Beasley breaking "Omerta"

Message added by Hapless Bills Fan,

There are certain topics that have been "done to death" here recently.  The horse is dead and has been thoroughly beaten and flayed. 

Everybody and his Cat have had more than enough chance to express their personal viewpoint - Over.  and Over.  And Over.  again. 

Every aspect of the situation has been discussed - several times.  Let me say that again:  EVERY ASPECT of the situation has been discussed, several times.

In theory, it should be fine, we should be able to talk about it.  In practice, people tend to lose their temper on these threads, start slinging insults back and forth.  Others get into General Political or Covid discussion, against Scott's pinned request (which is there for good reason). 

It makes work for the Mods who would rather be drinking beer and watching the 'maters grow, or napping.

If you're here long enough to start threads, you know to search before starting new topics, so if you don't already know there have been umpteen Beasley's Tweets and Ertz Trade threads that have all wound up locked for going "off the rails", you should be able to figure it out.

Start a new thread right after another has been locked, Be Very Careful - you take your chances on warnings/suspensions from Mods.

3 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

You seem to want to argue what you're victimizing him over, by assuming I meant his vaccination stance. Then you proceed to victimize over other shyt.  All I said is that you are victimizing him.  By doing so, you become part of the distraction.

By criticizing him I'm victimizing him? I think i'd like to ask how you're defining victimizing?

I'm definitely open to feedback on my own part, and it's not my intention to victimize anyone. But I'm obviously giving you the impression that I am, so I'd like to understand this.

10 minutes ago, Demongyz said:

The first polio vaccine that came out was actually giving polio to those who got it.  People resisted, they pulled it.  5 years later they came out with a good vaccine.

There is also a major difference between polio, smallpox and covid.  Most people who get covid get a cold. 30% of people who got smallpox died.  

611,000 people and counting🤐

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, appoo said:

By criticizing him I'm victimizing him? I think i'd like to ask how you're defining victimizing?

I'm definitely open to feedback on my own part, and it's not my intention to victimize anyone. But I'm obviously giving you the impression that I am, so I'd like to understand this.

This distraction you and others are speaking of...it takes two.  I'll simply leave it at that. 

2 minutes ago, appoo said:

And if you don't the trust the vaccine, then don't get the vaccine.

There's protocols setup for both the vaccinated and unvaccinated in the NFL. 

This is the equivalent to people who loudly complain about not being able to donate blood, after constantly engaging in unsafe sex with multiple partners.

(The vaccines available do not make use of the COVID virus FYI, so you're example would be impossible here, though I assume you're using this as an example of why people are hesitant)

I'm aware and am vaccinated, just saying it's not a fair comparison between said vaccines and if people thought they were going to die, they would get the shot, they just make an educated decision.  If someone fears they will die, get the shot, but they shouldn't act like they are going to die if someone else doesn't get it.

2 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

1.7% death rate.

3 minutes ago, Demongyz said:

I'm aware and am vaccinated, just saying it's not a fair comparison between said vaccines and if people thought they were going to die, they would get the shot, they just make an educated decision.  If someone fears they will die, get the shot, but they shouldn't act like they are going to die if someone else doesn't get it.

Agree with the spirit of your post. (though parents with children U12 will have a different take on this)

Again I go back to Josh Allen, who came out publicly as vaccine hesitant and still the only public info we have on him, and yet there's no controvery over him currently, and he's still a media darling.

Basically my message to Beasley is - be like Josh Allen.

Edited by appoo
  • Agree 1

we all have our opinions on this, and that's fine.  if people can't see the lash back to cole is 99% of how he's handling this on social media, then you're just ignoring the obvious.  he's not brave for doing what's he's doing...he's gotten to the point of being obnoxious.   if he doesn't want the reaction, he needs to take a step back.  i love him as a buffalo bill, but that's pretty much where it ends at this point.  he's showing to be selfish.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

3 hours ago, VaMilBill said:

I don’t understand all the Beasley hate. I know it’s an unpopular opinion to be against vaccination, but I feel like people are making him out to be evil. It’s his choice. 

fwiw, I’m vaccinated myself

First, Beasley is making a choice to make himself unreasonably vulnerable to a virus that could put him out of action for a week, a month or forever.  His belief that he is better off without the vaccine makes him much more unreliable to play this season.  

Second, Beasley is clearly a distraction, which is bad for any team. He selfishly makes himself a center of controversy for no reason than to espouse his conspiracy theories. 

Third, what public figures say and do make a significant impact on public attitudes and decision making.  Right now there are many people who will latch onto Beasley's comments to confirm preconceived notions over the vaccine. Chances are at least one fan won't take the vaccine because of Beasley, and that fan could suffer long-term effects or even die. 

What we say and conduct ourselves has an impact on others. Especially sports figures. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Solomon Grundy said:

It's intellectually dishonest to just drop this, like so many do.  Morbidity of covid is much more complicated than just throwing out this total.  Something like 95% of these were people over 60 with other complications.  Covid is really hard on old, out of shape people.  Hopefully all of them have been vaccinated.  I have.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, teef said:

we all have our opinions on this, and that's fine.  if people can't see the lash back to cole is 99% of how he's handling this on social media, then you're just ignoring the obvious.  he's not brave for doing what's he's doing...he's gotten to the point of being obnoxious.   if he doesn't want the reaction, he needs to take a step back.  i love him as a buffalo bill, but that's pretty much where it ends at this point.  he's showing to be selfish.

Yep. He's just acting like a prick.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

This distraction you and others are speaking of...it takes two.  I'll simply leave it at that. 

I get what you're saying, but a lot of people view Beasley's rhetoric as dangerous. I think it's irritating, and especially irritating when he firmly stand behind blatantly incorrect concepts - such what he thinks is more or less statistically likely.

I think you're suggesting to just ignore him, but that's not really how a free society works. You debate.

8 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

It's intellectually dishonest to just drop this, like so many do.  Morbidity of covid is much more complicated than just throwing out this total.  Something like 95% of these were people over 60 with other complications.  Covid is really hard on old, out of shape people.  Hopefully all of them have been vaccinated.  I have.

I think this thread is walking now that narrow covid passage way we are all trying to avoid. people dropping covid numbers and being more specific to just covid and not the player I think this topic walked down the narrow covid path, out the door and is falling into that rabbit hole we should not go into

Edited by PrimeTime101
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

https://www.cbs46.com/news/as-delta-variant-rapidly-spreads-concerns-mount-after-north-georgia-boy-dies-from-covid-19/article_5d74a38a-e9c9-11eb-9013-2b5adb00b104.html

Facts. Just saying. I’m done mods.

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Time to lock it

giphy.gif

WHY?

This discussion is about Beasley being a distraction to the team.

It is a very valid discussion.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, cd1 said:

WHY?

This discussion is about Beasley being a distraction to the team.

It is a very valid discussion.

No... This topic people are just talking about covid and covid deaths... We have gone into the rabbit hole we are told to avoid. read up. the topic has gone off topic.

• Thank you (+1) 1