Good Night / Bad Night - Pre-season game 1

GunnerBill

4 hours ago, eball said:

I think Fromm had a decent outing.  No chance on those sacks.  Put the ball in good position on most of his throws (missed Duke on the deep one) and he was the only Bills QB to go downfield with the ball.

I thought Fromm was terrible... Some people just don't look like football players on the field. His poise reminded me of EJ Manuel. I could tell he was overthinking everything and overall just looked uncomfortable taking snaps. Even the 4th down completion, great accurate throw but it was a one-read nothing to think about play. Just throw it to a spot and trust Stevenson to beat his guy, which he did. Combine poor poise with Peterman level arm strength and mediocre accuracy, I see nothing to build on there. Sorry @JakeFrommStateFarm

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Your suggesting they couldn’t afford a quality CB?

They absolutely could. To this point they’ve opted to go in house. If they remain status quo it will hurt them come playoff time, I don’t think there is any doubt. 

I’d almost like to cut Addison in favor of Bam Johnson..... Addison is yet another overvalued ex Panther. 

I was ok cutting Addison, but Basham showed nothing last night.   Johnson may make the team due to specials - I admittedly forgot about him - but he’s been such a no-show in season.  

13 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They absolutely could. To this point they’ve opted to go in house. If they remain status quo it will hurt them come playoff time, I don’t think there is any doubt. 

I’d almost like to cut Addison in favor of Bam Johnson..... Addison is yet another overvalued ex Panther. 

Considering Addison was inactive that seems unlikely though.

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I see it as fans thinking in short term needs, and a GM with short and long term needs to attend to, it’s a narrower view vs a bigger picture view, they both create different priorities as it were. 

Go Bills!!!

50 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Unpopular take…..apparently

Show me Davis Webb can make the throws Fromm made on that 4th Quarter Drive and I’ll be on board with him as the unquestioned #3 this year and potential #2 next year. 

For the life of me, I don’t understand what I’m missing that so many are seeing…

Fromm had zero chance on multiple plays due to Hart literally blocking no one. 

Webb had a horrible intentional grounding penalty and made a poor throw on a pass Sweeney had to adjust to before turning up field.  All he did was dump offs and scramble.   What is everyone so excited about?

Im not saying Fromm is the answer, but I wasn’t blown away by Davis Webb. 

I don't think Davis Webb is very good. But take the one throw Fromm made to Stevenson and I don't think he makes a single throw that is a completion in a regular season game. He just doesn't have the arm. Those outs are pick 6s in real football. I was the guy saying this when Peterman looked serviceable in pre-season too. I wasn't wrong then and I am not wrong now. Webb is a bottom of the barrell NFL Quarterback. A guy who belongs somewhere between the bottom of a roster and a practice squad. Fromm doesn't belong in the league and he won't last as long as Webb has.

• Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I don't think Davis Webb is very good. But take the one throw Fromm made to Stevenson and I don't think he makes a single throw that is a completion in a regular season game. He just doesn't have the arm. Those outs are pick 6s in real football. I was the guy saying this when Peterman looked serviceable in pre-season too. I wasn't wrong then and I am not wrong now. Webb is a bottom of the barrell NFL Quarterback. A guy who belongs somewhere between the bottom of a roster and a practice squad. Fromm doesn't belong in the league and he won't last as long as Webb has.

Agreed.  I’m certainly not saying Fromm is the answer, but I see people flirting with the idea of Webb becoming Allen’s backup… ehh… show me he can make that deep throw Fromm made and we’ll talk.  

Scrambling and dump offs isn’t impressive… no idea why so many are spellbound by that. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Agreed.  I’m certainly not saying Fromm is the answer, but I see people flirting with the idea of Webb becoming Allen’s backup… ehh… show me he can make that deep throw Fromm made and we’ll talk.  

Scrambling and dump offs isn’t impressive… no idea why so many are spellbound by that. 

I don't think Fromm can really make that throw I think it was a bit of a chuck and hope that worked out. I certainly don't want Webb as Allen's backup. Hell I wasn't content with Barkley as the backup and he is better than Webb. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I don't think Fromm can really make that throw I think it was a bit of a chuck and hope that worked out. I certainly don't want Webb as Allen's backup. Hell I wasn't content with Barkley as the backup and he is better than Webb. 

Eh.. that’s not a fair criticism of Fromm. 

He’ll struggle making the the quick outs and tight window throws, but he hit the deep ball consistently at UGA

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Good night for Zimmer, bad night for Harrison Phillips. Joe Buscaglia pointed out that Zimmer barely played last night, while Phillips played the entire 1st half. That tells you where the coaches place them.

Right but he played well so. 🤷‍♂️

Fromm is the Nathan Peterman of Matt Barkleys. Doesn’t have NFL tools. Liked what I saw from Webb as QB3 on PS. 

Very impressed by Rousseau.
We need veteran OT depth bad.

TEs all looked decent.

As did most LBs.

Speedy needs to stay but hard to find a spot for him.

Nice S depth too. 

Motor added a cylinder. 
Haack is going to help. 
Spencer raw but great prospect. 

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think now you’re exaggerating to prove a point.  I rewatched that throw.  It was not a “chuck” at all; it was an impressive throw (without a big wind up or stride) that went 45 yards in the air right into Stevenson’s hands.

I don’t think Fromm is Peterman Part II.  He may not ever be a starter in the league but I didn’t see what you saw, and while I absolutely respect and enjoy your contributions to this board, your QB evaluations have not been infallible.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, eball said:

I think now you’re exaggerating to prove a point.  I rewatched that throw.  It was not a “chuck” at all; it was an impressive throw (without a big wind up or stride) that went 45 yards in the air right into Stevenson’s hands.

I don’t think Fromm is Peterman Part II.  He may not ever be a starter in the league but I didn’t see what you saw, and while I absolutely respect and enjoy your contributions to this board, your QB evaluations have not been infallible.

My Peterman evaluation was bingo spot on though wasn't it? And as crazy as it seems I took more heat for that at the time than I did for not liking the Josh Allen pick.

• Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

My Peterman evaluation was bingo spot on though wasn't it? And as crazy as it seems I took more heat for that at the time than I did for not liking the Josh Allen pick.

You (and many of us) knew Peterman was a mirage.  That one wasn’t really very hard to call.  Fromm is a different guy.  He didn’t play at Pittsburgh, he played at Georgia, at a high level, and no, he doesn’t have a rifle arm but I saw some zip last night.  The one he sort of sidearmed over the middle was a dart, just a good breakup by the defender because our 8th string WR couldn’t get separation.  And as noted above, the pass to Stevenson was a big boy throw.  Fitzy would have had to throw his whole body into that one.

I think it’s very possible Fromm is better than Webb.  As I noted this morning, Webb didn’t really impress me at all.  He completed some very easy misdirection play throws to wide open receivers.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, eball said:

You (and many of us) knew Peterman was a mirage.  That one wasn’t really very hard to call.  Fromm is a different guy.  He didn’t play at Pittsburgh, he played at Georgia, at a high level, and no, he doesn’t have a rifle arm but I saw some zip last night.  The one he sort of sidearmed over the middle was a dart, just a good breakup by the defender because our 8th string WR couldn’t get separation.  And as noted above, the pass to Stevenson was a big boy throw.  Fitzy would have had to throw his whole body into that one.

I think it’s very possible Fromm is better than Webb.  As I noted this morning, Webb didn’t really impress me at all.  He completed some very easy misdirection play throws to wide open receivers.

Okay. Well we will see. But I am pretty sure Fromm would get exposed immediately in regular season action against somebody's 1s. 

• Dislike 2

2 minutes ago, eball said:

The pass to Stevenson was gorgeous and timely, but he didn’t throw one pass that showed he has NFL requisite arm strength. He also looked rather slow in everything. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Okay. Well we will see. But I am pretty sure Fromm would get exposed immediately in regular season action against somebody's 1s. 

This is a question I hope we never have to see answered…as least not with Fromm in a Buffalo Bills uniform.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, eball said:

This is a question I hope we never have to see answered…as least not with Fromm in a Buffalo Bills uniform.

I don't think he will ever play a regular season snap for anyone. Because NFL coaches will know what the outcome would be. 

4 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The pass to Stevenson was gorgeous and timely, but he didn’t throw one pass that showed he has NFL requisite arm strength. He also looked rather slow in everything. 

I don’t want anyone to misinterpret my comments to mean I want Fromm playing regular season minutes for the Bills or that I think he could be a legit #2 to Josh at this point.  I would like to see him get a chance with something other than 3rd and 4th stringers, though.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yeah it's not really an arm strength throw while a pretty negative example Peterman can make that throw too. Better test would be able to make that throw that deep as line drive like Allen can.