CFL radio host fired for criticizing Edmonton Elks GM.

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I guess freedom of speech stopped at the Alberta border. What a crazy thing. How sensitive are people? I thought that the media was there to provide opinions. It’s not like the guy has been doing an incredible job.

5 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

I guess freedom of speech stopped at the Alberta border. What a crazy thing. How sensitive are people? I thought that the media was there to provide opinions. It’s not like the guy has been doing an incredible job.

So he was arrested then?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Warcodered said:

So he was arrested then?

I understand your point, because it’s not like he was fined or prosecuted, but I think the media should be allowed some more freedom in regards to speaking about a team. Individuals are individuals, and I think they should be allowed to speak their mind when it comes to the feelings of a team. He was an employee of an affiliate, not an employee of the team.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

I understand your point, because it’s not like he was fined or prosecuted, but I think the media should be allowed some more freedom in regards to speaking about a team. Individuals are individuals, and I think they should be allowed to speak their mind when it comes to the feelings of a team. He was an employee of an affiliate, not an employee of the team.

Ya think? 
The media should be allowed SOME freedom? 

20 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

I hate to be that guy and I am a huge freedom of speech guy, freedom for everyone, including those I disagree.

However, FoS is a government-citizen thing.  This is corporate.

EDIT:  @MiltonWaddams but don't get my caveat wrong above, Milton, because it full fledge sucks what they did.

...and people don't like that.  

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

Interesting topic.  I’m pretty sure Wood, Murphy, Brown, Tasker, Glab etc. would be fired for criticizing the Bills.  It’s embarrassing how positive the Bills coverage is on the Bills network.  I’ve been impressed overall at how much freedom the NFL network announcers, Warner, Mcginnest, GMF etc to criticize the NFL.  Shows savvy by the NFL, they know their viewers would turn elsewhere for unbiased reporting. Sometimes it’s almost as if the NFL network announcers have been mandated to criticize the NFL. 

• Like (+1) 1

I know nothing about the team or this guy, but if he's just a bad radio host and annoying to the GM and the fans, they were probably fed up and got rid of him. We're taking his own word that the sole reason he got fired is because he said something bad about the GM. 

This reminds me of the Buffalo News situation where the writers were constantly bemoaning the Bills and it got really annoying for both the fans and ownership. I remember them publishing an article about how being a rabid fan is a "sickness" the day after the Bills had the biggest victory in 20 years. The Pegulas are rumored to have gotten them fired after that, but realistically, nobody wanted to hear their doom and gloom poor reporting anymore.

This has nothing to do with freedom of speech. He works for a company and they thought he was doing a bad job so they got rid of him. If he was valuable, he wouldn't be fired.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

The team didn't fire him, and forcing a company to continue give a platform to views they don't want seems like the opposite of free speech.

• Like (+1) 2

Since we're on the topic of repercussions for comments - was Bosa fined for his comments on the state of refereeing games in the NFL? I don't disagree with him but I was expecting to hear that the office of the Comish would be sending him a letter. Was he fined or is it still too early in the week?

• Like (+1) 1

Biting the hand that feeds you also applies to those outlets just presenting the games.  Years ago when WGR didn't have broadcast rights, they billed themselves as not feeding the listeners the company line.  As soon as the contract returned to WGR, it was back to boot licking.  There may be a few pop gun critics on the outlets that profess to be tough on the team, but they know where their paycheque comes from.