AP exclusive: Bills propose new 60k seat stadium by (update - 2025)

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.e0a752f32751563c292e4505e123f16d.jpeg

We laugh at ol' Dunkirk. But with the border being closed on and off, and the resulting loss of thousands of Canadian fans, is building closer to Rochester and Syracuse such a bad idea?

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Your question answers itself.    Let's say $1 billion of that $1.5 billion is public money.   That's the public paying $1 billion to for the benefit of maybe 100,000 fans who go to games, as well as the several hundred thousand more who want to keep the team in Buffalo.   

The next $1.5 billion, to put a dome on the place, just benefits the 100,000 who go to the games.   There are a million other people around the state, and several hundred thousand around western New York, who can rightfully say, "Why aren't you spending that $1.5 billion on me?"   Spending public money to keep the team is one thing; spending it make you more comfortable when you go to the games is something else entirely. 

FFS They built entire domed stadiums for $1.2B in the last few years. Why is adding a dome going to cost $1.5B??

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

We laugh at ol' Dunkirk. But with the border being closed on and off, and the resulting loss of thousands of Canadian fans, is building closer to Rochester and Syracuse such a bad idea?

For several reasons, I can’t get behind a stadium built that far east of Buffalo. I know it would make your commute a shorter one, but it would dramatically lengthen the commute time for the majority of ticket holders in the Bills’ market, including the 15%-20% of Canadian fans who won’t contend with a closed border (hopefully) by the time the new stadium is ready. 

• Agree 2

FFS They built entire domed stadiums for $1.2B in the last few years. Why is adding a dome going to cost $1.5B??

I don't know.  The guy I responded to said why not just spend the extra $1.5 billion to build a dome.  What do I know about building a stadium?   Ask him?

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, K-9 said:

For several reasons, I can’t get behind a stadium built that far east of Buffalo. I know it would make your commute a shorter one, but it would dramatically lengthen the commute time for the majority of ticket holders in the Bills’ market, including the 15%-20% of Canadian fans who won’t contend with a closed border (hopefully) by the time the new stadium is ready. 

All I meant was those Canadian fans will be harder to rely on if COVID border restrictions continue to pop in and out. It doesn't matter to me personally. I drive 8 hours. Saving 30 minutes isn't why I suggested this. I'm just saying you have another million+ population in Rochester and nearly a mil in Syracuse. You're losing several hundred thousand fans that used to come from Canada.

14 minutes ago, K-9 said:

The stadium in OP is a little over an hour drive from the Rochester area. Regardless of how many ticket holders are from Rochester, that’s not a significant distance. There’s plenty of NFL markets where it takes an hour to drive from suburbs to the stadium. Syracuse is extremely inconsequential, I’m willing to guess the percentage of season ticket holders from that area is relatively small. The Syracuse folks who do make the drive clearly aren’t worried about it. These are the Buffalo Bills, fans in other areas of NY should never factor into the decision making for building a stadium. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

So you're saying Letchworth is the new location 😂😂

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

All I meant was those Canadian fans will be harder to rely on if COVID border restrictions continue to pop in and out. It doesn't matter to me personally. I drive 8 hours. Saving 30 minutes isn't why I suggested this. I'm just saying you have another million+ population in Rochester and nearly a mil in Syracuse. You're losing several hundred thousand fans that used to come from Canada.

Well Promo, I’m afraid that if we are still having COVID issues in 5+ years, then I fear we are gonna have far bigger issues than where the stadium is located. 

The Bills already draw from a 1.2m population in their metro area, plus that additional 15%-20% in southern Ontario, plus Rochester. I think they’d stand to lose more than they’d stand to gain by moving so far east of their current WNY and southern Ontario markets. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I'm curious as to why they want smaller stadiums, don't you want more people there ?? Are they pricing fans out and just want rich people there.

Blame TV for making the at-home experience so good.  Especially if they insist on an open-air stadium. Here we are in a playoff chase, after making the playoffs 3 times the last 4 years, and you can buy tickets to the last 3 games for under $20! The excuse used to be the playoff drought. But really most people don't want to sit outside in December and January.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

So you're saying Letchworth is the new location 😂😂

Works for me, just a half hr drive 👍👍

Blame TV for making the at-home experience so good.  Especially if they insist on an open-air stadium. Here we are in a playoff chase, after making the playoffs 3 times the last 4 years, and you can buy tickets to the last 3 games for under $20! The excuse used to be the playoff drought. But really most people don't want to sit outside in December and January.

You really think its the weather ?? People getting soft 

I just figured the tickets cost a million bucks and people cant afford it.

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

We tend to forget that even back in our SB years, there were times when we didn’t sell out a home playoff game in January. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Fans got spoiled and didn't want to go see some wildcard team take on Houston.

Oh come on. We always have an excuse. That Houston comeback game that didn't sell out, the Bills lost to the Oilers in the final game of the regular season.  If it was people not wanting to see "just a wild card team" that's even worse than not wanting to sit outside.  We were a 2-time SB team, FFS!

Oh come on. We always have an excuse. That Houston comeback game that didn't sell out, the Bills lost to the Oilers in the final game of the regular season.  If it was people not wanting to see "just a wild card team" that's even worse than not wanting to sit outside.  We were a 2-time SB team, FFS!

its true though

According to PSE the majority of fans in their study want Orchard Park, open air. Not a vocal minority at all. 

Pegula also prefers that and said so early in his tenure as owner.

Also, winter weather does not stop the passing game. 

Tom Brady, Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers. All cold weather QBs playing in weather as bad or worse than Buffalo. 

Then there was the high flying Bills offense in the 90s. Cold and snow didn't stop a 51-3 beatdown of the Raiders in the AFC title game in Orchard Park.

Football belongs outdoors, and the idea that it disadvantages the passing game on any kind of consistent basis is demonstrably false. The Bills hardly ever play snow games at home anyway. 

It's not about a competitive advantage. It's about the fact that domes suck. 

• Agree 1

Just now, TheFunPolice said:

According to PSE the majority of fans in their study want Orchard Park, open air. Not a vocal minority at all. 

Pegula also prefers that and said so early in his tenure as owner.

And yet he watches games from a heated luxury suite. :rolleyes:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.