Alphas first stab at the 53 as we approach first preseason game

Alphadawg7

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

RB Singletary - Moss, Brieda

FB - Gilliam (not in bold because we wont ever "start" a FB in this offense, but Gilliam will be the only FB on the roster)

Just curious, with your prediction regarding the RB's and FB.....do you see them keeping Gilliam over a 4th RB that can play ST? I agree with you about Gilliam and the FB position. I just think they keep 4 RB's and I'm looking at your list to try and see who would be replaced for that 4th RB. And going by your list I think it could be Gilliam. 

Either way, will be a few tough decisions to be made for sure, which is a good thing.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Great job alpha.  That’s pretty much where I’m at minus addison.  I HOPE that we cut him, but I don’t see it happening.  Keeping 5  DTs is another question mark.  Tough to predict but I don’t see us cutting Zimmer or butler…..same goes for the other 3. Still wish we could somehow upgrade cb2.  

Agree about the upgrade at CB2.  Levi isn't bad.  And Jackson seems like a gamer who hopefully has a lot of upside.  But Wallace is not overly athletic, and while he can tackle well, he has trouble staying w speed receivers and has to give a lot of cushion.  To really compete for the Super Bowl I think we need someone a little more talented then Levi at CB2.  The Bills did not make a lot of changes to last years roster.  (We did go 15-4 overall)  However, I hope if Jackson shows that he can consistently make plays that they don't just start Levi ahead of him, because they are more comfortable with him out there.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I can't figure out the d-line for the life of me. Oliver, Hughes, Epenesa, Rousseau, Basham, and Lotulelei are locks. Starting to feel like Obada is a lock too. They kept 9 last year so that leaves 2 spots left. If they just keep the vets Addison and Butler that leaves room for no one else. But I can't see Zimmer and Phillips and Darryl Johnson all failing to make the team.

So I think you could be right that they keep 11 d-linemen. Keep 1 of Zimmer/Phillips (or both with Butler getting cut) and Johnson for his special teams. Last year they kept 3 TEs and 6 LBs, if they keep 2 and 5 respectively that makes up the difference.

Yeah, I had a hard time there too.  We have unique combination of circumstances this year, especially at DE:

• We are a top 3 SB Favorite coming off a season where pass rush was a weakness along with interior defense.
  • We have 3 young DE's drafted first 2 rounds last 2 drafts (AJE, Rousseau, and Boogie)
  • We have quality veteran guys nearing end of their career in Addison and Hughes and one or both likely wont be here past this season.
  • Our FA signee Obada is having a strong camp proving his worth to the roster
  • We have struggled to beat KC and watched Bucs dismantle them by getting to Mahomes

So that all adds up to a tough puzzle to figure out that I think leans towards to keeping more DL than they traditionally would this year.  One way or another, there are some good players who wont be on this roster week 1 at a number of positions.  Hopefully Beane gets some trade value out of them instead of just having to cut them though.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Just curious, with your prediction regarding the RB's and FB.....do you see them keeping Gilliam over a 4th RB that can play ST? I agree with you about Gilliam and the FB position. I just think they keep 4 RB's and I'm looking at your list to try and see who would be replaced for that 4th RB. And going by your list I think it could be Gilliam. 

Either way, will be a few tough decisions to be made for sure, which is a good thing.

The reason I have us keeping just 2 TE's right now, is because I think Gilliam is essentially a 3rd TE even though he would be kept as a "FB".  So I think Gilliam most likely remains on this roster.  

But RB is a very interesting situation with really 4 RBs having a strong camp so far in Devin, Moss, Brieda and AW.  But if Gilliam wasn't kept, I think it would be to keep Sweeney though rather than a 4th RB who wont even be active on gameday.

I wont rule out keeping 4 RB's, however, I think we most likely keep 3.  And if AW makes his case for one of those 3, then I think we will likely see Beane first try and trade one of the other 3 rather than go into each week with only 2 TE's (again Gillian basically is a 3rd TE as a FB). 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:
  • We have 3 young DE's drafted first 2 rounds last 2 drafts (AJE, Rousseau, and Boogie)
  • We have quality veteran guys nearing end of their career in Addison and Hughes and one or both likely wont be here past this season.
  • Our FA signee Obada is having a strong camp proving his worth to the roster

imo the rookie that looks most impressive makes it and other may go to PS. I think Obada makes the 53 also. I feel confident saying he is a lock.

Just now, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

imo the rookie that looks most impressive makes it and other may go to PS. I think Obada makes the 53 also. I feel confident saying he is a lock.

I don't think there is any possibility they will risk either Rousseau or Boogie on the PS.  I cant imagine any scenario where we will risk a first or 2nd round pick on our PS given they are the future of our position and invested valuable draft assets into them.  And both have been drawing praise from coaches and players all offseason.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

I think we need to keep Sweeney for the third TE. I think you will see someone like Taiwan Jones cut, he doesn't fill a role outside of special teams while other guys do. I think Addison could be the odd man out. Also I think they throw a young guy WR on "IR" to make room for everyone. We have guys we don't want to lose in the next 2-3 years but aren't able to get in the line up this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Unless that 4th RB makes a good impact on ST. Then could be active. I don't know, just guesses for all of us. Will be interesting to see how it goes.

True, but in that case I think 3 would be active...one of them being the ST guy.  Just based on how they have done things in the past thus far

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

True, but in that case I think 3 would be active...one of them being the ST guy.  Just based on how they have done things in the past thus far

Does Brieda play much ST? Honestly haven't checked. If so then I agree

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I don't think there is any possibility they will risk either Rousseau or Boogie on the PS.  I cant imagine any scenario where we will risk a first or 2nd round pick on our PS given they are the future of our position and invested valuable draft assets into them.  And both have been drawing praise from coaches and players all offseason.  

Yeah you're probably correct. I was thinking if the vets are clearly out playing one of the rookies in that scenario. But doubt that happens, so it's more likely Butler or Addison would be let go to keep rookies on.

1 hour ago, No_Matter_What said:

I have no idea who will make 53, but 23 offense and 27 defense? That seems pretty unlikely to me.

I agree. Light on the offense. I think we will take 3 TE's for sure.

Someone (maybe two someones) on the defensive line is not going to make the team. No way we take that many.

36 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

The reason I have us keeping just 2 TE's right now, is because I think Gilliam is essentially a 3rd TE even though he would be kept as a "FB".  So I think Gilliam most likely remains on this roster.  

But RB is a very interesting situation with really 4 RBs having a strong camp so far in Devin, Moss, Brieda and AW.  But if Gilliam wasn't kept, I think it would be to keep Sweeney though rather than a 4th RB who wont even be active on gameday.

I wont rule out keeping 4 RB's, however, I think we most likely keep 3.  And if AW makes his case for one of those 3, then I think we will likely see Beane first try and trade one of the other 3 rather than go into each week with only 2 TE's (again Gillian basically is a 3rd TE as a FB). 

I just think they wouldn't go so light at BOTH RB and TE by keeping Gilliam. Yes, he can kind of slot into both of those position groups, but you still don't have the numbers you need, in my opinion.

As much as individual positions you see how keeping a extra position of depth depleates another.  Also, as the cuts come who is likely to come back and who gets picked up?  Before preseason starts I feel this is the baseline.  How the bottom plays out will be determine by their play. 

The defense plays nickel way more.  More Dbs less linebakers imo.  I think LB is Edmunds, Milano with Klien, Dodson and Adams reserves.  Sleeper is Wildgoose or Lewis balling in the slot.  I would like to see them go 6 cbs.  

Nice write up. I say this every year…there are really very few roster spots up for grabs, so I’m thrilled they eliminated the meaningless fourth preseason game. So seeing it laid out the way it is in this 53 man projection, who’s the surprise cut? There’s almost always one. My guess? It’s in the defensive line. Someone is going to go that you didn’t expect. I’m guessing the team gets younger so I’m saying Addison.

• Thank you (+1) 1