Jump to content

Changing the gameplan due to weather


Miyagi-Do Karate
 Share

Recommended Posts

You out of towners crack me up.  It is going to rain in the morning with 25 mph winds(gusts up to 50 mph) but winds diminishing in the afternoon, temps drop dramatically as they start out on the 50s and will be in the low 30s by the afternoon.  By game time winds will be about 15 mph, and a chance of flurries.  If we pick up an inch or two of snow I will be surprised.  Channel 2 especially Patrick Hammer likes to spew this crap all the time and get everybody worked up but look at the models.  They are not that bad.  Josh Allen and the bazooka he has attached to his right arm will be just fine.  

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

This isn’t another weather or dome thread— I promise!
 

in light of what is expected to be extraordinarily windy conditions on MNF, how do you think each team’s roster and gameplan changes, if at all? 
 

Here are a few thoughts I have had:

 

1) patriots defense goes back to man. From everything I have read, the Pats have gone increasingly zone (cover 2 shell, cover 4) over the last several weeks. With heavy wind, I would expect they could revert to man and loaded boxes— taking away the run and everything short and actually giving us the deep stuff.

 

2) Bills change up personnel and focus on run game. I am predicting that the Bills for the first time activate DS, Moss, and Breida for the same game, and that we may see two of the three in the backfield at the same time. This may be stating the obvious, but out of necessity, I would expect a run heavy offense. Lots of two TE formations.  Lots of sweeps. Designed QB runs. 
 

 

 

When running is our weakness and passing is our strength, why would the Pats choose to focus on our running?   Because of a little wind?

 

I personally don't expect loaded boxes.  

  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Gordio said:

You out of towners crack me up.  It is going to rain in the morning with 25 mph winds(gusts up to 50 mph) but winds diminishing in the afternoon, temps drop dramatically as they start out on the 50s and will be in the low 30s by the afternoon.  By game time winds will be about 15 mph, and a chance of flurries.  If we pick up an inch or two of snow I will be surprised.  Channel 2 especially Patrick Hammer likes to spew this crap all the time and get everybody worked up but look at the models.  They are not that bad.  Josh Allen and the bazooka he has attached to his right arm will be just fine.  

thanks gordio. I say this very lovingly what you wrote was exactly what my buffalo born and raised mother would say to me constantly......weather was not a huge worry to my mom LOL...sooo matter of fact about it ...HA! I called her once to ask about a weather report Id heard here about Batavia...she said well snow is up to the mailbox its not too bad.....I say MOM the mailbox is 4 feet from the ground...she say yeah but the winds not blowing its just snow its not too bad.......

 

thanks for the jog down memory lane :-))))

 

 

and as far as Josh and his arm OH YES You're right there too.

 

m

Edited by Muppy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Gordio said:

You out of towners crack me up.  It is going to rain in the morning with 25 mph winds(gusts up to 50 mph) but winds diminishing in the afternoon, temps drop dramatically as they start out on the 50s and will be in the low 30s by the afternoon.  By game time winds will be about 15 mph, and a chance of flurries.  If we pick up an inch or two of snow I will be surprised.  Channel 2 especially Patrick Hammer likes to spew this crap all the time and get everybody worked up but look at the models.  They are not that bad.  Josh Allen and the bazooka he has attached to his right arm will be just fine.  

Okay, but what happens when the wet ball thrown by Bazooka Josh goes off our receivers hands, like it did the last time we played in the rain?

  • Agree 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Okay, but what happens when the wet ball thrown by Bazooka Josh goes off our receivers hands, like it did the last time we played in the rain?

True. Yep. and to train for wet balls and wind yeah Im sure they try but game day is a whole different ballgame

Edited by Muppy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

  People act like the Pats* have an advantage in this game due to the forecast and that they are this great running team, while we're horrible at it.

 

  We rank 11th in the league in rushing at 118.3 YPG, the Pats* are behind us in 12th place averaging 115.3 YPG. Allen has the monster arm to combat the wind, Jones doesn't. Allen can take off if nothing is there, Jones has 71 rushing yards on the year.

 

  Also our defense is ranked higher than theirs in almost every category. They are going to have to combat, what I assume, is going to be a extremely loud stadium when on offense. I would say we have most of the advantages, not them.

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS
  • Thank you (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Gordio said:

You out of towners crack me up.  It is going to rain in the morning with 25 mph winds(gusts up to 50 mph) but winds diminishing in the afternoon, temps drop dramatically as they start out on the 50s and will be in the low 30s by the afternoon.  By game time winds will be about 15 mph, and a chance of flurries.  If we pick up an inch or two of snow I will be surprised.  Channel 2 especially Patrick Hammer likes to spew this crap all the time and get everybody worked up but look at the models.  They are not that bad.  Josh Allen and the bazooka he has attached to his right arm will be just fine.  

I think winds may be higher than 15mph...if only 15 then weather won't have any effect on the game...20-30 then there's an issue

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Okay, but what happens when the wet ball thrown by Bazooka Josh goes off our receivers hands, like it did the last time we played in the rain?

 

It may be that the weather hurts our passing game.  I just don't think Belichick will game plan for that.  I think he'll try to limit our medium-to-deep game like other defensive coaches have.  I don't think he'll load the box, assuming we can't pass because of the weather.

 

And I don't think Daboll is going to scheme up some amazing running game because of the weather.  We're not built for that.   We're built to pass.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Gordio said:

You out of towners crack me up.  It is going to rain in the morning with 25 mph winds(gusts up to 50 mph) but winds diminishing in the afternoon, temps drop dramatically as they start out on the 50s and will be in the low 30s by the afternoon.  By game time winds will be about 15 mph, and a chance of flurries.  If we pick up an inch or two of snow I will be surprised.  Channel 2 especially Patrick Hammer likes to spew this crap all the time and get everybody worked up but look at the models.  They are not that bad.  Josh Allen and the bazooka he has attached to his right arm will be just fine.  


i hope you are right. But the forecast now is not your “normal” sort of weather. It’s calling for sort of a rare “high wind event.” 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Muppy said:

thanks gordio. I say this very lovingly what you wrote was exactly what my buffalo born and raised mother would say to me constantly......weather was not a huge worry to my mom LOL...sooo matter of fact about it ...HA! I called her once to ask about a weather report Id heard here about Batavia...she said well snow is up to the mailbox its not too bad.....I say MOM the mailbox is 4 feet from the ground...she say yeah but the winds not blowing its just snow its not too bad.......

 

thanks for the jog down memory lane :-))))

 

 

and as far as Josh and his arm OH YES You're right there too.

 

m

 

Yeah, Buffalonians have a different attitude about snow.  

 

I was living in Seattle running a bunch of restaurants several winters ago and surprised when I started getting reports that my restaurant managers weren't opening their restaurants due to snow.  I got into my SUV, drove to multiple locations in a full 3 inches of snow, and was entirely perplexed.

 

Another time, the Seattle area was largely closed down because a local weather event dubbed, "Snowmaggedon."  I was in Buffalo at the time and showed a video of Snowmaggedon to my nephew who commented, "Snowmaggedon?  Hmm.  We call that Tuesday."  

 

Hopefully Josh loves this weather more than Mac.

  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

 

Yeah, Buffalonians have a different attitude about snow.  

 

I was living in Seattle running a bunch of restaurants several winters ago and surprised when I started getting reports that my restaurant managers weren't opening their restaurants due to snow.  I got into my SUV, drove to multiple locations in a full 3 inches of snow, and was entirely perplexed.

 

Another time, the Seattle area was largely closed down because a local weather event dubbed, "Snowmaggedon."  I was in Buffalo at the time and showed a video of Snowmaggedon to my nephew who commented, "Snowmaggedon?  Hmm.  We call that Tuesday."  

 

Hopefully Josh loves this weather more than Mac.

snowmageddon LOL OH THE DRAMA though lol.......yeah there's some of my mother in me too :-)) hahaaa

 

m

29 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:


i hope you are right. But the forecast now is not your “normal” sort of weather. It’s calling for sort of a rare “high wind event.” 

A rare high wind event for Orchard Park means what exactly though....? Can't be the usual gusts or straight flag either direction.....hmm I dunno

Edited by Muppy
  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

I think if there are winds of 20-30 mph it favors Josh Allen over Mac Jones.

 

It is possible they dress all 3 RBs, especially if Gilliam is knocked up, otherwise doubt it.


Knocked up? Reggie short for Regina?

 

Agreed though. Allen is supposed to have possibly the best arm in the NFL. This is a game his special arm and legs should provide the Bills with advantages. 

  • Haha (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:


Knocked up? Reggie short for Regina?

 

Agreed though. Allen is supposed to have possibly the best arm in the NFL. This is a game his special arm and legs should provide the Bills with advantages. 

Regina/Reggie isn't sure what side of the fence they're on yet!

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower
  • Haha (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:


Knocked up? Reggie short for Regina?

 

Agreed though. Allen is supposed to have possibly the best arm in the NFL. This is a game his special arm and legs should provide the Bills with advantages. 


i love how everyone thinks Josh is Ike Uncle Rico, and can throw the ball

over the mountains. No one can throw an accurate pass more than 5 yards in 60 MPH wind gusts! Even in 20

MPH winds, go and watch that Ravens/Bills playoff game— it was horrible. 40 attempts for 200 yards passing. 
 

i just think that if Daboll doesn’t specifically gameplan for this weather, it’s going to be a sloppy mess on offense for us. Errant throws, dropped balls, etc. 

 

napoleon dynamite rock throw GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

 

  People act like the Pats* have an advantage in this game due to the forecast and that they are this great running team, while we're horrible at it.

 

  We rank 11th in the league in rushing at 118.3 YPG, the Pats* are behind us in 12th place averaging 115.3 YPG. Allen has the monster arm to combat the wind, Jones doesn't. Allen can take off if nothing is there, Jones has 71 rushing yards on the year.

 

  Also our defense is ranked higher than theirs in almost every category. They are going to have to combat, what I assume, is going to be a extremely loud stadium when on offense. I would say we have most of the advantages, not them.

Yeah but Fox put Mac Jones picture up instead of Josh. 

 

Doomed or something 

  • Haha (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:


i love how everyone thinks Josh is Ike Uncle Rico, and can throw the ball

over the mountains. No one can throw an accurate pass more than 5 yards in 60 MPH wind gusts! Even in 20

MPH winds, go and watch that Ravens/Bills playoff game— it was horrible. 40 attempts for 200 yards passing. 
 

i just think that if Daboll doesn’t specifically gameplan for this weather, it’s going to be a sloppy mess on offense for us. Errant throws, dropped balls, etc. 

 

napoleon dynamite rock throw GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment


Agreed in that yes of course Daboll needs to gameplan with the forecast in mind.
 

But my point is less “Josh has an Uncle Rico arm” and more “Josh’s arm and legs in whatever bad weather should be an advantage as compared to Mac Jones”.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On September 26th, 2021 the Bills hosted the Washington Football Team at Highmark Stadium. Winds that day were in the 20-30 mph range the entire game. Josh Allen threw for 358 yards and 4 touchdowns. Mitch Trubisky threw for 1 yard.

 

Throw the ball all over the Pats, please. Over and over and over and over and over

 

https://www.wunderground.com/history/daily/us/ny/south-cheektowaga/KBUF/date/2021-9-26

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...