• Raintree Inn
    • La Nova
    • Gabriel's Gate
    • Nine-Eleven Tavern
    • The 33 Speakeasy Grill
    • Route78 Street Bar
    • Mr Goodbar

On 7/26/2021 at 12:39 PM, Rico said:

Stay away from Rochester, they serve puke on a plate there.

Garbage plates RULE.  And we got Country Sweet for the last game.  Put THAT in your pipe and smoke it!

I've only been to Duff's and it was almost a decade ago.  I don't even remember what location but there was a huge guy that had to be a Bill clogging up the front entrance with a crowd.

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

As I mentioned somewhere else, I was at a pizza place this week and the price for their wings on the menu was “Market”.  What is this. LOBSTER? It’s gotten crazy! 

I used to HATE this, but my son would order wings naked with the sauce on the side. I must admit, it kept them crispier, even if it brought shame on our family roots.

i'm ok with the shame.  i've done a lot worse.  in regards to the cost...it's absurd.  i ordered wings at a local place last week for dinner when we went out to get a quick bite.  it was $17 for 10.  that's insane.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Augie said:

I used to HATE this, but my son would order wings naked with the sauce on the side. I must admit, it kept them crispier, even if it brought shame on our family roots.

Same here, but then I moved out of western NY. Really the only way to have them cooked correctly out of town unless you’re lucky to find a great place or a joint run by a transplant. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Billschinatown said:

Wings are getting really expensive lately!

I know the owners of Gabriel’s Gate and was talking with one of them about exactly that not too long ago.  Wings are expensive and the restaurants aren’t even making money on them.  They just hope that people who order them get beer too.  Chicken breast is literally cheaper than wings.  Supply and demand.  

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

I know the owners of Gabriel’s Gate and was talking with one of them about exactly that not too long ago.  Wings are expensive and the restaurants aren’t even making money on them.  They just hope that people who order them get beer too.  Chicken breast is literally cheaper than wings.  Supply and demand.  

My friends pizzeria has added chicken thighs to the menu because wings are so expensive

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

My friends pizzeria has added chicken thighs to the menu because wings are so expensive

I’ve seen stuff like that and drumsticks getting put on menus in other places.   I have a friend that owns a dive bar in Phoenix and he was complaining about the price of wings skyrocketing - and that was 10 or 12 years ago!  Now it’s totally insane. 

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

I’ve seen stuff like that and drumsticks getting put on menus in other places.   I have a friend that owns a dive bar in Phoenix and he was complaining about the price of wings skyrocketing - and that was 10 or 12 years ago!  Now it’s totally insane. 

Some butter old bay cayenne dry rub I made the other day 

thumbnail.jpeg

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Actually I use ATK’s exact recipe and method for Korean Fried Chicken Wings.  No modifications needed and the sauce has easily overtaken Frank’s and butter and other sauces as the house favorite.  So far it has been unanimous among friends and family as the best wings any of us have had.  Here is a video of the recipe:

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Actually I use ATK’s exact recipe and method for Korean Fried Chicken Wings.  No modifications needed and the sauce has easily overtaken Frank’s and butter and other sauces as the house favorite.  So far it has been unanimous among friends and family as the best wings any of us have had.  Here is a video of the recipe:

Give this a shot.  

https://www.seriouseats.com/korean-fried-chicken-recipe

Its essentially the same technique except substituting some of the water for vodka. Vodka has a lower evaporation point and also alcohol inhibits gluten formation which can make your batter leathery if it sits too long.  I subbed Wondra flour which has lower protein content.  

If I'm going korean style I make a sauce out of gochujang, honey, a touch of soy, sesame oil, garlic and ginger, and apple cider vinegar for some tang.

• Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Give this a shot.  

https://www.seriouseats.com/korean-fried-chicken-recipe

Its essentially the same technique except substituting some of the water for vodka. Vodka has a lower evaporation point and also alcohol inhibits gluten formation which can make your batter leathery if it sits too long.  I subbed Wondra flour which has lower protein content.  

If I'm going korean style I make a sauce out of gochujang, honey, a touch of soy, sesame oil, garlic and ginger, and apple cider vinegar for some tang.

That’s great thanks.  I appreciate the recommendation.  My three top “go to” places for recipes are: ATK, Serious Eats and Amazing Ribs.  But I hadn’t seen SE’s wings.  

33 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

That’s great thanks.  I appreciate the recommendation.  My three top “go to” places for recipes are: ATK, Serious Eats and Amazing Ribs.  But I hadn’t seen SE’s wings.  

SE's confit then hot fried wing recipe is pretty great if you don't want to go the route of battering.  

https://www.seriouseats.com/ultimate-extra-crispy-double-fried-confit-buffalo-wings

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

SE's confit then hot fried wing recipe is pretty great if you don't want to go the route of battering.  

https://www.seriouseats.com/ultimate-extra-crispy-double-fried-confit-buffalo-wings

That looks great.  I may give it a go.  Also I was considering doing a smoke then fry sometime.  Smoked wings taste great but getting the skin crispy is nearly impossible and that pretty much ruins them for me.  

On 9/28/2021 at 9:24 PM, buffarchitectfan said:

Dude is this place still open?? I do think that they had done good wings back in the day when I played softball and they were our sponsor. I may need to swing by. 

I drove by today and it's not there anymore. Sad. they had some great wings. Anyone remember Sutter's mill? That building is gone too. 

Edited by buffarchitectfan

1 hour ago, buffarchitectfan said:

I drove by today and it's not there anymore. Sad. they had some great wings. Anyone remember Sutter's mill? That building is gone too. 

I checked for Sutter's a couple weeks ago, too. 

30 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

Any coating with flour or corn starch is immediate disqualification of a “by definition”Buffalo Wing. What’s next? Dipping in Ranch? Lol

While i was on vacation my friend's wife, a great cook but not from Buffalo, made wings for the WFT game. They were very good, but she coated them in baking powder because she read they helped make the wings crispy. The wings were crispy. They were "fine". I had a few. But there is ZERO need to coat them to make they crispy and they changed the flavor and texture of the wings. That and they weren't nearly hot enough for me.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.