has been capturing some of the US and NATO-provided weapons and equipment left on the battlefield in Ukraine and sending them to Iran, where the US believes Tehran will try to reverse-engineer the systems,” four sources familiar with the matter told CNN. “Over the last year, US, NATO and other Western officials have seen several instances of Russian forces seizing smaller, shoulder-fired weapons equipment including Javelin anti-tank and Stinger anti-aircraft systems

https://trendingpoliticsnews.com/u-s-nato-weapons-knab/

https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/10/politics/russia-iran-ukraine-weapons/index.html

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, redtail hawk said:

Nice. referencing Bush War mongering.  

1 hour ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Some suggest we should pretend its more like 1914 when various alliances and treaties among nations brought those parties into a conflict that would be called Word War I.  Triggered by the assassination of an Archduke when soon after Austria-Hungary declaring war against Serbia followed by countries allied via treaty with no direct interests getting involved in one side or the other.  Millions died as a result of the killing of one man most had never heard of before.

More people would think Franz Ferdinand is a Disney character than the who he was.

https://disney.fandom.com/wiki/Ferdinand_the_Bull_(character)

Even less remember the name of the piece of crap anarchist that killed him to get all that going.

Edited by Chris farley

3 hours ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

Nope.  Maybe Warsaw and Prague though.  And that is insane.  Former Soviet satellites hate Russia.   For very good reason.   They want nothing to do with them and their ultra corrupt way of life.  Not to mention the whole slave to Russia thing.  We have a economic interest in a healthy Europe if that's not enough.   

Sorry for answering for you Tibs.

So you agree then…this is NOT analogous to WW2. 
Thanks! 

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

So once again, you believe Putin will be marching on Paris? Let me know when because I’m planning to go to London to see the Bills in October. 😉

No, I didn't say that.  I think he wants Poland and possibly some of the Balkans.  I think we've weakened him so much that he can't, at this point.  Bravo...

13 hours ago, redtail hawk said:

No, I didn't say that.  I think he wants Poland and possibly some of the Balkans.  I think we've weakened him so much that he can't, at this point.  Bravo...

I'm not clear why Putin would be gunning for Poland mainly because empires and imperialism are typically driven by the desire to acquire resources, not just territory for the sake of more land.  As Russia is a resource rich country with a large land area already and Poland's main resource is coal reserves and production I don't see any strategic reason to go to the trouble.  And while the former Soviet Union engaged in gobbling up nations of Eastern Europe after WW2 that ended with the dissolution of the Union.  I'm aware of the theory being tossed about that Putin is obsessed with re-assembling the former Soviet Union but I think that's less fact and more fiction peddled by people using it to serve their own purposes rather than it being an accurate assessment of some policy objective.  For one, none of these countries are economic powerhouses and anybody taking them on would need to sink lots of cash into them.  Right now its the German's doing that though the EU and the Euro common currency.   Why not just wait until Germany gets tired of subsidizing everyone else and things fall apart to make any move?  Why start a fight?       

Poland?  They were never part of the USSR and are in NATO.  No it seems he wanted to reconstitute the USSR and started (continued) with Ukraine, who he overestimated the degree to which they wanted to rejoin Russia.  He was sorely mistaken and has no chance to enter into a war with any other country.

• Thank you (+1) 1

So in your world view we needed to first watch him level a country, displace millions of innocent people, and kill thousands of young men and women just to make this point? Wouldn’t it have been far better to stop him BEFORE any of that happened?