Beasley breaking "Omerta"

Message added by Hapless Bills Fan,

There are certain topics that have been "done to death" here recently.  The horse is dead and has been thoroughly beaten and flayed. 

Everybody and his Cat have had more than enough chance to express their personal viewpoint - Over.  and Over.  And Over.  again. 

Every aspect of the situation has been discussed - several times.  Let me say that again:  EVERY ASPECT of the situation has been discussed, several times.

In theory, it should be fine, we should be able to talk about it.  In practice, people tend to lose their temper on these threads, start slinging insults back and forth.  Others get into General Political or Covid discussion, against Scott's pinned request (which is there for good reason). 

It makes work for the Mods who would rather be drinking beer and watching the 'maters grow, or napping.

If you're here long enough to start threads, you know to search before starting new topics, so if you don't already know there have been umpteen Beasley's Tweets and Ertz Trade threads that have all wound up locked for going "off the rails", you should be able to figure it out.

Start a new thread right after another has been locked, Be Very Careful - you take your chances on warnings/suspensions from Mods.

39 minutes ago, Demongyz said:

Words can be broken so can bones.  -Lamb of God "Omerta"

I get where he is coming from.  He doesn't feel he is going to die from it because he is in great health and feels that the vaccination would be more risky.  Good for him.  We should all make our own decision based on our health and talking to our doctors.

I got the vaccine as soon as it was available because I wanted to go to work without a mask, go into public without a mask.  I also believe anyone who has had covid should not need the vaccine.  Cole can do what he wants and if he has to suffer the consequences that's his deal.  I know we want him to be available and to do that he may have to fall in line, but this is his choice.

Exactly!

While hopefully keeping quiet on social media from here on out and not being a locker room cancer.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, VaMilBill said:

I don’t understand all the Beasley hate. I know it’s an unpopular opinion to be against vaccination, but I feel like people are making him out to be evil. It’s his choice. 

fwiw, I’m vaccinated myself

The issue is he is being loud and me first. He's being a classic diva about this instead of quietly going about his business. I don't care what he does, I would just like him to STFU about it. 

Edited by blitzboy54
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, VaMilBill said:

I don’t understand all the Beasley hate. I know it’s an unpopular opinion to be against vaccination, but I feel like people are making him out to be evil. It’s his choice. 

fwiw, I’m vaccinated myself

Pease stop with the "it's his choice" BS.  We're seeing it now.  If enough people don't get vaccinated, it allows the virus to mutate and spread.  We live in a society.  If you live in that society, you need to obey the rules of that society.  I'm all for mandatory vaccination so that everyone in the society can be protected.  We did mandatory vaccinations in the past for smallpox.  We would have done it for polio in the 50's but I guess people weren't stupid enough back then to fail to protect their children from lifetime paralysis.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

Just now, st pete gogolak said:

Pease stop with the "it's his choice" BS.  We're seeing it now.  If enough people don't get vaccinated, it allows the virus to mutate and spread.  We live in a society.  If you live in that society, you need to obey the rules of that society.  I'm all for mandatory vaccination so that everyone in the society can be protected.  We did mandatory vaccinations in the past for smallpox.  We would have done it for polio in the 50's but I guess people weren't stupid enough back then to fail to protect their children from lifetime paralysis.

I don’t wish to have this thread locked on my account, so I’d simply suggest you look at the EU vax rates and what’s going on there before you make statements villifying unvaccinated individuals as to why we have these variants.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, appoo said:

The problem is that he doesn't understand basic percentages. Breakthrough cases are insanely rare (Vaccine effectiveness has been something like 99%) and there's a literal surge among the unvaccinated right now, that's mimicking past surges.  It's being reported heavily from all kinds of different outlets.

Fact of the matter is that it is still possible to get it while vaccinated, and if he lives his normal life and has the same freedom of movement within the facility as players who've been vaccinated, then he's a higher risk vector than everyone else. This is statistically inarguable. Especially since the testing is less reliable than the vaccine itself.  False negatives aren't uncommon, especially with rapid testing.

If he wants to go unvaccinated, that's his choice. But what's irritating is the refusal to acknowledge basic fact and basic statistics, and now even worse - he's acting like a victim in all this, when it was HIS choice to not get vaccinated.

That's because you're victimizing him, no?

3 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

That's because you're victimizing him, no?

How am I doing that? I have no idea what Josh Allen's vaccination status is, and I really don't care. I'm not attacking anyone over their vaccination stance here.

I'm being critical of BEasley because he's making himself available to be criticized by being loudly against the NFL's vaccination protocols, railing against COVID vaccinations, and making himself the story in this - often with (at best) questionable points.  I didn't ask him to do that. But once you make yourself a public object, and ask the debate to be around your own terms - you invite critical thought

Edited by appoo
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Nineforty said:

haha dont want to hijack this too much but yes---started it recently and at end of season 2.

im always a decade or two behind (just watched pretty much every star trek show for the first time lol). 

I began watching Frasier reruns and laugh every night 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

The first polio vaccine that came out was actually giving polio to those who got it.  People resisted, they pulled it.  5 years later they came out with a good vaccine.

There is also a major difference between polio, smallpox and covid.  Most people who get covid get a cold. 30% of people who got smallpox died.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, SCBills said:

fwiw…. **** authority.  

I understand, in this case, it’s the Bills FO and the NFL, but Cole, like many, sees the pointlessness and hypocrisy. 

I stated before that I wish Cole would chill on the social media a bit…. But I certainly wouldn’t advise him to do so because “we need to obey authority”.   We’ve done that, for over a year… The more we obey, the more they take… and that’s the genesis of Cole’s frustration.  

Relax on social media for your teammates, so they don’t have to deal with controversy.   That’s who he should do it for.  No one else… and certainly not “authority”. 

It is one thing to protest or "defy" government.

It's a hole 'nuther thing to "defy" your EMPLOYER!

Consequences in the second case could be hard to swallow?

6 minutes ago, appoo said:

How am I doing that? I have no idea what Josh Allen's vaccination status is, and I really don't care. I'm not attacking anyone over their vaccination stance here.

I'm being critical of BEasley because he's making himself available to be criticized by being loudly against the NFL's vaccination protocols, railing against COVID vaccinations, and making himself the story in this - often with (at best) questionable points.  I didn't ask him to do that. But once you make yourself a public object, and ask the debate to be around your own terms - you invite critical thought

You seem to want to argue what you're victimizing him over, by assuming I meant his vaccination stance. Then you proceed to victimize over other shyt.  All I said is that you are victimizing him.  By doing so, you become part of the distraction.

Edited by Pokebball

3 minutes ago, Demongyz said:

The first polio vaccine that came out was actually giving polio to those who got it.  People resisted, they pulled it.  5 years later they came out with a good vaccine.

There is also a major difference between polio, smallpox and covid.  Most people who get covid get a cold. 30% of people who got smallpox died.  

And if you don't the trust the vaccine, then don't get the vaccine.

There's protocols setup for both the vaccinated and unvaccinated in the NFL. 

This is the equivalent to people who loudly complain about not being able to donate blood, after constantly engaging in unsafe sex with multiple partners.

(The vaccines available do not make use of the COVID virus FYI, so you're example would be impossible here, though I assume you're using this as an example of why people are hesitant)

• Like (+1) 1

You do have to love the logic of "One guy that's vaccinated got COVID, ergo, I'm not going to get vaccinated."

Per everyone else in the thread, just stop talking on Twitter for a bit, Cole...

• Agree 1