NY Times feature piece on Josh Allen

dave mcbride

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

People seem to ignore and make excuses. 

Funny how when regular people on here say similar things they get negative feedback. Those are some pretty poor evaluations and feedback from the Bills "franchise QB." Yet, some on here are saying Allen is playing better? Go figure...

What?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nedboy7 said:

i was just posting interesting parts of the article.  You are free to freak out over a couple of games.  

Who is "freaking out?"  Not me! I'm just saying Allen hasn't played well in 2 games. Wouldn't you agree? At what point do fans get concerned? 

Of course it's only 2 games and other quality QBs have had bad stretches. Expectations are high and why shouldn't they be? $250 mil and the highest paid QB should demand that. No?

I stick be my comment that he is playing poorly. 55% completion rate, 3 tds and 1 int, and 449 yards of passing. I guess you can candy coat it as "less than perfect." The defenses he faced are tough, Oline, play calling, etc. All of which are valid. However, it doesn't negate that Allen has been mediocre at best. What concerns me more than the poor stats are what my eyes are seeing. I'm seeing lots of the "old version" of Allen. His mechanics look bad, inaccurate passes, very uneasy and jittery in the pocket even with very little pressure, not looking off his primary receivers, throwing into double or triple coverages, poor long ball, etc... The Bills largely lost the Pitt game because of Allen and the offense. The Miami game was clearly won by the Bills D. 

I reiterate why are so many fans afraid to admit Allen has played poorly? It's validated by statistics and the eye ball test.  Instead, people want to spin it as "less than perfect." Give me a break. If this team is to make a super bowl run the Bills need a very good to great Allen not a less than perfect Allen.  I hope that starts on Sunday with Washington. 

Edited by newcam2012

9 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

There is no title until one clicks on it. While I agree that this is not a sensationalized, superficial piece of sports reportage, the OP's approach of just dropping a link without comment except to invite the anticipated engagement, is, in fact, clickbaiting. 

Oh please. It’s The New York Friggin’ Times, for chrissake. And no, I’m not going to bloviate about its content. Read the story yourself.

15 hours ago, WhoTom said:

It's not rare - it's called a slump. Everyone has them, and most professionals recover.

I realize Josh hasn't played up to last year's standard, but I'm confident that he'll get over it soon. He's shown us plenty of examples of how he learns from mistakes and moves forward. He'll do it again.

Like Aaron Rodgers (who also has slumps) said: R-E-L-A-X.

At what point does a slump become regression? Also, one can say he under preformed vs Balt and KC in the playoffs. At some point, we need to see a much better performance from Allen. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Disagree 1

17 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Nice….You can’t separate the blow out win from Josh Allen’s play? Since they blew out the Dolphins Allen must’ve played awesome? 

If Allen wasn’t the best player on the field the Bills lose to the Colts

8 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Of course it's only 2 games and other quality QBs have had bad stretches. Expectations are high and why shouldn't they be? $250 mil and the highest paid QB should demand that. No?

I stick be my comment that he is playing poorly. 55% completion rate, 3 tds and 1 int, and 449 yards of passing. I guess you can candy coat it as "less than perfect." The defenses he faced are tough, Oline, play calling, etc. All of which are valid. However, it doesn't negate that Allen has been mediocre at best. What concerns me more than the poor stats are what my eyes are seeing. I'm seeing lots of the "old version" of Allen. His mechanics look bad, inaccurate passes, very uneasy and jittery in the pocket even with very little pressure, not looking off his primary receivers, throwing into double or triple coverages, poor long ball, etc... The Bills largely lost the Pitt game because of Allen and the offense. The Miami game was clearly won by the Bills D. 

I reiterate why are so many fans afraid to admit Allen has played poorly? It's validated by statistics and the eye ball test.  Instead, people want to spin it as "less than perfect." Give me a break. If this team is to make a super bowl run the Bills need a very good to great Allen not a less than perfect Allen.  I hope that starts on Sunday with Washington. 

If Allen wasn’t the best player in the stadium they lose the Wild Card game to the Colts 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Who is "freaking out?"  Not me! I'm just saying Allen hasn't played well in 2 games. Wouldn't you agree? At what point do fans get concerned? 

I agree.  He has not.  I guess I'm slightly concerned?  I have no doubt he is gonna light it up.  I just dont get the posts about how he owes the fans something or now its time to produce cause of his contract or that its time to admit we made a mistake.  I find those takes to be completely off and a waste of emotional energy. 

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

It’s just easier to close your eyes and shut your ears and scream “Josh is awesome!”

Someone in another thread actually said Josh is playing better than last season to this point.😅

One person said he is playing better than last season.  One person said he should be benched.  Once those two cancel each other out I think we are all in the same boat.  With some of us less or more concerned.  Which means nothing.  Stay the course.  Let's say he has a worse year than last year.  So what.  That's football. 

Game 1 - Allen's struggles because: 1 Great D with Bill's porous Oline. Daboll is stubborn, forgot about the running plays in his playbook. All this leads to poor decision making and the Yips. 

Game 2 -Allen's struggles because: 1st half, Another good D, He's a bit shell shocked.

2nd half Allen settled in. Taking what the D would give. We mixed in the running plays well. Daboll called a much better game. Gave Josh outlets and helped a struggling O-line. Our RB's complemented each other well and played hard. This is the Allen that will come out, with better pass protection, and smart playcalling. One flaw that he has is his Hero ball mentality. He needs to look at outlets to get chunks and check out of plays that are long setups when the Oline isn't playing well. 

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, sunshynman said:

Game 1 - Allen's struggles because: 1 Great D with Bill's porous Oline. Daboll is stubborn, forgot about the running plays in his playbook. All this leads to poor decision making and the Yips. 

Game 2 -Allen's struggles because: 1st half, Another good D, He's a bit shell shocked.

2nd half Allen settled in. Taking what the D would give. We mixed in the running plays well. Daboll called a much better game. Gave Josh outlets and helped a struggling O-line. Our RB's complemented each other well and played hard. This is the Allen that will come out, with better pass protection, and smart playcalling. One flaw that he has is his Hero ball mentality. He needs to look at outlets to get chunks and check out of plays that are long setups when the Oline isn't playing well. 

Pretty solid post. I agree and disagree with it.

Game one: was a totally team loss. Allen looked pretty bad and there were contributing factors which you laid out. What surprised me was his " yips" and poor decisions. 

Game two: I disagree with him being "shell shocked." He's been in the league long enough not get to this point. The Dolphins D isn't all that. They are ok perhaps a tad above average. He didn't face relentless pressure. Imho, you could see He was off, lacking confidence, anticipating the rush, jittery in the pocket, and throwing inaccurately. He was better in the second half but still not great. His first drive was very good. At some point, I felt like the dolphins were deflated and the Bills took advantage of that. 

Disagree with the " hero ball" mentality. I think this is where Allen has grown by leaps and bounds. He frequently throws the ball away and lives for another play. I didn't see any " hero ball" plays vs Miami. 

12 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Pretty solid post. I agree and disagree with it.

Game one: was a totally team loss. Allen looked pretty bad and there were contributing factors which you laid out. What surprised me was his " yips" and poor decisions. 

Game two: I disagree with him being "shell shocked." He's been in the league long enough not get to this point. The Dolphins D isn't all that. They are ok perhaps a tad above average. He didn't face relentless pressure. Imho, you could see He was off, lacking confidence, anticipating the rush, jittery in the pocket, and throwing inaccurately. He was better in the second half but still not great. His first drive was very good. At some point, I felt like the dolphins were deflated and the Bills took advantage of that. 

Disagree with the " hero ball" mentality. I think this is where Allen has grown by leaps and bounds. He frequently throws the ball away and lives for another play. I didn't see any " hero ball" plays vs Miami. 

Ok, but I counter:

Game 1 was a Offensive and Special Teams loss. D did their job well enough to win. 

By sell shocked I mean his Yips, He gets to hyped up sometimes and leads to the Hero ball and pressing. He was pressing in the first half of the Miami game, that lead to poor decision and turnovers. It's interesting to me how he really needs to settle down after the start of a game, especially at home. I think that's all on him mentally, as he wants to be the best, in front of the home crowd. 

I don't disagree that he has settled in overall from the 2018 to now. He does less hero ball overall. But when pressure get's in his face, that's what comes out. It's really part of him, that I expect he will never loss. In that way he is much like Farve. But Allen is the most athletic and my opinion smartest QB in the game today. 

Not best QB (yet). Mahomes, because of his accomplishments and talent, is 1A. Brady (I dislike him immensely) is 1B. And Josh is 1C (based on last year and potential). But when Josh beats Pat and Tom, he will stand alone at the top.

Edited by sunshynman
words

32 minutes ago, sunshynman said:

Ok, but I counter:

Game 1 was a Offensive and Special Teams loss. D did their job well enough to win. 

By sell shocked I mean his Yips, He gets to hyped up sometimes and leads to the Hero ball and pressing. He was pressing in the first half of the Miami game, that lead to poor decision and turnovers. It's interesting to me how he really needs to settle down after the start of a game, especially at home. I think that's all on him mentally, as he wants to be the best, in front of the home crowd. 

I don't disagree that he has settled in overall from the 2018 to now. He does less hero ball overall. But when pressure get's in his face, that's what comes out. It's really part of him, that I expect he will never loss. In that way he is much like Farve. But Allen is the most athletic and my opinion smartest QB in the game today. 

Not best QB (yet). Mahomes, because of his accomplishments and talent, is 1A. Brady (I dislike him immensely) is 1B. And Josh is 1C (based on last year and potential). But when Josh beats Pat and Tom, he will stand alone at the top.

Fair enough and good explanation. I really didn't see an "over hyped" Allen that led to his mediocre play. Imho, it waa Pitts great D and game plan, vice versa, no run attack, and porous Oline. Maybe I'm wrong.

I don't think any knowlesgable football fan questions Allen's talent and potential. He does have a small sample of greatness. The last few game he's played aren't ringing endorsements of being the top QB in the league. I think he can be one of the top 5 in today's NFL. However, he has to earn it on the field. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Oh please. It’s The New York Friggin’ Times, for chrissake. And no, I’m not going to bloviate about its content. Read the story yourself.

It's not about credibility of the source you're sharing. I just think it's helpful and more interesting when the OP contains some thoughts from, in this case, you, that then compels me to click on a link contained therein. No big deal. 

On 9/23/2021 at 9:23 AM, chris heff said:

Did you read the whole article? Addresses that in second to last paragraph.

”Allen, though, hasn’t made entirely right decisions so far. After losing to Pittsburgh in Week 1, he suggested he was struggling with his footwork, and despite rebounding to thrash Miami in Week 2, Allen still committed what Pro Football Focus calls turnover-worthy plays — involving poor ball security or passes that have a strong chance of being intercepted — on a career-high 10.8 percent of his snaps.”

Josh could have a whole season of 80% pass completion for 6000 yards and 50 TDs with 5 INTs, and PFF would still come down on him for "turnover worthy plays".  For all their talk of contextual analysis, they refuse to acknowledge the context of his arm being able to do things others simply can't.  Well they mention it, but dismiss is as "arm arrogance".

22 hours ago, sunshynman said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he rated as one of the best in the league against pressure last year?

On 9/25/2021 at 12:59 PM, 1ManRaid said:

Josh could have a whole season of 80% pass completion for 6000 yards and 50 TDs with 5 INTs, and PFF would still come down on him for "turnover worthy plays".  For all their talk of contextual analysis, they refuse to acknowledge the context of his arm being able to do things others simply can't.  Well they mention it, but dismiss is as "arm arrogance".

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he rated as one of the best in the league against pressure last year?

He was killer against the blitz, but that wasn't pressure at the time. It's really how you beat any QB. If your Oline is getting pushed back in your face and the pocket collapsing, QB's make mistakes. That is exactly what everyone tries to do against Brady, Mahomes, Rogers, etc. 

2 hours ago, sunshynman said:

He was killer against the blitz, but that wasn't pressure at the time. It's really how you beat any QB. If your Oline is getting pushed back in your face and the pocket collapsing, QB's make mistakes. That is exactly what everyone tries to do against Brady, Mahomes, Rogers, etc. 

Well he torched WFT WITH pressure yesterday.  Something to the tune of 2 passing 1 rushing/scrambling TDs and 100+ yards and high completion %.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

Well he torched WFT WITH pressure yesterday.  Something to the tune of 2 passing 1 rushing/scrambling TDs and 100+ yards and high completion %.

He really was never pressured this game. O-line finally played well and gave him time and the WFT front 4 is not all that. And play calling was a much better mix. We didn't try to setup the bomb that takes 6-10 seconds to setup.